Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

700/900 double din adaptors - so close!

Views : 1196

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2020, 21:33   #1
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Default 700/900 double din adaptors - so close!

As we all know the only way to fit a double din stereo to a 700 or 900 series is to use a 780 fascia panel. You may as well ask for rocking horse poo as 780s are so rare and apparently Volvo don’t sell the panels any more.

I’ve just found a guy in Europe making them by 3D printing and they look ok (might need some sort of finish on them) but I’ve just worked out the cost and you’re looking at around £120 delivered to the UK. See them here: http://www.volvorsport.com/

Now I know I could make them for a LOT cheaper than that as I have a friend who does 3D printing but that would mean getting the file off this bloke or making my own file. If I had a 780 panel to copy I could make them for everyone so if you could lend me one I promise I’d send it back once copied digitally!
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 23:35   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Øystein is in Norway.

Nice guy and he does have some very good kit. The parts are on the pricey side but that is typical of Norway. Bear in mind a lot of work has gone into them and there is also hand work to finish them after printing
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 23:45   #3
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Øystein is in Norway.

Nice guy and he does have some very good kit. The parts are on the pricey side but that is typical of Norway. Bear in mind a lot of work has gone into them and there is also hand work to finish them after printing
Yeah I know a lot of work might have gone into designing them but the fit and finish isn’t what I would expect for a part costing £90. My friend makes unique automotive parts for car interiors via 3D printing and can get a much better finish than the parts this guy is selling for a lot less money. I understand making stuff over in Norway might be expensive but that doesn’t make it cost any less for us!
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 10:22   #4
Cuda

Let us know if you have any progress, will be following this thread.
i wWas planning to install a double din unit (SC805) myself but gave up once i found out how impossible it is to get the 780 radio frame. Ended up on that Norwegian site myself as well but 140 euros with shipping is a bit too much for something that poorly finished. I would like to keep everything looking like the way it might come from the factory. Although double din units were never officially installed on a 940 i think radios from the same period (from a 850) would look really nice.
Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 10:44   #5
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

If someone could lend me a 780 double din insert I could have them copied exactly - as i said my friend 3D prints custom interior car parts and the finish is fantastic, same as OEM. It is MILES easier to copy something you know fits than designing from scratch.
I couldn't say how much they would cost as it depends on how much 3D printing material it uses and what kind the structure would need but I'd hope it would be £50-£70 ish at the most - might be less.

I do have the original fitment panel for my 940 and a spare cigarette lighter/cubby hole section - maybe i could tape the two together and make measurements from them?
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 11:07   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Have a look here Rob, unless i've missed something it's not worth trying to make your own, even at "mates rates" to 3-D print them!

https://www.carid.com/volvo-780-ster...ion-dash-kits/

Granted you'll have to wait on delivery (but no more than you would from Norway, probably quicker) but a lot cheaper than what you're talking about so far.

I might have something wrong here and not quite understood the exact nature of the problem but in the USA they have a bigger presence of 780s so there's a fair chance you'll find something.

If none of that works out, have you considered the 760 facelift centre console?

The slot/cubby hole below the radio is single DIN size, there is a "dividing plate" moulded into the console between them but no doubt this could be cut out easily. Once the 2DIN cage is installed, it will help with rigidity.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 11:46   #7
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Have a look here Rob, unless i've missed something it's not worth trying to make your own, even at "mates rates" to 3-D print them!

https://www.carid.com/volvo-780-ster...ion-dash-kits/

Granted you'll have to wait on delivery (but no more than you would from Norway, probably quicker) but a lot cheaper than what you're talking about so far.

I might have something wrong here and not quite understood the exact nature of the problem but in the USA they have a bigger presence of 780s so there's a fair chance you'll find something.

If none of that works out, have you considered the 760 facelift centre console?
The slot/cubby hole below the radio is single DIN size, there is a "dividing plate" moulded into the console between them but no doubt this could be cut out easily. Once the 2DIN cage is installed, it will help with rigidity.
Not sure what the first link is supposed to show - only a list of generic bits as far as I can see.

The problem with hacking up a 760 fascia is that it is still a huge faff and you’d have to do a lot of refinishing work and structural stuff to make sure it looks good and supports the newer heavier stereo properly.

A custom double din adaptor would look good, fit properly onto the original screw mounts and have the correct mounting slots to fit in a double DIN cage which would hold and support a unit properly. I would also want it looking as OEM as possible.

It wouldn’t be “mates rates” anyway as I’d make sure my friend made money like he does with his other products. I know the approximate cost of 3D printing filament as I got a quote from him for something else of a similar size - even if this was more than expecting plus adding profit margin it would still be substantially cheaper than the Norway version.

Anyway I’m going to dig out some parts and see what might be involved.

Last edited by MiniNinjaRob; Jan 20th, 2020 at 11:49.
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 12:06   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I've obviously missed something then. Have you tried the likes of ebay Germany, or similar for the genuine 780 bits? Once purchased if you and your mate produced them for the members that want them arguably you could recover the initial cost of buying a secondhand 780 part from overseas.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 12:09   #9
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I've obviously missed something then. Have you tried the likes of ebay Germany, or similar for the genuine 780 bits? Once purchased if you and your mate produced them for the members that want them arguably you could recover the initial cost of buying a secondhand 780 part from overseas.
They are pretty much unobtainable worldwide and have been for a few years now I think. As you can imagine there aren't many 780's being scrapped to provide parts!
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 13:46   #10
Cuda

I have been following ebay/tradera for months now and there has been literally no one selling the 780 the centre console. This part is no longer produced and as MiniNinjaRob correctly pointed out a Volvo 780 is not something likely to be broken for spares. Even if there was something it likely wouldn't be cheaper considering how much sought after this part is.
760/960 dash is different from 740/940 and the radio frame wouldn't fit without significant modifications.
Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuda For This Useful Post: