Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

rti sat nav and radio dvd problem

Views : 1378

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2018, 22:05   #1
mat2803

Angry rti sat nav and radio dvd problem

Iv just bought my xc90 2005 55 plate 2.5 diesel knowing that the sat nav and dvd player didn't work that is fine but i really want to try and get them working. I though i might try and see if it was a simple fix and checked all the fuses and they are all ok a little black on the prongs but buzz through with the multi meter most of the other fuses are like this and there equipment work fine.
i then checked the fuse in the back of the dvd player all ok checked if there was power to the dvd by unplugging the wiring harness and no power so left it at that and concentrated on looking at the sat nav the disk ejects and i tried to put the disk cleaner in to clean the lazer but this would not run and would just
eject put the map disk back in and it just says cannot reed disk so i unplugged the sat nav dvd console to see if it would reset when i plugged it back in the radio now doesn't work and the sat nav doesn't switch on so i left it for the night and went back to it in the morning and the car battery is no flat im now lost as to what to try i must of done something to make the car battery to flatten or left something on that ran it flat ive been at work today and not been able to look again has anybody had any of the same problems please any advice would be greatly revived
mat2803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 22:59   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

If the nav DVD player won't read the DVD, then the laser is likely dirty

What condition was the car in?
Was it well cared for and clean under the seats?
Or dirty and dusty?
if dirty and dusty you can bet the laser is covered in dust.
Open the lid of the nav, carefully extract the DVD mech, and clean the laser carefully with a cotton but and isopropyl alcohol
Reassemble and test.
With luck the laser can read the nav disc.
Make sure you have original Volvo nav discs, and not burnt copies. Burnt DVDs are more difficult to read, especially when the laser is old and tired.

As for the radio:
Charge up the car battery
Invite a local forum member in your area who has VIDA to come and diagnose the fault for tea and biscuits / beer and chips.
With VIDA you can determine easily what is not correct in the car.
Without VIDA you are blind.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 07:48   #3
Floodys

I had exactly the same re the sat nav, wouldn't read the genuine Volvo disc, build up of dust etc, took it apart and managed to wiggle a cotton bud with a dab of the wife's nail varnish remover onto the laser and now works a treat, all good part from its age and not having full postcode search but that's ok as I can get 99% of the way if I need to use the nav!
Floodys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Floodys For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 08:12   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floodys View Post
a cotton bud with a dab of the wife's nail varnish remover onto the laser and now works a treat
Please do not use Acetone (nail varnish remover) as this can etch into plastics, like laser lenses. And you don't want a foggy laser lens!

You would be better off with a bit of window cleaner.....
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 09:12   #5
mat2803

thanks for your replays
the car appears to have been looked after i will take the top off and try cleaning the laser.
do you think by unplugging the sat nav dvd tray in the first place trying to reset it could of blown the fuse ill have a good play to day with the car and change all the fuses that look black then refit the battery and see what happens.
I think i got a few problems and ill try and solve them individually. thanks again
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 09:18   #6
mat2803

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Please do not use Acetone (nail varnish remover) as this can etch into plastics, like laser lenses. And you don't want a foggy laser lens!

You would be better off with a bit of window cleaner.....
would meths be ok
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 10:11   #7
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat2803 View Post
would meths be ok
Anything that can remove dirt and dust without leaving residue / streaks on the laser is OK

Thus isoproyl alcohol or small amount of window cleaner

If you are really stuck, use the windscreen cleaner from your car. You only need a drop.
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 10:14   #8
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat2803 View Post
do you think by unplugging the sat nav dvd tray in the first place trying to reset it could of blown the fuse ill have a good play to day with the car and change all the fuses that look black then refit the battery and see what happens.
A complete physical disconnect will not change anything.
The laser is dead or dirty, unplugging power doesn't change that.

If you want to know for sure, go into the nav diagnostics and read what the nav itself thinks is wrong. No special tools required, all the diagnostics are built in and available to you.

From a cold start (vehicle in sleep mode), continuously press ENTER and then BACK, then ENTER, then BACK etc etc, rapidly, on either the remote or the steering wheel controls during the boot up period of the nav

Once in diagnostic mode, you can test many functions.

Look for the DVD mech test / error results, I bet you will see mech errors due to bad / dirty laser....
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 16:32   #9
mat2803

Default Update if your bothered lol

The sat nav is in bits wow the lazer is deep inside lol going to clean and then try. But a vinous I've fixed the rear entertainment system the wire that goes into the fridge compartment was broken and when I say broken all of the wires were snapped re soldering then sorted it out now hopefully it was that that was draining the battery only time will tell thanks for all your comments and help f
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 16:40   #10
stash

i'd be interested how you get on with the sat nav, i have took mine to bits, cleaned the lens etc, still not working. I am on the verge of getting rid of the lot and buying a 7" double din instead.
stash is offline   Reply With Quote