Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Second anual service

Views : 1585

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 8th, 2018, 23:20   #1
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Default Second anual service

Had my second anual service carried out today on my XC90, I informed the service manager that the stop start never works, even after a long run and that I thought the battery was not holding its full charge, although car always starts ok.
He rang me to say battery charge was only at 58% and he was ordering me a new battery, I am not really bothered about the stop start but was concerned about the battery and suspected it was faulty, there was a batch of faulty batteries on cars when mine was made (2017 MY) and several people on here have had batteries changed, and if a car has a feature it should work.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 07:39   #2
Chief inspector
Master Member

At 58% the battery has dead cells and is faulty, alternatively the dealer just read this off the diagnostics and its the battery monitor thats faulty.

Bothe my XC60 and V90 have been stopping and starting no problem, the XC would tell you why it wasn’t, which was usually, that it was charging the battery, it was doing a regen or that it needed to get the climate under control. This was rare and usually after a service where it probably sat for hours with the doors open or after 2 weeks at the airport.

Maybe the 90 series can show you the issue as well, but I havent found it yet!
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 09:33   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief inspector View Post
At 58% the battery has dead cells and is faulty, alternatively the dealer just read this off the diagnostics and its the battery monitor thats faulty.

Bothe my XC60 and V90 have been stopping and starting no problem, the XC would tell you why it wasn’t, which was usually, that it was charging the battery, it was doing a regen or that it needed to get the climate under control. This was rare and usually after a service where it probably sat for hours with the doors open or after 2 weeks at the airport.

Maybe the 90 series can show you the issue as well, but I havent found it yet!
Its standard practice to plug the spa cars into a charger on (power supply) now when carring out a service and sensus updates which can take several hours.
The only time my XC90 stop start works (but only for a day or two) is after getting it back from the dealer then it stops working, this time it did not work on the way back home. I am waiting for them to call me when new battery has arrived.
There is no information shown in the XC90 to tell you why stop start is not operating, although there is a list of possibilities in the manual.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jun 9th, 2018 at 09:36.
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 11:27   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Its standard practice to plug the spa cars into a charger on (power supply) now when carring out a service and sensus updates which can take several hours.
The only time my XC90 stop start works (but only for a day or two) is after getting it back from the dealer then it stops working, this time it did not work on the way back home. I am waiting for them to call me when new battery has arrived.
There is no information shown in the XC90 to tell you why stop start is not operating, although there is a list of possibilities in the manual.
The reasons for stop/start not working will be stored in the car to read out ,the information stored is very comprehensive regarding battery use and condition . there is a built in battery test which the dealer can do , it will tell them if a new battery is needed .
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 13:31   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The reasons for stop/start not working will be stored in the car to read out ,the information stored is very comprehensive regarding battery use and condition . there is a built in battery test which the dealer can do , it will tell them if a new battery is needed .
Yes; dealer can read stored info. I meant the driver gets no displayed information. You do get a low 12 volt warning if battery very low.I have had that a couple of times.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jun 9th, 2018 at 13:36.
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 16:32   #6
Quacker
Premier Member

My original battery was dodgy and start-stop didn't work. Since having the new battery it has, unfortunately, worked perfectly. Don't get flat battery when the car is left for a few days now though, so on balance I'll take the working stop/start and good battery rather than my preference of a non-functional stop/start.
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 17:47   #7
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
My original battery was dodgy and start-stop didn't work, so on balance I'll take the working stop/start and good battery rather than my preference of a non-functional stop/start.
My thoughts also.

Just noticed the check list in driver display on start up so have had the latest sensus update while in for service. I wonder if it stays on if there is one or more of the checks not green, you dont get long to check it normally.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jun 9th, 2018 at 17:53.
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 14:01   #8
chrisfr

If i use my car everyday the stop start works fine. If not then it wont work for the first day. It then returns to normal on the second day.
chrisfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 11:29   #9
Marley Don

My stop start hasn't worked for a year at least, except when I took it in for a service in March, then it worked for a couple of days. I was told by the dealer that the reason was that I was doing short journeys and the battery is never fully charging. But even after a long run, stop start has never worked.

As of yesterday the car is now out of manufacturers warranty, but is covered by the Volvo extended warranty - I'm guessing that a faulty battery would come under wear and tear though and not be covered.
Marley Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 15:44   #10
Lexman8
Premier Member

If you can reasonably demonstrate/prove that stop/start hasn't functioned over an extended period I reckon there's a case for the battery to be replaced under warranty. There was a bad batch of batteries way back, often with one of the cells failing and thus reducing the available voltage.

I make mostly short journeys and this has been particularly true over the last couple of weeks. My stop/start works on every trip after just a couple of mins of driving even with a cold engine.