Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

seat heater wont switch off?

Views : 1484

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2020, 13:33   #1
reevesy

Default seat heater wont switch off?

hi all...first posted in the wrong s40 section
... so hoping someone can help here

my drivers side seat heater wont switch off..it stays hot all the time...all right for short journeys but gets a bit warm for long one!

i could pull the fuse to stop it but want to fix it....button seems to click on and off ok...and the lights come on when you do

first thought was switch is either sticking or playing up...so my gut reaction was to remove it and see if it needs a clean and a spray of contact cleaner?

cant find any suggestions via google...plenty of people cant get it to work ...but none have complained of not being able to switch it off!?

anyway did'nt know if i'm looking in the right place and how to remove the switch..i was hoping it was a case of just popping it out with samll screwdriver or something...but knowing how cars are built you probably have to strip the consol out!

car is a 2009 s40 so any help /ideas would be most appreciated

cheers
reevesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 14:44   #2
reevesy

anyone any ideas?
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 16:20   #3
Notts Ian

If the light is behaving properly the switch must be OK. I don't have the wiring diagrams for your car to hand but I bet it's similar to my V50. There is a control module (SHM) for each seat heater. Chances are that one of these is faulty. You could try swapping them over to see if the fault moves with it.
Notts Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Notts Ian For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 12:09   #4
reevesy

thanks

was looking at a youtube video about retro fitting heated seats that mentions the module and explains a little bit about the wiring ....looks a straight forward path ....switch to the module thingy under the seat ..then the heater element in the seat.

bit concerned about fiddling around under the seat and the wiring in case i effect the safety air bag and what have you

think i read somewhere that you could trigger the airbag light and that has to be reset by a garage?

cheers
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 15:15   #5
Notts Ian

Oh yes. Be very very careful about the airbag system. I understand it's best done with the battery disconnected and left a while. Hopefully others will be able to confirm that.
Notts Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Notts Ian For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 18:18   #6
reevesy

thanks.....beginning to sound like its more trouble than its worth

might just take the fuse out
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 13:44   #7
reevesy

well according to the manual the fuse for the drivers seat is number 60 in the diagram ...15 amp fuse

pulled this out but the heater is still on!?...as is the indicator lamps on the switch so obviously has'nt killed any power to the heated seat side of things

theres another fuse for the drivers side power...but im guessing removal of that one is not a good idea as it powers the air bag side of things?

surely the removal of the fuse should turn the power off to the switch? just happy to switch the bloody thing off now ...so any help would be most appreciated

Last edited by reevesy; Oct 26th, 2020 at 13:47.
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 13:51   #8
reevesy

not the best photo but a snap of the (i'm guessing) seat heater module....the top right is an earth...the bottom right where my big blurry thumb is i think is the power supply to the seat heater ....going by a you tube vid for retro fitting a heater seat

dont know if its a good idea or safe just to remove the cable?

again just worried about effecting the airbag?

Edit :...on re watching the you tube vid....though the whole box doesnt look exactly the same the seat heater bit does.

think he points to the green one as being 12 volts..the black being ground..the white he called lin bus or something
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vovlo.jpg (353.1 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by reevesy; Oct 26th, 2020 at 15:13.
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 14:33   #9
reevesy

a clearer pic

i'm thinking its the top left group of cables...the one to remove is the bottom white one?

also ..not sure if they just pull out with a bit of force
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvo front.jpg (267.2 KB, 16 views)
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 14:37   #10
reevesy

view from the back of the seat..taken from the rear passenger footwell

the only cable i can see coming from the seat it's self is the big black cable that has the large green rectangle plug on the end...

dont know if that is the heater seat one and can be safely pulled out?

...looks a bit substantial just for a seat heater
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vovlo back.jpg (228.2 KB, 18 views)