Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

s80 II fitting towbar

Views : 1052

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2018, 15:49   #1
norwek

Default s80 II fitting towbar

hi all. i am planning to fit a towbar to my s80. I need some advice about electric conection. I was looking for manufacture towbar connection plug in the boot but I couldnt find it. do i have to connect straight into cables by lights? do I need a bypass ?( I will only use a towbar for bike carrier platform) does anybody know which colour of cable is for what? thanks for any help
norwek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 21:14   #2
Waynedance

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F172490046271

I fitted this to mine, was plug and play mainly. The plugs were already in the boot on the near side.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 19:13   #3
apersson850
Premier Member

Today's cars don't have towbar connections already prepared. They have a connection for a computer module, in Volvo's case called a TRailer Module. It's this TRM that then connects to the trailer, or whatever it is.

Direct connections to the different lights will confuse the monitoring the car has for the different lights.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 12:19   #4
norwek

I have located the manufacturer connectors in the boot. one is grey with one red cable and secondis green with five cables. could someone tell me which cable is L and R indicator, stop light, etc. I have a bypass TEB7AS. i hope this will work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180524_120444 (2).jpg (379.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180524_120540.jpg (300.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180524_120913.jpg (373.3 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by norwek; May 24th, 2018 at 12:48.
Old May 24th, 2018, 16:34   #5
apersson850
Premier Member

As I wrote above, it doesn't work like that any more.

The car is not designed to connect the trailer to the lights directly. You should use the TRailer Module, which interacts with the car's electric system the proper way, and creates the signals you need for your trailer. The TRM gets information from the car's CANbus communication system about when to turn on turn indicators, fog light etc.

Connecting the way you are thinking about is a thing of the past. There's no place to connect to in the lamps (as there were in a Volvo 850), so you would have to tamper with the wiring to make a connection.
In my opinion, the kind of module you have acquired is a piece of crap.
Old May 24th, 2018, 22:06   #6
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwek View Post
I have located the manufacturer connectors in the boot. one is grey with one red cable and secondis green with five cables. could someone tell me which cable is L and R indicator, stop light, etc. I have a bypass TEB7AS. i hope this will work
When I bought my Volvo in 2012 the towing electrics were via a bypass TEB7AS exactly the same as yours. There was a problem with the way it was wired to my Volvo in as much as the towing electrics were fitted with the tailgate open so power to the trailer brake lights were taken off the lower rear lights on the car which operate when the tailgate is open - shut the tailgate and the brake lights are powered from the lights on the tailgate itself so the brake lights on my trailer stopped working with the tailgate closed.

I ended up getting advice from a bloke called "Colin" via enquiries@indilec.com and he sent me a wiring diagram for my Volvo and I managed to access the correct wire to allow the brake lights on my trailer to operate correctly when the tailgate was closed. If you Google "TEB7AS" you will see loads of advice on how to fit the TEB7AS unit and if you email "Towsure" or another similar company I'm sure they will help with which wire to connect to where.

PS. The only thing that does not work is the park assist as it sees the trailer as an obstruction and has to be turned off when the trailer is hitched up. The TEB7AS module blips when the indicators are used so you know that the trailer indicator lights are working.

Last edited by GrantA; May 24th, 2018 at 22:10.
GrantA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2018, 08:15   #7
norwek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantA View Post
When I bought my Volvo in 2012 the towing electrics were via a bypass TEB7AS exactly the same as yours. There was a problem with the way it was wired to my Volvo in as much as the towing electrics were fitted with the tailgate open so power to the trailer brake lights were taken off the lower rear lights on the car which operate when the tailgate is open - shut the tailgate and the brake lights are powered from the lights on the tailgate itself so the brake lights on my trailer stopped working with the tailgate closed.

I ended up getting advice from a bloke called "Colin" via enquiries@indilec.com and he sent me a wiring diagram for my Volvo and I managed to access the correct wire to allow the brake lights on my trailer to operate correctly when the tailgate was closed. If you Google "TEB7AS" you will see loads of advice on how to fit the TEB7AS unit and if you email "Towsure" or another similar company I'm sure they will help with which wire to connect to where.

PS. The only thing that does not work is the park assist as it sees the trailer as an obstruction and has to be turned off when the trailer is hitched up. The TEB7AS module blips when the indicators are used so you know that the trailer indicator lights are working.
thanks. will try to contact them
Old May 26th, 2018, 07:34   #8
V70Driver76

I have just instaaled tow bar electrics on my V70. After messing around with a dedicated kit, I sent it back for a refund and put a genuine Volvo one on from FRF. Cheaper than aftermarket at about £100 including deliver but everything works! It does need to be coded in at a cost of about £80 by Volvo (software download).

Good luck but if you don’t get it sorted, this is my recommendation.
V70Driver76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2018, 09:11   #9
Waynedance

No coding on the kit I used, plug and play mostly just one wire to the fog light with connectors supplied.
Old May 27th, 2018, 20:50   #10
apersson850
Premier Member

All your comments confirm my opinion. Throw the bypass thingy where it belongs, in the dustbin, and get the real thing.