Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 broken down, second time today!

Views : 4852

Replies : 140

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2018, 00:02   #101
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
Don't think that applies to a late 940.

On my '87 and '89 740 Turbos, no priming occurred in position II.
Those would have been LH-Jetronic 2.2 and/or 2.4 - it should have done.

That said i seem to recall some early 740 turbos had K-Jetronic so the 87 might have been a different injection system, still configured the same way for the fuel pumps though.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 00:06   #102
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephend View Post
Dave, can I ask you to clarify something for me, please?

My 740, which is the B200E K-jet, has two pumps: the in-tank pump, and the main pump under the floor. I can hear the main pump moaning gently when the engine is running, and if I stall the engine. But in all the years I've had the car, I've never once heard either pump prime, even though the car fires up immediately on cranking. That hasn't changed even after fitting a new fuel pump relay.

On other cars I've had with petrol injection, I could clearly hear the pump prime when I switched the ignition on - so it's not my hearing!

Does your description - which I realise is aimed at Laney's car, which is a newer system than mine - apply to mine or not? In other words, should I be hearing a pump priming?

Thanks
Stephen
It should do Stephen, it is literally only a second or so that it primes for in position 2 so it's easy to miss it - on mine if it doesn't prime (like it's not at the moment, it takes several churns of the starter or the "flick the starter" trick to prime before it fires. Mine is the LH2.2, yours is 2.4, the main difference is the addition of the Lambda sensor and closed loop mixture control.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 10:27   #103
Laney760
VOC Member

Dave, no, I won't use this particular garage for MOT ever but I am going to try some of the local Volvo indis recommended in general thread but sadly most of mine are quite out of the area. Having a garage in your home town is quite convenient

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 14:26   #104
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It should do Stephen, it is literally only a second or so that it primes for in position 2 so it's easy to miss it - on mine if it doesn't prime (like it's not at the moment, it takes several churns of the starter or the "flick the starter" trick to prime before it fires. Mine is the LH2.2, yours is 2.4, the main difference is the addition of the Lambda sensor and closed loop mixture control.
Just so you know David, StephenD said that he has a B200E K-Jet.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 14:34   #105
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
Be aware!!!
The new full fuel pump unit is very very expensive!!! More than 300 pounds. and NLA!
Ask in front of the asking price.

fuel pump only volvo original
http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...ctric/1014285/

fuel pump aftermarket (good eough)
http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...r-kit/1010999/

your car should be with the cap in plastic, if not and there is lot of corrosion you will need another one, used one I'm afraid. I don't remember the name in english and the part number, sorry. The plastic in black where the fuel lines are connected too, on top of the fuel cell.

The Bosch one for my car is £168.99 (reduced down from £205.19) from our Euro car parts here in UK, not too bad a price!

Bosch Fuel Pump (In Tank)Product Code: 441660040
Non-Stock Item - Available to Order
(Usually Dispatched in 24-48 Hrs*)
Qty.
£168.99

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 14:36   #106
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
Cheers Dave, I obviously heard another 'whirr', maybe the starter motor

RAC replied, said they are standing by their original verdict, they are quite happy that everything was done that could be by the first guy
Write to them [again] asking for your complaint to be dealt with at a higher level.

Ask them if the first guy did everything that could be done, how did the second guy get the car going? Tell them that the facts speak for themselves. You should like to receive an apology and compensation, please.

Following that technique when they tried to sell me a battery years ago, I got a year's full membership extension. It did take two or three letters. Persistence does sometimes pay.

My then car's battery problem was far simpler than David's suggested saga. I told patrol that the car had stood and the battery was not accepting charge. He jump started it, switched off, tried to re-start from the battery. Obviously failed. He insisted I needed a new battery. What wonderful service !!!!

After a long very slow charge, the classic restorative charge, the battery was still starting that car first time every time a year later. Cushti.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 15:13   #107
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Just so you know David, StephenD said that he has a B200E K-Jet.
Same applies!

I read it as B200F last night, my eyes were tired and blurry, my brain was tired and blurry, there is a timer relay built in to the fuel pump relay on the K-Jet to give the prime function, later LH-Jet has it built into the ECU (which makes me angry right now as my new fuel pump relay, although allowing the car to run once more doesn't seem to be priming - yet!) to control the priming and running/cranking functions.

*** EDIT *** also at the time, because of the similar user name to yours, i automatically thought "B200F"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 15:17   #108
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
The Bosch one for my car is £168.99 (reduced down from £205.19) from our Euro car parts here in UK, not too bad a price!

Bosch Fuel Pump (In Tank)Product Code: 441660040
Non-Stock Item - Available to Order
(Usually Dispatched in 24-48 Hrs*)
Qty.
£168.99
Try using the discount code "MID50" at the checkout page - might give you a useful discount!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 15:27   #109
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Oh by the way David you said something recently about how much the AA want to charge you for "membership". So that you know, one can also haggle with the AA.

I started from the position of being an established member. (Every since the RAC pleased me so well re a battery.... )

Anyway I dealt with the AA by dog and bone. Told them the tale. Very low mileage. Haven't called them out. Modest income. Said how little the RAC were offering membership for. Got a modest reduction offered. Asked to speak to a supervisor. Got fobbed orf.

'phoned again. Same rigmarole. Asked to speak to a supervisor. Got put through. Got a very useful deal.

I'm paying £61 p.a for ... Breakdown and "complimentary" Relay. It is nominated vehicle cover, and annual payment. Monthly payment to the AA is an expensive way to get credit. I don't borrow anyway.

For £89 p.a total I could also have had Home Start. But if I'm at home, I'm OK here, have a cuppa, nuthink matters.

I should borrow. To die bankrupt is to make a profit on life init?

Old Oct 12th, 2018, 15:31   #110
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

*** EDIT *** also at the time, because of the similar user name to yours, i automatically thought "B200F"

I thought so.

You are not the first forum member to pay me the honour of confusing me with Stephen D.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post: