Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wiper missing part of the windshield

Views : 6744

Replies : 64

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2023, 15:02   #11
mark2410

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEngineer View Post
Sounds interesting?
On another car I own this problem is caused by the wiper pivot moving in its rubber mounting. This one is fixed by applying a 'penny washer' to the outside of the rubber pivot.
err applying a what now??

Oh i googled, how exactly did you apply it?
2018 v90 D4 LHD
2009 C30 T5
mark2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 18:38   #12
OldEngineer

If it's the same it will be the mounting washers at the extremes of the mechanism...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg wiper.jpeg (332.8 KB, 74 views)
Old Jan 17th, 2023, 14:19   #13
neilgorin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm-mojo View Post
I have this on my v90. I assumed the windshield itself wasn't very level....@neilgorin can you explain your fix a little more? Is yours a v90? The wipers are different on a v90 to a v60
Sorry I assumed they were the same.

Principle would be similar for all modern flappy wipers though, the rubber should be able to slide as the blade passes over the screen but they get jammed in the end caps on most cars using the Bosch style wipers - whether they have a watering arm or not.
neilgorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 00:24   #14
davidwf15

Angry

Grrrr.... my (new to me) June 2022 V60CC also smears badly on the down stroke....I have cleaned the glass to perfection - steam clean, slightly abrasive glass polish and steam clean again, two sets of new rubbers and it is no better

I feel this is a safety issue as the smeared part is of course right in the middle of your view

Could it be the arm itself ?

Last edited by davidwf15; Mar 23rd, 2023 at 01:08.
davidwf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 01:04   #15
davidwf15

just found this......and added a few more details
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2410 View Post
okay i had a go...... how do you get the end bits off? they did not want to come off when i tried
Remove the blade from the arm as described in the manual
1.png
2.jpg
Take the rubber out in the normal way - gently lever the small clip at the "top end" of the arm and slide the cap out with the rubber attached
the rubber is pushed into this end cap, pull it out and put the other end of the rubber into this end cap, re-insert the rubber and pop the arm back on.
Just tried and it certainly looks better.......

Last edited by davidwf15; Mar 23rd, 2023 at 01:09.
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 11:17   #16
Big 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 240 View Post
I watched an interesting YouTube video in relation to something similar. It was to help with wiper judder, and the fix was to twist the actual wiper arm(like wringing out a towel) as this slightly changed the angle that the wiper blades sat on the windscreen. This may help?
Did you try this?
Big 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2023, 01:20   #17
davidwf15

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwf15 View Post
just found this......and added a few more details

Remove the blade from the arm as described in the manual
Attachment 146664
Attachment 146665
Take the rubber out in the normal way - gently lever the small clip at the "top end" of the arm and slide the cap out with the rubber attached
the rubber is pushed into this end cap, pull it out and put the other end of the rubber into this end cap, re-insert the rubber and pop the arm back on.
Just tried and it certainly looks better.......
Unfortunately although it at first looked promising, this didnt help
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 22:44   #18
davidwf15

car spent all day at the dealership today, they seem very competent and checked through pretty much everything they could... wiper rubbers (obviously) OK, blade angle and arm tensions etc all unfortunately to no avail

They did also comment that all V60's do it including a brand new one just delivered....hmmm.... adding that it may just be a characteristic of the car....which I read as a get out clause...

I am not at all happy with this and made that quite cear adding that when my wife who is shorter than me drives the car the smeared area is right in the middle of her eyeline.
If it is a charasteric of the car I would like to see the type approval which states that it is OK to have an approximately 2 inch band of smear right in the middle of the screen !!!!!

To their credit they have raised a technical case with Volvo so I guess I just have to wait for the outcome of that

If it still cant get resolved I will contact the ombudsman / SMMT as it is dangerous....I am sure my insurance company would not be happy to know I am in effect driving with defective wipers, characteristic of the car or not ....really??? on an almost 50 grand car???

Last edited by davidwf15; Mar 29th, 2023 at 22:50.
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 09:07   #19
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

This definitely might NOT work, but...

I bought my V60 used from a Volvo dealer with working wiper blades, but in the run up to winter I bought some new Volvo blades. A couple of months later I got the same smearing you describe and kept emptying the washer bottle. No good Despite cleaning and refitting.

Solution for me:- I put the old Bosch aeroblades back on that i kept in the new Volvo box.

No problems since. I think you can still buy a single Bosch blade rather than a pair - got to be worth a go if you've tried everything else?
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 09:10   #20
techwatcher
Master Member

Sounds like the dealer is doing what it can to resolve the issue.

Here's the relevant requirement from type approval:

"The vehicle must be fitted with a windscreen washer and wiper system sufficient to give the driver an adequate view of the road."

As is common with documents of this nature, the word "adequate" isn't defined and it would ultimately be for a court to decide on a definition.

Hope Volvo resolve this to your satisfaction and you don't have to take this further.