Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 attention

Views : 1265

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2018, 08:37   #1
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Default 940 attention

At work everyone loves the 940.

All of my mates think it's awesome.

I and my wife went to get her car from the dealer yesterday and when I pulled up both valeters came over and were smitten, they used phrases such as:

"Don't see these anymore"

"Most reliable car on the forecourt"

"Proper car"

"Well built tank"

"I love it"

Then one guy said he used to work at a Volvo dealer and said

"170k miles is nothing for these" (which I knew already but it makes me happy to hear people say it )

Then the owner came over and was commenting on how nice it is too etc.

Then when I got home my neighbour came over to me and said the same as above but also said:

"Keep a hold of that as it will go up in value"

"This will outlast you" I'm only 22 so I hope so, I will be disappointed if I don't get 50 years out of it lol.

Does anyone else get attention in their cars?

I have never had so many people comment on my car before, the only other time was in my 360 when 2 guys knew what it was and they complimented it.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 11:08   #2
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
At work everyone loves the 940.

All of my mates think it's awesome.

I and my wife went to get her car from the dealer yesterday and when I pulled up both valeters came over and were smitten, they used phrases such as:

"Don't see these anymore"

"Most reliable car on the forecourt"

"Proper car"

"Well built tank"

"I love it"

Then one guy said he used to work at a Volvo dealer and said

"170k miles is nothing for these" (which I knew already but it makes me happy to hear people say it )

Then the owner came over and was commenting on how nice it is too etc.

Then when I got home my neighbour came over to me and said the same as above but also said:

"Keep a hold of that as it will go up in value"

"This will outlast you" I'm only 22 so I hope so, I will be disappointed if I don't get 50 years out of it lol.

Does anyone else get attention in their cars?

I have never had so many people comment on my car before, the only other time was in my 360 when 2 guys knew what it was and they complimented it.
And so you should get attention, its a really smart looking car and will last you many years, just look after it, nice one! David.
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 11:34   #3
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827Roverman View Post
And so you should get attention, its a really smart looking car and will last you many years, just look after it, nice one! David.
Thanks David

It has some bumps and scrapes but the interior is immaculate, I will be giving it a go over with a machine polished and some T cut, then polish and then a wax coat too. Hopefully that will get rid of the light scratches.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 11:45   #4
TonyS9
Premier Member

Its the last car you will ever need. I'm thinking forward to when the oil (in the planet) runs out. There is alot of space on the roof for solar power

My favourite comment is 'they were designed to last 20 years... and they do', few believed it at the time and Volvo didn't make a big enough deal about it, eg they could have guaranteed the Engine mechanicals and body for 20 years. I don't think any other car can do this.

Its just shows it can be done, and environmentally we need more cars like this.

Having said that rust can set in soon after 20 years and the underside needs some maintenance, so keep on top of that.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 13:41   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Thanks David

It has some bumps and scrapes but the interior is immaculate, I will be giving it a go over with a machine polished and some T cut, then polish and then a wax coat too. Hopefully that will get rid of the light scratches.
I like your idea in principle but the products you suggest won't give you the best results.
This stuff is really good, can be applied with a machine (Dual Action/DA machine is better than simple rotary) and buffed by hand :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meguiars-...-/291798786618

A useful little tip is get yourself one of those plant sprayers that holds about a litre of water. Damp down the panel you're about to work on before applying the compound and if necessary, damp down a little while using the compound. Less is more when using the compound as well, it goes further than you think and the water helps it spread more easily too.

The good thing about the Meguiars stuff is it's all what is known as a "diminishing abrasive". In simple terms, the longer you use it, the finer it gets and even after the first stage of Paint Cleaner, your car will look a lot shinier. The Deep Crystal Polish makes it really pop and then the Carnauba Wax seals that shine in, adding a nice sheen to it as well.

Yes, there are other products around and on some detailing websites you'll read all about Poor Boys and other products and they will all get amazing reviews but go back a month later and you'll find the same people are reviewing a different product saying it's the greatest thing since sliced bread as well.

Meguiars has been around a long time and has stood that test of time - if you ask someone who is very into their detailing for a polish/cleaning system that is simple, easy to use and gives good results for a novice, most of them will recommend Meguiars. In fairness they will then almost certainly start "speaking in tongues" talking about other products with citrus and lemon zest and no added sugar - or something like that! To be honest, 99% of what they say leaves me cold, the only time i can understand and make sense of what they're saying is with Meguiars.

It's good stuff and i've used it myself. Give it a try, i'm sure you won't be disappointed!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 16:29   #6
psl
Master Member

To be honest I've never had one person comment on my lastest 940. Some nice comments about it at the show on Sunday but in my hood there are some 940's still earning their keep.
psl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psl For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 16:37   #7
Delta66

I have had a few positive comments when stopped at petrol stations and a couple of speculative enquiries if I would sell.

It is nice to get a wave from other Volvo drivers.
Delta66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Delta66 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 16:48   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta66 View Post
I have had a few positive comments when stopped at petrol stations and a couple of speculative enquiries if I would sell.

It is nice to get a wave from other Volvo drivers.
I quite often get comments about my 760, most people think it's a 940 including people who should know better! They also think it's on a private plate for some odd reason but it's nice having an "F760 xxx" number plate on a 1988 760 - that said most people haven't realised that when they think it's a private plate, just think the plate is older than the car!

Haven't had any sales enquiries but have had to explain it's the V6 to many and then explain, no, i haven't converted it, it came from the factory like it.
"They never made a V6!" is the usual reply..................

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 21:54   #9
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I like your idea in principle but the products you suggest won't give you the best results.
This stuff is really good, can be applied with a machine (Dual Action/DA machine is better than simple rotary) and buffed by hand :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meguiars-...-/291798786618

A useful little tip is get yourself one of those plant sprayers that holds about a litre of water. Damp down the panel you're about to work on before applying the compound and if necessary, damp down a little while using the compound. Less is more when using the compound as well, it goes further than you think and the water helps it spread more easily too.

The good thing about the Meguiars stuff is it's all what is known as a "diminishing abrasive". In simple terms, the longer you use it, the finer it gets and even after the first stage of Paint Cleaner, your car will look a lot shinier. The Deep Crystal Polish makes it really pop and then the Carnauba Wax seals that shine in, adding a nice sheen to it as well.

Yes, there are other products around and on some detailing websites you'll read all about Poor Boys and other products and they will all get amazing reviews but go back a month later and you'll find the same people are reviewing a different product saying it's the greatest thing since sliced bread as well.

Meguiars has been around a long time and has stood that test of time - if you ask someone who is very into their detailing for a polish/cleaning system that is simple, easy to use and gives good results for a novice, most of them will recommend Meguiars. In fairness they will then almost certainly start "speaking in tongues" talking about other products with citrus and lemon zest and no added sugar - or something like that! To be honest, 99% of what they say leaves me cold, the only time i can understand and make sense of what they're saying is with Meguiars.

It's good stuff and i've used it myself. Give it a try, i'm sure you won't be disappointed!

A product that has stood the test of time and that you use yourself is a good recommendation. Thanks.

Those one litre plant sprayers are quite cheap as basic own brand from DIY megastore type places.

And probably from the various homeware stores that seem to have tried to fill the gap left by Woolworth. But I haven't seen them selling Airfix, Pyrex pie plates, or this week's top chart 45 ....

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 22:26   #10
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

I once had a chap hop into my old 740 Estate at a set of traffic lights in Boscombe, one of the roughest areas of Bournemouth. He just hopped on in, and I absolutely shat myself thinking he was carjacking me...

Turns out he was a Swedish student whose parents had owned an identical car throughout his childhood, and he was lonely and homesick at uni In Bournemouth, spotted my 740 and couldn’t resist getting in! He sniffed the dash (c’mon, none of us are above such behaviour &#128514 and ran his hands back and forth over the Trico getting more and more emotional, then started offering me money for the car...it was very surreal! Lovely guy though, we parked up and chatted about all things Volvo for half an hour or so, before he apologised, shook my hand and got back out of the car. Very odd!!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post: