Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Knock from pitman arm

Views : 1982

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2023, 18:23   #1
JDW3696

Default Knock from pitman arm

Good evening all.
There is a knock and movement coming from my pitman arm where it meets the steering box. I can move the arm up and down slightly and when the steering wheel is moved a little bit from side to side it also knocks. Is this most likely the idler bush? I think that is what it's called from reading up but not too sure.
Thanks
Joe
JDW3696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2023, 19:19   #2
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

The idler bush is the bush on the idler arm on the other side to the steering box. They wear but can't see how that would be a noise from your steering box. Amazon cars do a good video of how to setup the steering box play etc. Also ensure it's got oil. If setup correctly and has oil then look for causes.
Old Apr 20th, 2023, 19:36   #3
JDW3696

Ahh. Okay. Not that then. It's moving up and down slightly where it attaches to the steering box. I'll have a look at the video.
Thank you.
Old Apr 20th, 2023, 21:09   #4
dingov70
Master Member

Evening , at the other end of the arm from the Pitman is a square plate with a lock nut & adjuster screw . It may simply require the nut to be loosened & the screw turned clockwise slightly and reduce any play . DO NOT go insane adjusting the screw . Have some one gently rock the steering wheel after each adjustment , BUT ensure the locknut is tight as this can affect how the shaft presses on the worm gear . you only ever want to reduce the play , never eliminate it

It was a regular job when I first picked up spanners ! ( oh dear Lord , feeling old suddenly )
Old Apr 20th, 2023, 21:13   #5
JDW3696

Thank you very much. I'll have a look tomorrow. It's odd that the pitman arm is moving up and down on the steering box shaft at all really. Looking at videos it normally needs a puller to get off so should be firm. I'll see what I can find out.
Thanks
Old Apr 20th, 2023, 22:42   #6
142 Guy
Master Member

See attached diagram. Left hand steering car; but, it is all I had.

#8 attached to steering box is Pitman arm. #10 is idler arm. Similar kinematic action - different name depending on what it is attached to. In order to check for steering box issues, I recommend that you safely prop the front end up and disconnect 19 and 21 from the Pitman arm. This will make it much easier to confirm where noises and unplanned movement are originating.

There is a correct Volvo procedure for setting up the steering box. It is set out starting at point $8 on page 6-20 in this document.

https://volvo1800pictures.com/docume...d_steering.pdf

It is a procedure that is probably more honoured in the breach. Be careful with your steering box. The major parts are out of production. If you mess it up you have a big problem on your hands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pitman arm.jpg (70.4 KB, 8 views)
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 07:51   #7
packers1712

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW3696 View Post
Thank you very much. I'll have a look tomorrow. It's odd that the pitman arm is moving up and down on the steering box shaft at all really. Looking at videos it normally needs a puller to get off so should be firm. I'll see what I can find out.
Thanks
Just before you get into making any adjustments, you say above that "the pitman arm is moving up and down on the steering box shaft" is has the pitman arm come loose from the output shaft?

Doug.
packers1712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 11:51   #8
JDW3696

Hello all. It was making a knocking sound and you could move the pitman arm up and down but on closer inspection I believe the pitman arm is on solid and the knock was the shaft moving in the steering box. When i wiggled the steering wheel a bit you could hear a definite knock. I've loosened off the steering adjustment screw on top of the box, so when you move the steering wheel you can see the pitman arm moving correctly. Since loosening it off when you wiggle the wheel the knock has gone so I'm hoping the adjustment has worked and it was done up too tightly. I need to run it up the road and a bit of trial and error but I'm hoping the adjustment has sorted out the problem and the adjustment screw was too tight. I will let you know. Fingers crossed.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDW3696 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 13:26   #9
packers1712

It sounds like you're on the right track, however I wouldn't have expected loosening the adjuster would have improved the symptom, before adjusting it when you had play was the steering heavy/tight, did the car naturally self centre after turning the steering whilst driving down the road?

If after making your adjustment the axial play has reduced from the output shaft of the steering box then I would suggest you have actually tightened the adjuster not loosened it and you just need to ensure you don't go to far otherwise you will end up with symptoms as suggested earlier in this post, lack of self centring and heavy steering.

Good luck, Doug.
packers1712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 14:40   #10
Derek UK
VOC Member

Having the steering box adjusted correctly is critical to how the car steers and behaves on the road. Myself and others have posted how-to's about the method. Do a search. It's simple but needs care. It depends to some degree on how worn your steering box is. All of them are now old and most have some wear, many with more than you'd like. Parts to cure NLA. Undo the lock nut and loosen the screw. Screw back in until it just touches and then loosen 1/8th turn. Tighten lock nut. Use that as a start point. Yes you might have about 3" of side to side at the steering wheel but that is fine. Top up oil. Use the same as rear axle. If you have a leaking lower oil seal, check oil level frequently.
Come back and tell us how it steers now. By the way, check the flexi joint in the steering shaft. There should be no side twist between the 2 sections.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post: