Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to put Car back on the road after an accident

Views : 747

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2020, 10:32   #1
Austria29
Austria29

Default How to put Car back on the road after an accident

Hi

Does anyone have any knowledge of the rules regarding getting a car back on the road after an accident

I have looked at a few websites but it is still not totally clear to me

I was involved in an incident recently where a builders truck ran into the back of my 1990 740 estate while I was stationary

The damage was such that the car was written off and the car marked as Cat S. Damage is to the frame as the rear doors no longer open and the spare wheel well is pushed in so it will need to be pulled out

I have managed to buy the car back and am going to try and get it fixed as I only recently acquired the car from of a friend of my dads who had bought the car after it was one year old and had kept it ever since. It has only done 100K from new and has a full history with no expense spared in looking after it

If the repair is successful - what do I need to do ?

I still have the original V5 in my name from I bought the car - Do I need a new one which I presume will show the Insurance listing ? How do I get the new V5?

Do I need to get a new MOT?

The car is still insured although currently declared SORN - Is that policy still valid or do I need a new one as I read that Cat S cars are more expensive to insure

All advice and comments very welcome

Thanks
Austria29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Austria29 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 12:14   #2
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Crikey. In all honesty if the rear doors don’t shut then there is a lot of structural damage which will be almost impossible to fix. If the rear doors don’t fit that mean damage overall to at least half the bodyshell. If it was a very rare or valuable car it might be worth it but not so for even the nicest 740 I’m afraid. You may be able to use your car for parts for a new car but that’s as far as I would go if it was me and I love to see things being put back on the road.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 12:31   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austria29 View Post
Hi

Does anyone have any knowledge of the rules regarding getting a car back on the road after an accident

I have looked at a few websites but it is still not totally clear to me

I was involved in an incident recently where a builders truck ran into the back of my 1990 740 estate while I was stationary

The damage was such that the car was written off and the car marked as Cat S. Damage is to the frame as the rear doors no longer open and the spare wheel well is pushed in so it will need to be pulled out

I have managed to buy the car back and am going to try and get it fixed as I only recently acquired the car from of a friend of my dads who had bought the car after it was one year old and had kept it ever since. It has only done 100K from new and has a full history with no expense spared in looking after it

If the repair is successful - what do I need to do ?

I still have the original V5 in my name from I bought the car - Do I need a new one which I presume will show the Insurance listing ? How do I get the new V5?

Do I need to get a new MOT?

The car is still insured although currently declared SORN - Is that policy still valid or do I need a new one as I read that Cat S cars are more expensive to insure

All advice and comments very welcome

Thanks
I can't answer a lot of your questions because the rules change recently and i haven't investigated them as i don't need to.

However what i can say is that it would appear that the chassis has suffered extensive damage and unless you're prepared to spend the sharp end of £2k on a chassis jig to get it realigned, you stand no hope of getting it back on the road.

Even then, there's a fair chance it will "crab" down the road and not ride anywhere near as well as it should, with potential handling problems even after a 4-wheel alignment is performed.

Under the old rules, a Cat C (as i think has become the new Cat S) had to have a Vehicle identity Check followed by another inspection (stricter than the MoT) followed by the mandatory MoT. Then many insurers would still refuse to insure it as it had been compromised due to the accident.
How much of that still exists under the new rules i don't know but even if it is possible, it would have to be a "Labour of Love" with no possible reward other than being able to drive it if, and it's a BIG IF, you were able to get it through the various tests (inc MoT) and then find an insurer.

Sad to say it but your best option is to buy another car and use this one as a spares mule. The only real practical way of ensuring it lives on.

PS - just seen Robs post saying virtually the same as mine!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 02:09   #4
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Concur with Rob and Dave. You have bought a parts donor.

Think of it in terms of organ donation - the car will live on by ensuring its siblings are able to stay on the road.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 02:47   #5
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Bit of a story - my parent had a brand new fiesta. It was only a few weeks old and it was hit on the side very hard while my mum was driving. The body shop inspected it and said it was repairable and wasn’t written off.
Weeks and weeks went by and my dad kept contacting the body shop and they kept saying they were finding more and more things wrong. Turns out the shock of the impact not only damaged the obvious bit where it was hit but the bodyshell all around the car and loads of panels more than they thought. Nothing fitted when they put new parts on as it was all so warped.
It was eventually fixed properly but the body shop said they had spent almost as much on the car as it was worth, but being as they didn’t realise at first they had to keep going until it was done - I’d they had known the full extent of the work they just wouldn’t have bothered.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 09:22   #6
Discombobulated
Impressive Member

I’m sure the new categories are ‘S’ when are a car is structurally damaged and ‘N’ for non-structural damage.
You could possibly use a donor shell to rebuild yours?
Discombobulated is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Discombobulated For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 13:30   #7
LankyTim
Missing the point

Do you have any photos of the damage? There are places that would pull the body out but I don't think the car would be the same again.

The car must have sentimental value but accidents happen, and this was out of your control so try not to feel too bad about the situation.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LankyTim For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 13:52   #8
Austria29
Austria29

Thanks everybody for all your replies

I think you are probably all correct and I should just accept the reality of the situation.

Having said that the guy who had a look at the car and agreed to attempt a repair is someone i know well and I am going to take the day off and be present at his workshop when the inspection takes place.

If I have any doubts about future safety I will not proceed

If you see an advert in the spares for sale section in a couple of weeks time from me you will know what the outcome was.
Austria29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Austria29 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 14:12   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austria29 View Post
Thanks everybody for all your replies

I think you are probably all correct and I should just accept the reality of the situation.

Having said that the guy who had a look at the car and agreed to attempt a repair is someone i know well and I am going to take the day off and be present at his workshop when the inspection takes place.

If I have any doubts about future safety I will not proceed

If you see an advert in the spares for sale section in a couple of weeks time from me you will know what the outcome was.
If you post a link here to the ad, those of us that have email notifications switched on will see it and maybe need a few bits will see it and may be after a few bits and pieces which not only would help you out financially but also ensure the old beastie lives on in other enthusiasts cars.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 15:34   #10
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I will want the bulb holders behind the dash gauges to convert my 940 of you do break it.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: