Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cambelt change price

Views : 1264

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 17:27   #1
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Default Cambelt change price

So a customer has asked me to do a cambelt on their 940.

Before I start the tale please bare in mind I told the customer just what to get for this job and he has ignored my suggestions and cheaped out on belts.

The car has been sat for god knows how long and done about 50k miles since its last belt 11 years ago!

So the customer has provided the belts (none of them genuine so I've had to figure out which belt will fit where). The a/c pump would not budge until I had fully removed the alternator and slackened off every single bolt a lot on the A/C pump which I have never had to do before.

Then the bolt for the crank pulley had obviously been done up with an impact gun because I had to put a pipe over my breaker bar to even have a chance of undoing it.

It is all back together and running now with new belts and a new tensioner he bought the tensioner but was reluctant to fit it and wanted to reuse the one on the car even though it was leaking grease, I ignored him and fitted it.

Admittedly I put the alternator and air con belts on in the wrong order so spent half an hour redoing it after realising my mistake (I have deducted this from the price).

It then was put on the ramp as he wanted me to do the oil and filter but didn't tell me until I had got there so I didn't have my oil filter pliers. He had no tool suitable to remove the very stuck oil filter so it is now sat with no oil in it. He also didn't get a new washer so is spent about 15 mins sanding the used one down to make it flat again to reuse it!

I have charged £80 for the job as it took me over 4 hours and a lot of messing around, he wants me to go back tomorrow morning and finish the oil and filter but he is kicking up a fuss that I've charged £80 to do a cambelt and new belts!!! Thoughts please on the price?

I sort of know him and he wants me to do four cambelts so I have done it slightly cheaper for him, I don't think I will bother with the other cars if this is what he is going to be like.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 17:44   #2
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

That's the reason why I don't work on cars anymore.
And very typically as he is a Volvo owner. Most of them won't spend any money at service.
"I did a hughe service/maintenance job at my Volvo at 150 000miles"

"Whow, what did you do?"

"A change of the engine oil AND a filter"

No joke

Say pardon, I did a mistake. 180 should be the price

And do never ever anything for him again.

This guy us a waste of your lifetime

My 2c

Good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 17:47   #3
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
That's the reason why I don't work on cars anymore.
And very typically as he is a Volvo owner. Most of them won't spend any money at service.
"I did a hughe service/maintenance job at my Volvo at 150 000miles"

"Whow, what did you do?"

"A change of the engine oil AND a filter"

No joke

Say pardon, I did a mistake. 180 should be the price

And do never ever anything for him again.

This guy us a waste of your lifetime

My 2c

Good luck, Kay
Thanks Kay I will tell him I'll do the other cambelts for £180 then
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 17:54   #4
Martin Cox
VOC Member

If I coud get that much good quality skilled labour for £80 I'd be delighted! I'd also feel rather guilty about underpaying.

As an aside are you talking about a copper washer on the sump plug? If you really have to reuse one, heat it to a dull red heat and let it cool. This anneals it and makes it soft again so it should seal when refitted. A trick I learned running an old 240 many years ago.

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 18:53   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Have i understood correctly Luke that he wanted you to travel to him to do the job? In that case, even at "mates rates" you've undercharged by a minimum of an hour for todays work!

If you have to travel to the customer, it has to be a minimum 1hr (or part thereof) charge for travel as you have to come home again afterwards.

As for the shenanigans on the timing belt and auxiliary belts, first because he has gone cheap and supplied his own belts, you can't guarntee them, only your work fitting them. It's a debatable point but you have no idea if that timing belt has been sat around for two decades being kicked from pillar to post and picking up damage along the way, damage you may not be able to see.

As for the other timing belts, are they all on red blocks? If not, check out how long each is going to take. Also find out if they have been done any time recently, if not then it's time and materials, no fixed prices.

Worth investing in a Boa Constrictor and keeping it with you too :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Constrict...D/352880683243

There is also a Baby Boa :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boa-Baby-...h/143810806950

Very good for removing stubborn oil filters among other things!

As for that customer in general, it sounds llike the sort of person that won't be happy no matter what you do so it's down to you to consider if you want to keep him as a customer. So far he's jerked you around like Pinocchio on bungee cords and customers like that usually get worse!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 18:57   #6
volvo always
Premier Member

I payed £60, but that was 4 years ago. I supplied the genuine belts and tensioner.

Your price is more than fair. I wouldn't be making a fuss! Sounds as if you travelled to the car "as not run in years"

In my work situation, if a customer is unreasonable, I don't do any more work for them!

James.

Last edited by volvo always; Dec 3rd, 2020 at 19:05.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 19:00   #7
griston64
Premier Member

I got Cam Belt,tensioner,both aux belts and all three front seals done for £105.00 labour. That was by a very good Volvo indy. I had bought all the stuff to do it myself but it was middle of January and it turned absolutely Baltic so for that price it was a no brainer

It was all gen Volvo parts from main dealer so all in a fair bit more in total
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 19:04   #8
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Have i understood correctly Luke that he wanted you to travel to him to do the job? In that case, even at "mates rates" you've undercharged by a minimum of an hour for todays work!

If you have to travel to the customer, it has to be a minimum 1hr (or part thereof) charge for travel as you have to come home again afterwards.

As for the shenanigans on the timing belt and auxiliary belts, first because he has gone cheap and supplied his own belts, you can't guarntee them, only your work fitting them. It's a debatable point but you have no idea if that timing belt has been sat around for two decades being kicked from pillar to post and picking up damage along the way, damage you may not be able to see.

As for the other timing belts, are they all on red blocks? If not, check out how long each is going to take. Also find out if they have been done any time recently, if not then it's time and materials, no fixed prices.

Worth investing in a Boa Constrictor and keeping it with you too :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Constrict...D/352880683243

There is also a Baby Boa :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boa-Baby-...h/143810806950

Very good for removing stubborn oil filters among other things!

As for that customer in general, it sounds llike the sort of person that won't be happy no matter what you do so it's down to you to consider if you want to keep him as a customer. So far he's jerked you around like Pinocchio on bungee cords and customers like that usually get worse!
Hiya Dave

Yes it is a 25 minute drive each way to his house where he has a workshop with a ramp that lifts the car half way, however the wasnt on the ramp while doing the job.

All cambelts are on 940 turbos with air con (I hate adjusting the air con pumps!) So I could potentially do the other 3 in a day if it goes well but I can't be arsed to deal with him again now.

I've got a brilliant pair of oil filter pliers which haven't failed me yet but I didn't take them as I wasnt expecting to do an oil and filter!

This is definitely the last job I do for him.
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 19:53   #9
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
I got Cam Belt,tensioner,both aux belts and all three front seals done for £105.00 labour. That was by a very good Volvo indy. I had bought all the stuff to do it myself but it was middle of January and it turned absolutely Baltic so for that price it was a no brainer

It was all gen Volvo parts from main dealer so all in a fair bit more in total
I'd say I was bang on the money then doing cambelt, tensioner, 3 aux belts, oil and filter for £80, seals are only another half an hour or so once it is all off so if he wanted me to do them (which I told him he should do!) Then it would have been £100 in total.
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 20:29   #10
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post
If I coud get that much good quality skilled labour for £80 I'd be delighted! I'd also feel rather guilty about underpaying.

As an aside are you talking about a copper washer on the sump plug? If you really have to reuse one, heat it to a dull red heat and let it cool. This anneals it and makes it soft again so it should seal when refitted. A trick I learned running an old 240 many years ago.

Martin
Likewise re the paying.
A previous work colleague of mine who ran an old BSA motor cycle used to re anneal the copper washers that way.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post: