Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel Filter Housing Replacement

Views : 13545

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 15th, 2012, 22:24   #1
sam.orton
sam

Default Fuel Filter Housing Replacement

We had to have the AA called out the other day because the XC90 - D5, 2008, manual - stalled. Diesel was pouring out of the fuel filter.
Tried fitting a new fuel filter thinking it was o-ring failure, but turns out it's the crappy plastic housing unit that has a shredded thread.

So now i've got a new complete unit including filter from the local dealer - the car's pretty immobile at home, so dropping it in for them to sort isn't an option.
Fitting it looked simple, but getting to the bolts seems to be a nightmare. I've spent an hour underneath it tonight just confused.
Does anyone have any ideas, maybe an exploded diagram or something. I can see the bolt heads I need to undo using an angled mirror, but no easy way of getting to them.
Wondering if taking off the bracket that the housing connects to is feasible, but that seems to be pretty strongly connected to the fuel tank.

Any help would be very very appreciated.
cheers
sam
sam.orton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 12:18   #2
Pat1

Just joined up in order to comment on this.

We had a 07 xc90 dropped here this morning with exactly the same fault. Ordered new housing and spoke to Volvo mechanic, He said that we have to drop the tank to gain access to 3 torx screws holding housing on.

Please let me know how you get on.

Pat.
Pat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 19:15   #3
Frosty

Seem to be becoming a bit of an issue these plastic housings, see my thread "URGENT help needed" from early June, ours went outside Le Mans 300km short of our holiday destination!!

Be interested to know what the UK dealer price is for these plus the labor to fit. I paid Euro 154 plus vat for the part plus filter plus labor so a nice Euro 380 all in!!
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 11:06   #4
sam.orton
sam

I managed to get a look at the vida instructions, and it does seem fairly simple thing to do.

You just:
1. unhook the brake pipes from the mountings on the tank straps,
2. apply a lifting table against the front part of the tank
3. remove the screw for the fuel heater pump and unhook it from the bracket
4. remove the screws for the tank straps at the front edge
5 lower the front part of the tank towards the exhaust pipe/prop shaft.

6. remove connectors & cables from filter
7. remove filter housing using TX25 wrench - two bolts accessed from above.

It does say don't try & replace the electrical cable with the new one - discard that (makes sense anyway), and make sure the tank is not more than 3/4 full.

Theory is good...I tried last night but struggled to get the tank down by myself as it's on the road and only had one trolley jack, not up on ramps etc.
So put a call into the father-in-law to come with another trolley jack tonight. Will let you know how I get on Pat.

Sam
The Following User Says Thank You to sam.orton For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 09:24   #5
sam.orton
sam

Default update...

Finally finished this off. Wasn't a difficult job in the end, but very awkward because the tank didn't drop the 4~5 inches I'd thought it would, more like 1~2 inches was all I could get.
So it took an hour of bruised fingers to get the old one off, then the same to get the new one on, but works fine now, and cost the price of a new unit from volvo, £106 total.
Sam
Old May 10th, 2017, 11:03   #6
deeppockets

Just had the same experience, the filter housing split across the cover mounting threads causing diesel to spray out. Engine dead and diesel dumped over the road.

I am surprised that Volvo put a lot of effort into safety and reliability yet are happy to use a weak fuel line component that causes a significant fire hazard and castrophic failure of the car.
deeppockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 10:36   #7
Fraze026

Had the same thing.... part on the way, what does the electric bit do? I have read if you change the housing it needs an update that only the dealer can do as it cant be done with VIDA,

Did you guys connect the electric lead after changing to the new housing or leave it off? mines running on a temp bypass at the minute with no issues.

Confused... its just a housing for gods sake!
Fraze026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 20:39   #8
Borgi

Is an update required then if the housing is replaced?

I need to do mine☹
Borgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 08:22   #9
APinto

Default Update?

Help please, mine just broke and needs replacing too, does it need a software update?

Cheers
APinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 10:03   #10
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

No, I do not believe that any update is required. Just fit a replacement and that is job done.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote