Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.4t (200bhp) misfire cylinder one.

Views : 2496

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 24th, 2018, 19:52   #11
Footfistart

Dry as in not putting any oil in the cylinder and wet as in about a tee spoon worth in each one.

The pressure stopped increasing with in four to five cranks of the motor which I believe is sufficient.

The only code I get any that’s not very often it comes up is P0301 which is cylinder one misfire. I don’t get a management light just the car runs a bit rough at idle to about 2krpm before you don’t notice it. Wiring doesn’t look too bad but it is 18years old.

It’s not coil as there is spark at the spark plug as I pulled the coil out and stuck the spark plug in and cranked it. Definitely sparks. Earth studs cleaned and refitted. Car starts fine at the moment but I haven’t needed to use it but tomorrow I’ll take it out and see what it does when I gets hot.
Footfistart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 22:44   #12
petey
Master Member

If you have compression and you have a spark, all that’s left is fuel. Possibly an air leak in that area, I suppose.. getting a good spray pattern?
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 17:13   #13
Footfistart

I’ve been running petrol for a little while as my petrol doesn’t have lpg. I can’t remember if it ran as bad or worse in lpg. I drive past an lpg station on the way home so I’ll find out tonight from work.

I pulled the spark plug out and it’s sootted up from not firing. I swapped it into number two cylinder along with the coil and I had a p0302 with is cylinder two misfire but it cleared itself and I couldn’t get it back.

My dad says it might be a fuel injector that’s giving up. Not sure though. I’ve order new spark plugs just to definitely rule that out and I’ll put a new fuel filter on too and see if that helps.

Ryan
Old May 20th, 2018, 20:56   #14
Footfistart

So done some more digging and replaced plugs and coils and no difference. Can’t think what it is but only does it when hot. As in engine is hot to temperature or been idling for around twenty mins also or driven is usually within five mins so I don’t bother driving it now. Going to replace the crank sensor but I don’t have codes for that. Just stabbing in the dark. Any clues??
Old May 20th, 2018, 22:32   #15
oragex
Premier Member

Maybe follow the cables from the ignition coil #1 and check them also where they enter the coil connector. check the grounds on the cover as well.
Old May 26th, 2018, 23:42   #16
Footfistart

Well I’m done some more troubleshooting but installing new coils and new sparks which are gapped to 0.7mm and no difference. I took the thermostat out and that also didn’t change anything. Seems to be engine temperature related for sure.

I took all the earthing points I could off and cleaned them. I knew they be okay as they have been for the last 18years. Disconnected the battery and left it for half hour with cables touching to short everything out. Took the crank sensor out and cleaned that and again all of that made no difference. Still misses when it gets hot. I have no idea what else it can be.

I checked the cables and well it’s 18years old so the cables are hard from the heat but I can’t see anything wrong as such from what I looked at. I followed the cables but it joins the bigger look and it all ends up at the ecu under the bonnet. I loOked at the pins in the plug and well they look very similar to the other dour plugs.

A2C88363-0201-4FB8-AD8D-EB365D5E6A9E.jpg

Been told that there is 12v at the coil with ignition on it’s just the signal wire determines when to fire the coils but it’s very hard to measure that. I can’t measure the power because I don’t have the correct probes on my multimeter. Need thing long ones.

What else can cause this issue? Vacuum leaks?

Remember this happens when it’s hot but runs fine when cold.

Ryan
Old May 27th, 2018, 05:48   #17
oragex
Premier Member

Injector? wires to the injector ? A used injector may be just fine for testing/replacement, these rarely fail
Old May 27th, 2018, 09:15   #18
BarryCambs

Have you got to the bottom of the coolant system being over pressure?
BarryCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2018, 12:58   #19
Footfistart

It misses in lpg to I have ruled out fuel system. I know there is fuel as I can smell it when I take the spark plug out and it’s wet inside the combustion chamber. I would definitely try that.

And no not yet because I believe it’s to do with the lpg vaporiser leaking into the coolant system but I can’t service it until the misfire has been fixed due to the car needing to be retuned

Ryan
Old May 27th, 2018, 14:29   #20
oragex
Premier Member

Just a random thought, do the vvt solenoids work fine? Just wire them to the alternator/ground see if they click