Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2007 D5 (185)....Excessive Oil Consumption & Soot Filter Ful

Views : 32455

Replies : 114

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 21st, 2018, 10:28   #101
Jimee

Smile

Hi all, my first post and although great forum,probably my last. I bought an '07 D5 185hp auto in March, absolutely love the car (I sorted handbrake and can confirm OEM shoes only).After a 650 mile round trip, 2 litres of oil, same as everybody on this thread, no visible drips, no smell of burning oil. I can't live with that and I was really looking forward to a Volvo with their reputation, that is now in tatters and I will never buy a Volvo again. Absolutely disgusted that Volvo dismiss it.
Jimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 14:58   #102
jamie1131

How many miles has your car done?
jamie1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 21:50   #103
Leyburn

Interesting thread, I assumed that A5/B5 oil designed for a modern engine with DPF would be low SAPS by default, but apparently not.

My 185 manual S60 soldiers on, meant to get rid of it earlier this year. Not had any dpf regen warning lights in my ownership (I assume there's a warning light somewhere), would be useful to be aware of regen activity as the car approaches 200k miles.

Long m/way journeys at a steady 75mph are now few and far between, fastish A roads, twisty B roads and some urban. Fuel consumption has dropped from an achievable mid-50s to mid-40s.
Leyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 23:27   #104
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Yeah A5/B5 is not intended for use with dpf's at all! Volvo obviously make the dpf matrix much coarser and/or larger to cope with the ash, thats all anyone can speculate!
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 18:05   #105
adomz
Boosted242!

Hey guys!

2008 v70 D5 (D5244T4) that drinks oil like mad, used to smoke after red light and 20sec stops, constant limp mode and so on... So far i have replaced a turbo with a used good known unit, and realised it was not the case, then redone the top of the head, which proved nothing. VIDA regenned, and cleaned the DPF with some cleaner liquid etc, still no chance... After a trip from Swansea to Bristol it started the same bull crap...

Now i have remapped the ECU, so it no longer looks for DPF and EGR. Took the DPF off and gutted it by cutting and taking all **** out. There was so much **** in there, it's unbelievable. Now it's all rewelded and refitted. Even on idle the car revs alot better as there's no restriction.

The car has done 208k miles so far, but i am still hoping to use it after it's all done. I am also doing the rear suspension bushes as they are shot, and also i want to block the EGR as it's remapped. It's just the whole access is poo and i need to spend loads of time to have it all removed and blanking plate made to sandwich inbetween the cooler and valve.

I am thinking of making a thread for the v70 so i can picture it all...

Cheers for the wonderful info over her!!

ADam
adomz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adomz For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 18:10   #106
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Only problem you have there is any evidence of dpf/cat/egr tampering is now an instant mot fail!
It's something testers have to make a point of looking for, so unless you find/use a more 'indiscriminate' testing station, yer a bit screwed!
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 18:11   #107
adomz
Boosted242!

I am covered, don't worry
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 00:25   #108
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Presumably same garage as did the remap, DPF and EGR work, does the MoT test?

Thinking along the same lines myself...

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 06:21   #109
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyburn View Post
Not had any dpf regen warning lights in my ownership (I assume there's a warning light somewhere), would be useful to be aware of regen activity as the car approaches 200k miles.
You never see a Regen Light as there simply is no such light

The car takes care of all regen activity by itself and shows you no indication whatsoever when a regen is required, is currently underway, or has recently been completed.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 08:09   #110
adomz
Boosted242!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Dave View Post
Presumably same garage as did the remap, DPF and EGR work, does the MoT test?

Thinking along the same lines myself...

Cheers

Dave
Well, nope, the remap has been done by one company that came to my house and removed the ECU in order to make it all happen as he had to open it and connect to certain pins to do it all.

Adam
The Following User Says Thank You to adomz For This Useful Post: