Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Failed on handbrake- how to adjust cable itself (not lever)

Views : 2477

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 13:20   #11
JoeNinety

Looking at the picture, the swivel seems to be tucked in behind a metal plate on the body. It should be free and above that....
Have VIDA & VXDIAG NANO on W10Pro - happy to help
JoeNinety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 13:36   #12
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk164 View Post
Yep, tried that this morning just before that picture. Tightened up as far as the the nut will go, it still doesn't hold the car but the pivot remains level.
Sounds like mine was 5 years ago @14 years old and yours is a similar age.
I changed everything in one go so both cables, the central cable which join them to the handbrake lever, rear discs, pads, handbrake shoes and springs.

As it worked out of the factory and I was restoring factory operation, no additional adjusters were fitted or needed and the handbrake still works perfectly after 5 years with a 5 minute tightening of the lever adjuster nut every couple of years.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 15:29   #13
mjk164
VOC Member

So I've just had the discs off and watched both sides while the handle was operated and both expanders seem to be working fine, with the shoes top and bottom on both sides moving well.

That would suggest the cables are working fine so I'm totally stumped, unless I'm missing something?

The drums do have a small lip on them so that could be the problem, but a set of adjusters would take that up wouldn't they?

Still happy to buy new discs pads and shoes though!
mjk164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 16:04   #14
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk164 View Post
both expanders seem to be working fine, with the shoes top and bottom on both sides moving well.

That would suggest the cables are working fine so I'm totally stumped, unless I'm missing something?
You're missing that the point of the cables isn't just to move the expanders but to move the expanders with enough outward force to hold the car.
The lever nut eliminates an inefficient handbrake pull by expanding the shoes to the point where they're just off making contact with the drum.
Pulling the handbrake lever then forces and locks the shoes in position with minimal dead movement.
Correctly adjusted, the car holds on one click and as little as 5 clicks becomes difficult to achieve.

You're out of adjustment on 16 year old cables so will no longer get the strong action which tells me that you need cables as a minimum but given the disassembly required, you may as well change everything and be done.
Adjusters could take up the dead air but you're still on 16 year old cables so not ideal.

I've read a lot of handbrake threads and all too many seem to contain attempts to half do the job in one form or another and most end the same way by either doing the job properly or deriding the P2 handbrake which is actually very good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 16:17   #15
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

in terms of actually replacing the cables I'm assuming it's the same as the V70 in which case.. you do need to pull out the bottom cushions of your rear seats, and lift up the carpet which also means popping off the plastic side trims, but it's really not that bad a job

the messing about with the shoes and drum and the fiddly b@s5£$% springs was way more time-consuming for me

I watched this first and then found it to be a very easy job https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTLZuz70nEk
you've already got the console out so skip to 4:45

just in case you're being put off by it seeming like a bit of a nuisance to do

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 18:27   #16
mjk164
VOC Member

So in the time since my last update the pair of adjusters arrived, so I fitted them (a 5 minute job with the discs alreadyoff) a d as was said elsewhere on this forum, adjusted through a wheel bolt hole. They made an instant difference and it now holds on 3 clicks, not 12! Can't get the free retest until Wednesday but on those figures, I'm pretty hopeful.

And yes, Cheshire and Stuart are both absolutely right, the correct way to do this is to change the cables and the rest of it (they're on order) and having removed all the trim for the centre console, the rear carpet doesnt look too daunting now!

Thanks all for assistance and I'll let you know how the retest goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to mjk164 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 18:34   #17
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

well in all fairness I should deflect that kudos back at Cheshired who has had this debate with me in the recent past and is far more knowledgeable

yes it is the 'right' way to do it, let's not go down that rabbit hole again lol

but sometimes, a bodge can be just what you need for a short term solution

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 18:52   #18
cheshired5
Premier Member

In fairness to me, I have had my car for 9 years and intend to keep it forever so that dictates the longevity of any fixes I carry out or advise others.
If there's an option to restore factory spec on any part of the car, that's almost always my first choice but I do like a cheap or free workaround if it's going to last.

Short term fixes, bodges, whatever we call them all have a very valid place depending on personal circumstances or how long the car is intended to be kept.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 15:39   #19
mjk164
VOC Member

Update- it passed the retest. Those adjusters clearly do the trick!
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 17:18   #20
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

it'll be glazed shoes, change the shoes as a minimum, also bear in mind the disc has a minimum thickness!
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote