Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear head rests

Views : 650

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2018, 22:40   #1
Steve XC60
Structural member

Default Rear head rests

Hi,
I have just collected my Mk2 XC60 and was wondering whether anyone has tried removing the rear head rests so as to fit child car seats better?
I have tried searching for answers and have seen that it is possible on the Mk1 XC60. I also saw a thread re the front seat headrests of a V90CC but it did not look like anyone had actually gone through with it on a SPA model.
Sorry if there is an answer out there and my searching abilities have let me down...
Thanks
Steve XC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2018, 12:18   #2
MOzS90

With no answer here surely a call to your local dealer should bear fruit. With their safety ethos I can’t believe Volvo haven’t thought of this. My daughters backed booster seat just rests in front of the headrest (raised a little) in my S90 but she is 6 and close to being the legal height not to need one. I could see it being a problem on more “chunky” seats designed for younger children. I also wondered if it could be done but seeing as it wasn’t necessary moved on.

Last edited by MOzS90; Apr 29th, 2018 at 12:26.
MOzS90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2018, 21:16   #3
Steve XC60
Structural member

For anyone who is interested, I have just removed a rear headrest in my MkII XC60 to see if it helps fit my child car seats.

Unfortunately it does not help me. Both types of child seat that I have still do not sit flush against the seat as the headrests for the child seats are still obstructed by the metal rods that are left once the car's headrest is removed - and those metal rods look sufficiently spiky for me to be putting the headrest straight back on!

I would have thought Volvo, being safety conscious and family friendly, would have a way to install child car seats for the larger child without the child seat resting on the headrest with a large gap between the back of the child seat and the actual car seat. My understanding is that the actual Volvo branded seats fit no better.

Anyone out there from Volvo with any suggestions?

For anyone who is ever interested in removing the headrest, the steps are as follows:
- press the button to trigger the folding headrests (and back seats as it makes the next step easier)
- grip the plastic panel that is on the rear of the headrest at the bottom on each side where the metal rod enters the headrest
- pull a few times, sharply but firmly until it comes away slightly from the headrest
- ease the rear plastic panel further away from the headrest, enough to clear the plastic lugs that fit into the headrest but not too much as there are still some plastic lugs holding the plastic panel onto the headrest at the top of the plastic panel
- then slide the plastic panel towards the top of the headrest so as to clear the last few plastic lugs
- once the rear plastic panel is off, there are two metal clips holding the headrest onto the metal rods which you need to ease off with a screwdriver
- the headrest then lifts off the metal rods
Getting it back on is much more tricky:
- First you have to realign and half fit the bottom centre lugs of the rear panel into the back of the headrest
- Then push the rear plastic panel towards the top of the headrest, being really careful not to break any of the lugs, especially the bottom centre lugs that is half fitted
- Then, once the top lugs are in place, you have to ease the bottom lugs into place (I needed to adjust the bottom centre lugs at this point gently with a screwdriver)
- Then it should all click shut.
Having done this once - I won't be doing it again and wouldn't recommend it!

Last edited by Steve XC60; May 19th, 2018 at 23:04. Reason: Adding instructions on how to refit the headrest
Steve XC60 is offline   Reply With Quote