Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Failed on handbrake- how to adjust cable itself (not lever)

Views : 2475

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2021, 18:41   #1
mjk164
VOC Member

Default Failed on handbrake- how to adjust cable itself (not lever)

Hi all,

2005 XC70 failed MOT today on handbrake efficiency. No other faults at all, not even advisories! They said it is at 8% efficiency while the minimum is 16%. Using my sloping driveway I found that it held at 12 clicks (which I know is massive) so I thought if I can get it to stop on 6 clicks we should be there. Nope!

I've opened up the drums and checked for the dreaded de lamination and the drums and shoes are fine (they're only 10 months old) but I did clean them up a bit with some emery paper.

The lever is now impossible to raise any further than 9 clicks but the handbrake is no more effective. Some folk have suggested backing the cable itself right off before adjusting the lever- how do you do that? I can't seem to find a procedure for that task itself.

Minded also to get some adjusters instead of the 'H' shaped pieces but that will also need slacking the cables off.

Is it worth just changing the cables? Anyone know how to check that they're the problem?

Thanks

Last edited by mjk164; Oct 20th, 2021 at 19:04.
mjk164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 19:55   #2
TLPower

I fitted Bendix shoes to my V70, new cables, new discs. 4 clicks but the wheels wouldn't lock. I fitted some genuine Volvo shoes and low and behold the wheels lock.
TLPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 20:57   #3
mjk164
VOC Member

Thanks for the tip. I'm quite happy to fork out for genuine shoes on this, especially as there was literally nothing else wrong with the car.
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 15:14   #4
100K+
Premier Member

Have you checked that the inner cables are freely moving within their outer’s. If a cable is stuck/sticking the handbrake lever will not be effectively pulling the brake shoes on and the brake will never work well. Also check how much cant is on the swivel bar at the rear of the single cable that runs immediately behind the handbrake lever. There is only so much variance the bar can adjust out.

Cheers Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 15:45   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

Car on level ground, handbrake off then tighten the lever nut until the point of the handbrake holding the car on one click and releasing fully when the handbrake is released.

If that doesn't work, you need new hardware which could be anything from new cables to new shoes or new discs or all the above.
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 19:31   #6
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

If you're happy to fork out for shoes why not just dig slightly deeper and be happy to replace the whole lot, in for a penny and all that, is really not that expensive a job

From memory;
=============
Cables about 30 quid each? (X2)
Proper volvo shoes I think i picked up all 4 for 40 quid
New set of springs 15-20 quid
(get volvo ones for the shoe retaining springs because I got cheap ones first and they were sh1t)
New short cable at lever end, 15quid
New expanders were about 15-20 i think but you can probably just clean up and regrease the old ones

At the risk of dredging up an age old debate the adjusters are about 15 quid as well if you want them, officially they are not necessary but I like the option to be able to adjust. Wound right in they are the same as the standard spacers

You don't need them
Added to make sure advice is correct

Excluding discs and pads (which may or may not be necessary but certainly makes sense to deal with at the same time) it should be under £150 to do the job completely

Allow a whole weekend and start early on the Saturday because on paper is a simple job but in reality it's a bit of a faff

Tie strings to your cables before pulling them out and it's a piece of p1ss to pull the new ones in

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Oct 21st, 2021 at 19:39.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 19:37   #7
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Make sure expanders are crimped tightly onto cable end because the last thing you want is to pull the handle hard and it pings out and you have to dismantle it all again.

I know its possible because it happened to me. Hence allow time to be methodical and do it right once

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 11:58   #8
mjk164
VOC Member

So, I've managed to get off the centre console to view the ends of the cables and it's not what I was expecting to see. I thought the piece with the hooks would be pitched over to one side suggested a seized cable, but it is in fact level and both cables move easily and together. Maybe there's nothing wrong with the cables?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20211022-WA0009.jpg (116.5 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by mjk164; Oct 22nd, 2021 at 12:03.
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 12:08   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

Have you tightened the nut with the handbrake off as suggested?
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 12:49   #10
mjk164
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Have you tightened the nut with the handbrake off as suggested?

Yep, tried that this morning just before that picture. Tightened up as far as the the nut will go, it still doesn't hold the car but the pivot remains level.