Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel DPF recall

Views : 80970

Replies : 450

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2010, 20:42   #41
XC60Owner

Well I checked am my oil level is VERY high. Another issue to add to the huge list of issues to date with the car .... back to the dealer.
XC60Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 01:45   #42
Mindi

Default Update please..?

Does anyone have an update on what has happened in the last few weeks on this..? Bill ..?
Mindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 15:30   #43
Bill_56
Premier Member

I had mine done last week. Still no info at all from Volvo as to what they've changed, or why they think it'll help.

Dealer confirmed what's already been said, that henceforth the oil will be slightly underfilled (not all the way to 'max') at normal service, to allow for subsequent dilution ('dilution' being my word, not theirs, they just talk of oil level rising). The dealer pretty much didn't understand why I thought that was unacceptable, I kind of get the impression they're under instructions from Volvo to not understand that criticism.

Since the software change, there's been no obvious change in performance. Sometimes I wonder if it needs more throttle than it used to in certain conditions, but it's easy to get paranoid. There's nothing really than can't be put down to possible imagination on my part.

I'm getting a little worried that it's done about 500 miles since the update without an obvious DPF regen', which worries me slightly as I really don't want to start seeing 'soot filter full' messages, which I never saw before. But so far, it's just a worry - and sometimes the regen' can go unnoticed, so it may have already happened, or it may just not be due yet.

If I do see 'soot filter full', I look forwards to a good rant about it.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 20:32   #44
Jet2 D5
VOC Member

Decided we are unlikely to get any explanation regarding the software criteria so got mine done yesterday and paid for oil/filter change for some peace of mind.

I will assess results (customers doing Volvo testing?) - prior to download car just completed a multi journey regeneration so wait and see!

For the record had 14 regenerations during past year with average interval 445 miles (max 535 & min 345), always use V Power.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 21:55   #45
Robbijay
S60 D5 SE + Winter Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet2 D5 View Post
For the record had 14 regenerations during past year with average interval 445 miles (max 535 & min 345), always use V Power.
How the hello do you know so accurately? I mean, I noticed mine was doing it on my way home from work today, but i can't remember the last time it did it, just like I can't guarantee having noticed all of them
Robbijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 22:16   #46
Bill_56
Premier Member

I'm becoming increasingly worried mine has lost it's edge, performance-wise.

I was already in 4th and couldn't be bothered to change down to 3rd when overtaking a van this morning at about 45 mph on a country back-road, with a long view ahead. Laziness such as that is supposed to be one of the benefits of driving a diesel. Halfway past, I really began to wish I'd changed down. It was all perfectly safe, but the road ahead definitely evaporated faster than I'd anticipated...

Am I being paranoid? Anybody else seeing any difference?
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 22:37   #47
Jet2 D5
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbijay View Post
How the hello do you know so accurately? I mean, I noticed mine was doing it on my way home from work today, but i can't remember the last time it did it, just like I can't guarantee having noticed all of them
Well firstly I keep a spread sheet going where a daily journey log is maintained (if you want to see a sample send me a PM with e-mail address and can send an attachment)

With the computer on instant you see the mpg reduces by some 35% or so from typical for the prevailing conditions - can mentally note time and log with distance and jot down and later put on log, so I could tell you how long in time and miles each regeneration event takes.

Started the log when I did not know it was the DPF smelling at new and thought there was a fuel leak onto some hot parts, at the time the dealer did not have a clue, the log just continued as it can be quite useful.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 23:26   #48
Chauffeurdude

Default Dpf update

Had my car serviced on 1st June by supplying dealer. Told them the recall had already been done a few days before which they didn't seem bothered about. Anyway when went to collect thought would check the oil before driving away. Level was not that far above minimum (safely above though) so popped back in to discuss this further. I pointed out that I was not happy running the car at a lower oil level than originally specified and that I was not going to run it at that level. Had to purchase another litre of Longtec to top it up before I left the forecourt!! I always run my vehicles at the correct oil levels and under no circumstances am I going to run it with what turned out to be nearly a litre less!! (800ml to be exact).

Overall I think this is a rather **** poor state of affairs when they don't explain anything properly and expect you to risk your engine by running lower oil levels to cover for their incompetence!!!! Very disappointed by the whole debacle really!! However I do rate the car and so do my customers. Have done just over 1000 miles since service and level is bang on max still so thats a good sign. No obvious regeneration cycles though, although I don't have the DTE and instantaneous fuel consumption display on very much so maybe difficult to tell.

For future once the warranty is up I will be servicing vehicle myself and changing the oil every 8-10k regardless which may help minimise the effects of any oil dilution taking place. Asked dealer about the service light coming on if oil was diluted with fuel and he gave me a rather blank look (not an entire surprise). Having discussed this with someone 'in the know' it would appear that the oil sensor detects particles in the oil and at a predetermined level trips the service light. Thus fresh fuel presumably will not trigger service message even though the oil will be knackered. Very helpful!!!!
Chauffeurdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 23:44   #49
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauffeurdude View Post
. . . I always run my vehicles at the correct oil levels and under no circumstances am I going to run it with what turned out to be nearly a litre less!! (800ml to be exact).

Overall I think this is a rather **** poor state of affairs when they don't explain anything properly and expect you to risk your engine by running lower oil levels to cover for their incompetence!!!! Very disappointed by the whole debacle really!! However I do rate the car and so do my customers. Have done just over 1000 miles since service and level is bang on max still so thats a good sign. No obvious regeneration cycles though, although I don't have the DTE and instantaneous fuel consumption display on very much so maybe difficult to tell.

For future once the warranty is up I will be servicing vehicle myself and changing the oil every 8-10k regardless which may help minimise the effects of any oil dilution taking place. Asked dealer about the service light coming on if oil was diluted with fuel and he gave me a rather blank look (not an entire surprise). Having discussed this with someone 'in the know' it would appear that the oil sensor detects particles in the oil and at a predetermined level trips the service light. Thus fresh fuel presumably will not trigger service message even though the oil will be knackered. Very helpful!!!!
It's perfectionist to say that the correct level is right at full. Anywhere between the full and add marks is correct. Halfway between the marks would be a perfect reading under the circumstances. Of course if Volvo is recommending a less than full fill of oil, then the fill would not last as long as a full fill, but given a likely safety factor in the original estimate of fill life, then a slightly reduced fill would most likely last to the original change interval.

Changing the oil more often than the specified interval would also be a reasonable revision under these circumstances to maintain customer confidence, and 8 - 10 kmi does not seem to be wasteful of oil.

The oil quality indicator in the Volvo diesel may in fact use sensors which detect particulate matter. I think similiar systems in petrol vehicles use surrogates such as oil temperature, number of cold starts, etc., but petrol engines do not build up the same particulate load as diesels.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 00:26   #50
Bill_56
Premier Member

@Jim,

One point here is that, to compete with other manufactures claiming long service intervals, Volvo specify an 18,000 mile interval for these engines.

Volvo's decision to support an 18k service would have been based upon knowledge of how much oil is available in the sump immediately after service service, how much oil-loss could be tolerated without risk of damage, and how much oil might be used in 18k miles.

By disturbing one of these parameters, does it not call into question the validity of the service interval?

I know, and respect, that many owners choose to change oil more frequently. But, for myself, I still use dealer service exclusively. That means a day off work to get the car to the dealer, and the 18k interval was one of the deciding factors in buying an S60....

- Bill