Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 attention

Views : 1264

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2018, 22:43   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

You should have charged him for cleaning your drivers seat, underpants and trousers!

I lived in Creekmoor for a while and ventured into Boscombe once or twice - that was enough! Lovely bit of beach there but not a particularly safe place at times!

When he said he was at "uni", did he mean Bournemouth University Health Trust Mental Health Facility?

Dash sniffing and window licking are not normal behaviour!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 07:58   #12
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
I once had a chap hop into my old 740 Estate at a set of traffic lights in Boscombe, one of the roughest areas of Bournemouth. He just hopped on in, and I absolutely shat myself thinking he was carjacking me...

Turns out he was a Swedish student whose parents had owned an identical car throughout his childhood, and he was lonely and homesick at uni In Bournemouth, spotted my 740 and couldn’t resist getting in! He sniffed the dash (c’mon, none of us are above such behaviour &#128514 and ran his hands back and forth over the Trico getting more and more emotional, then started offering me money for the car...it was very surreal! Lovely guy though, we parked up and chatted about all things Volvo for half an hour or so, before he apologised, shook my hand and got back out of the car. Very odd!!
That's sounds like a sphincter twitching moment!

Very strange behaviour indeed, I wouldn't say being homesick is enough reason to jump in to a stranger's car and start sniffing it!
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 11:50   #13
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Thanks David

It has some bumps and scrapes but the interior is immaculate, I will be giving it a go over with a machine polished and some T cut, then polish and then a wax coat too. Hopefully that will get rid of the light scratches.
Mine too was full of light scratches and swirl marks, so I treated myself to a orbital machine polisher, I used Meguiars swirl remover then their polish/wax took me a couple of days but the result was great. David.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S6004551.jpg (260.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg S6004554.jpg (333.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg S6004567.jpg (289.4 KB, 15 views)
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 14:19   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Looking good there David!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 18:09   #15
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827Roverman View Post
Mine too was full of light scratches and swirl marks, so I treated myself to a orbital machine polisher, I used Meguiars swirl remover then their polish/wax took me a couple of days but the result was great. David.
Wow that does look bloody good!

Love the spoiler, I have been looking on ebay but found none

I bought a pair of NOS rear mudflaps last night so the look I'm going for is starting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 19:47   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Wow that does look bloody good!

Love the spoiler, I have been looking on ebay but found none

I bought a pair of NOS rear mudflaps last night so the look I'm going for is starting.
Keep looking! They do pop up from time to time. Alternatively, find a similar sized car with more plentiful spoiler supply - i have a silver spoiler from the boot of a BMW 3-Series Coupé that i was planning on fitting to my (now departed) Rover 827 Coupé, happy to measure that and give you the measurements to check against the boot lid so you can see if it'll fit.

If so we might even be able to come to a deal..........

Old Jul 5th, 2018, 20:05   #17
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Keep looking! They do pop up from time to time. Alternatively, find a similar sized car with more plentiful spoiler supply - i have a silver spoiler from the boot of a BMW 3-Series Coupé that i was planning on fitting to my (now departed) Rover 827 Coupé, happy to measure that and give you the measurements to check against the boot lid so you can see if it'll fit.

If so we might even be able to come to a deal..........
It's a good idea but I would rather wait for a Volvo one, thanks anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 22:16   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
It's a good idea but I would rather wait for a Volvo one, thanks anyway.
Well the offer is there. You may have a long wait for a genuine Volvo one and to be fair, it's probably made by the same people! Once it's fitted and painted, if it fits right in the first place and looks right, who would know anyway?

Old Jul 5th, 2018, 23:37   #19
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Good job these cars have such good cooling systems.
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 09:16   #20
omc 47
VOC Member

Hi Guys,
I find this quite an interesting topic, I've had 940's for coming up 10 years and used as workhorses they don't get much attention either from the public or me.
Which is a wierd paradox, I've a couple of Wentworths which were both taxed etc untill recently. Then due to less hauling of Building Materials and cost of running two I took my green one off the road and kept the maroon one running,it's got a tan leather interior which is a nice combination were as the the green one has the grey leather and is not as bright and airy in the cabin so to speak.
I'm keen to keep both as spares are not easy to muster at a minutes notice without travelling so the Maroon one @201,400 mls is to stay mobile while the green one demands exhaust system,heater matrix,new tyres etc.
My dilemma is both cars have this dreaded laquer peel so it looks like a respray is needed what ever I decide, one thing is for sure they are getting rarer and more expensive to buy, geeez...........have you seen some of the prices recently?
My mind is well set on keeping the marque alive so I will NOT be parting with anything 940 any time soon, they are the last of a line of legendary examples of engineering quality and design.
A parting story...........My wife works for the NHS visiting folk at home from Hospital, she had a Volvo V40 which due to her job put on some serious miles and got me twitching a bit in case it ever broke down (no car, can't work) and I'm chief mechanic. so she leases a Brand New spanking Ford Focus last September much to my relief and the V40 gets sold to a happy buyer (sad house for a few days!!)
So.....she pulls in the drive this week after her 11 hour stint "my passenger electric windows packed up" and my reply ..........."not my problem dear" Yeesss!!
Happy Days and reliable cars keep em' rolling guys.
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to omc 47 For This Useful Post: