Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cabin heating

Views : 385

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2020, 02:34   #1
Bashy
Aged Member

Default Cabin heating

Hi folks

Is it just me or does the climate unit go from cold to too warm on the 1st notch (17C)

I turn the temp dial to 17 and its too warm for my liking, its not hot or anything like that, i just find that the jump from cold to the 1st notch, blows too warmer air for my preference, its like a jump from 16C to 17.9C coming out and not 17C, 16 makes it too cold, 17 makes it too warm, 16C, fan off, 17, fan come son blowing too warmer air, is best way i can explain it, is that just the way it is?

I have dogs in the car so on a winter's day i want it to be cool enough for them after a run but also not too cold for me...
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 22:23   #2
Spike56
Master Member

I would assume that the heating comes on full tilt untill the cabin gets to temperature and should then settle down. It's unlikely that the temperature would go up just that tiny amount as the heat from the vents wouldn't be the same as the temperature at the back of the car. If that makes sense?
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 02:01   #3
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike56 View Post
I would assume that the heating comes on full tilt untill the cabin gets to temperature and should then settle down. It's unlikely that the temperature would go up just that tiny amount as the heat from the vents wouldn't be the same as the temperature at the back of the car. If that makes sense?
That i would believe when its set to automatic, but not in manual mode, but then with that logic, youre saying the driver must cook just to keep the back happy, also, its slightly flawed seen as the V70 has vents in the B posts for the rear passenger cabin, unless of course im not understanding?
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 21:07   #4
Spike56
Master Member

The temperature sensor must be able to measure temperature as the air circulates, over time perhaps, the initial air would be all the same temperature to begin with and would settle back eventually. All the hot water is at the front of the car so the front would be hotter?

All guess work I'm afraid!
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 23:16   #5
Longhouse21
Master Member

As I understand it, the heater matrix has a constant supply of hot water to it from the engine cooling system. Cabin air flow over the matrix is modulated by the fan speed and heating ventilation flaps behind the dash. The further the measured cabin temperature is from the temperature set point, the faster the fan will run to increase the air flow over the matrix.
You may have an issue with the cabin temperature sensor - thermister behind the grill on the climate control unit - or the climate control system calibration?
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 01:56   #6
Bashy
Aged Member

It sounds like you're both referring to automatic mode?
The jump from cold to the 1st click (aka 17C i assume) on the temp dial shouldnt feel like such a big jump, but then again, it is quite difficult to say how warm that jump is.
Lets put it this way, the dual climate control on my Lagunas, II and III versions was slight, with them it felt like the increments were much smaller, i dont know, perhaps thats just the way the volvo is, but i find that its too luke warm at 17C, not talking hot here, just enough where i have to either, keep turning the temp cold cold to 17 and vice versa, or crack the window, or have one side on 16 and the other on 17.

I have just looked at some images of the Renault controls and it looks like i aint on drugs after all their increments are 0.5C where as the volvo is at 1C, that 0.5 must make all the difference between me complaining and not lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post: