Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cam Belt Horror Stories

Views : 8546

Replies : 79

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2023, 16:47   #71
Levonsrealm
240 user and non-abuser

Thanks to the both of you.

I have bought 5 litres of that coolant myself. Awaiting arrival.

The cylinder head looks great. Was a heavy bugger bringing it home on the bus.

rebuild is on pause until I await delivery of a tophat seal for my water pump.

I think once I rebuild it ( with heater fully open) I am going to bring it up to temp on deionised water first just to make sure there are no leaks. No leaks; drain once more then refill with 5050 mix.

I will keep you all posted with how it all goes.

The valve hushers are here. I just need to save up some dosh for a valve shim remover. I may have to leave this task until later in the summer once funds allow. It will cost me another rocker cover gasket. So be it.
Levonsrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Levonsrealm For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2023, 19:02   #72
Levonsrealm
240 user and non-abuser

quick update for today, I used fine sand paper to remove the remaining gasket on the block.

On the near side of the block there is a bolted in sensor between cylinder 2 and 3. The bolt head is rusty.

I am thinking of replacing this bolt. Any advice as to what this sensor is with through bolt?

My poorly educated guess is it may be an oil sensor.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Levonsrealm For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2023, 19:25   #73
Chris1Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levonsrealm View Post
quick update for today, I used fine sand paper to remove the remaining gasket on the block.

On the near side of the block there is a bolted in sensor between cylinder 2 and 3. The bolt head is rusty.

I am thinking of replacing this bolt. Any advice as to what this sensor is with through bolt?

I suspect that'll be the knock sensor.

If you remove it, you will need to do it up to the correct torque (with a small torque wrench) as if it is too tight it will sense normal engine running as 'knock' all the time - as I discovered when I was much younger!
Chris1Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris1Roll For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2023, 20:35   #74
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1Roll View Post
I suspect that'll be the knock sensor.

If you remove it, you will need to do it up to the correct torque (with a small torque wrench) as if it is too tight it will sense normal engine running as 'knock' all the time - as I discovered when I was much younger!
I would tend to leave it well alone.

Old May 14th, 2023, 20:55   #75
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks to the both of you.

I have bought 5 litres of that coolant myself. Awaiting arrival.

The cylinder head looks great. Was a heavy bugger bringing it home on the bus.

rebuild is on pause until I await delivery of a tophat seal for my water pump.

I think once I rebuild it ( with heater fully open) I am going to bring it up to temp on deionised water first just to make sure there are no leaks. No leaks; drain once more then refill with 5050 mix.

I will keep you all posted with how it all goes.

The valve hushers are here. I just need to save up some dosh for a valve shim remover. I may have to leave this task until later in the summer once funds allow. It will cost me another rocker cover gasket. So be it.
I feel for you bringing the cylinder head home on the bus - but then we have all been there (or similar) and it will have been a good learning experience. I suspect you would rather have just changed the cam belt and left the manifold studs well alone (but everything is easier with hindsight - that is part of the learning experience :-).

Did you buy a set of hushers? I wish I'd known, they almost always come free with a head gasket set so I probably have a spare set I could have mailed to you. No matter, I'd perhaps shelve that job for the time being. If you decide to do it in the future drop me a line and I'll mail you my shim remover as long as you promise (double dog dare promise) to send it back once the job is done.

If the water pump seal wasn't leaking previously you could probably just move the pump up a bit and spread a bit of WRAS grease on it.

Good fortune, this classic car ownership is fun, isn't it?

Alan

Last edited by Othen; May 14th, 2023 at 21:26.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2023, 19:24   #76
Levonsrealm
240 user and non-abuser

consider the knock sensor left alone!
Thanks for the tips gang.

Yes you are exactly right! The most expensive set of manifold studs I have ever bought hahaha.
I DID buy a set of hushers. The project is indeed shelved for now and I certainly will take you up on that deal in the future. Thank you.

I did buy another top hat seal for the Waterpump. There were no issues with it but it was beginning to crack on the outer lip and so thought it best to change it.

I ordered a new top hat seal from a place in the Netherlands.
I also bought some new headlight wipers, headlight washer jets and a pair of headlight wiper holders.

The deionised water arrived today, and new motor oil!

Classic car ownership certainly is fun indeed!

I really cannot wait to put my car back together. I must have been without it for a good couple of months now. If not three.

I rode to work today which I have to say was quite good fun indeed.

If anything this no car business has certainly been good for my health with all the extra walking I have been doing.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Levonsrealm For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2023, 21:28   #77
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

Yes you are exactly right! The most expensive set of manifold studs I have ever bought hahaha.
I DID buy a set of hushers. The project is indeed shelved for now and I certainly will take you up on that deal in the future. Thank you.

I did buy another top hat seal for the Waterpump. There were no issues with it but it was beginning to crack on the outer lip and so thought it best to change it.

I also bought some new headlight wipers, headlight washer jets and a pair of headlight wiper holders.

I really cannot wait to put my car back together. I must have been without it for a good couple of months now. If not three.

If anything this no car business has certainly been good for my health with all the extra walking I have been doing.
... it will be good to have your motor car working well for the winter months though
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 22:00   #78
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

Is the 240 running and riding again now?

Old Jul 21st, 2023, 06:12   #79
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

Did you finish putting the motorcar back together Levonsrealm?

I enjoyed your story about bringing the repaired cylinder head home on the bus and wondered how you were getting on with this little job.

Old Sep 14th, 2023, 09:53   #80
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

For anyone bringing a cylinder head home: mine was easy in a shopping trolley. Some years ago. That worked for me by train. Now that I am nearly a grown up, by bus, and by for example some ferries, one can use a bus pass. Free transport. :-)

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post: