Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What price a cambelt?

Views : 624

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2020, 10:53   #1
capt jack
VOC Member

Default What price a cambelt?

Been quoted £400 for a belt and water pump. £290 for the belt only. Car is the 97 S90 3 litre auto.

Seems a bit pricey to me, especially as the garage says that it’s a 1.5 hour job, 1.7 hours including the pump.

Thoughts gentlemen please?

Ta

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 11:12   #2
Ian21401
Premier Member

All belts and tensioner etc. (not water pump ) on daughter’s 2011 XC70 done by main dealer Feb.’18. £340.00 after goodwill loyalty discount.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 11:34   #3
TonyS9
Premier Member

After checking on Google for 5s I found a cam belt is about £25 for an S90. Fairly typical for cam belt, they arn't alot of money.

£250/hr is good money for a mechanics business. You are paying for convience and manufacturers name/main dealer.

Shop around other garages and tell them its 1.5hr job.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 13:27   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

You'll need a timing belt kit Jack :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timing-Be...7/251175608064

Comes with new tensioners (which have been known to fail on 100k+ engines) and you'll almost certainly need a water pump as well. Also ensure your garage replaces the antifreeze with the same type as you currently have which i seem to recall is ethylene glycol (blue or green) and tell them under no circumstances to use OAT (the red stuff usually) if that is the case.

Some water pumps on ebay :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterpump...E/223557126275

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIRSTLINE...v/291838733384

First one is NOS clearance by Sutton Auto Factors (buypartsby.com) so is cheaper, second is a Firstline water pump for about £35 so between the timing belt kit and pump, it's £150 plus the antifreeze and labour.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 20:14   #5
Estate87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You'll need a timing belt kit Jack :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timing-Be...7/251175608064

Comes with new tensioners (which have been known to fail on 100k+ engines) and you'll almost certainly need a water pump as well. Also ensure your garage replaces the antifreeze with the same type as you currently have which i seem to recall is ethylene glycol (blue or green) and tell them under no circumstances to use OAT (the red stuff usually) if that is the case.

Some water pumps on ebay :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterpump...E/223557126275

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIRSTLINE...v/291838733384

First one is NOS clearance by Sutton Auto Factors (buypartsby.com) so is cheaper, second is a Firstline water pump for about £35 so between the timing belt kit and pump, it's £150 plus the antifreeze and labour.
What's the issue with OAT?
Estate87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 20:41   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estate87 View Post
What's the issue with OAT?
Most, if not all our Volvos (in this section of the forum at least) would have left the factory with ethylene glycol. They do not mix. The acid in the Organic Acid Technology causes the silicates to precipitate out of the EG and form a gel commonly known as silicone sealant. It blocks all the waterways, radiators, heater matrices, cylinder heads, blocks and so on.

Also most, if not all, engines made before 2000 didn't have gaskets that will resist the acid in it.

Then there's the corrosion. Not so applicable to the white blocks but it will attack the cast iron blocks in things like the B200, B230 etc. It was actually developed by the Japanese in the late 90s for use in their all-aluminium engines because EG antifreeze was also corrosive to aluminium but nowhere near as much as OAT is to cast iron.
Granted the white block engines are all-aluminium but if they were supplied from new with EG, unless you strip that engine to its bones and renew every single gasket after cleaning every single waterway (including the heater matrix and radiator, any other ancillaries that use coolant (eg the turbo on later 940s etc) meticulously, there will be traces of EG left behind which can form the gel with OAT.

There's plenty more i could put but my paws won't let me type anymore at the moment, those are enough good reasons not to use it anyway!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 21:23   #7
lnparry

Hi Jack,

I had a big (£800) bill last year on my '97, 940 LPT for:

Timing belt & tensioner
Auxiliary belts
Cam, crank and balance shaft oil seals
Water pump
Lower hose
Antifreeze
Replacement gaskets / seals on the oil filter heat exchanger

This was a local independent garage, all genuine Volvo parts and included the timing belt re-tension after 500 miles.

Labour was 5 hours.

I'm in the south-east where labour charges (and beer) are probably higher than where you are.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
LeeP

Last edited by lnparry; Jan 18th, 2020 at 21:24. Reason: typo
lnparry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lnparry For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 21:38   #8
Estate87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Most, if not all our Volvos (in this section of the forum at least) would have left the factory with ethylene glycol. They do not mix. The acid in the Organic Acid Technology causes the silicates to precipitate out of the EG and form a gel commonly known as silicone sealant. It blocks all the waterways, radiators, heater matrices, cylinder heads, blocks and so on.

Also most, if not all, engines made before 2000 didn't have gaskets that will resist the acid in it.

Then there's the corrosion. Not so applicable to the white blocks but it will attack the cast iron blocks in things like the B200, B230 etc. It was actually developed by the Japanese in the late 90s for use in their all-aluminium engines because EG antifreeze was also corrosive to aluminium but nowhere near as much as OAT is to cast iron.
Granted the white block engines are all-aluminium but if they were supplied from new with EG, unless you strip that engine to its bones and renew every single gasket after cleaning every single waterway (including the heater matrix and radiator, any other ancillaries that use coolant (eg the turbo on later 940s etc) meticulously, there will be traces of EG left behind which can form the gel with OAT.

There's plenty more i could put but my paws won't let me type anymore at the moment, those are enough good reasons not to use it anyway!
Top man

Thanks for all that info. Very helpful once again.

Cheers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estate87 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 21:46   #9
Estate87

Unhappy

Is EG ever red?

I think the coolant in my bottle red? 😳 I don't think the car has ever had any over heating issues though.

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to Estate87 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 21:52   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Not that i've ever known, no. It's possible someone has stripped and cleaned everything on yours but are we talking about your 740 or V90?
If it's the latter then there is a possibility it had OAT from new but mostly Volvos were EG coolant up to about 2000

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: