Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New to Volvos - Black smoking please help :(

Views : 891

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2018, 22:15   #1
Jonv50D

Default New to Volvos - Black smoking please help :(

Hello All,

Purchased my first V50 2.0D 2010 R Design!!. I was loving it until, a friend behind said your car is smoking

The problem is I get black smoke when put under any load, it is too much i would say i have owned lots of Diesels. I also believe the turbo is a little noisy as well, but searching these forums I can see others have said theirs are, when you let off it gives a little tiss.

Anyone got any ideas on where they would start if they had this fault please? I am thinking blank or clean EGR and maybe inlet if they are easy enough to remove and check for boost leaks.

Anyone know if I can blank the EGR when the car has a DPF?

Also what diagnostic software is best for Volvo? Which is cheap enough to buy? Got feeling I may need it.

Thanks I do still love the car.. just hoping it does not give me a lot of stick.
Jonv50D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 06:54   #2
Gremlin682001

Morning, I’ve had this on my 05 2.0d and others here have advised me to clean the throttle body and to check all the hoses first, the egr is certainly a possibility but I would start with the throttle body.
Hopefully others will be along with better and more detailed help.
Hope this helps
Gremlin682001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 08:17   #3
Jonv50D

Thank you. I will try that as well.

I will have to keep searching the forums to see if anything else comes up as well. From previous threads i see people mentioning smoke is not uncommon with the non-dpf version, mine definitely has the DPF
Old May 23rd, 2018, 08:41   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonv50D View Post
Anyone know if I can blank the EGR when the car has a DPF?
No you cannot, it is an automatic MOT fail as the emissions systems have been tampered with

And you poison the planet. Don't do it.

Too much smoke is caused by very wrong air/fuel mixture, most often caused by inlet leaks
This will clog up the DPF very quickly, so get it fixed ASAP
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 09:55   #5
skippyfox
VOC Member

As SwissXC90 says, it is most likely to be a fuel/air mix at fault. black smoke under load usually points to over fuelling. hope it puts you on the right track for the problem.
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2018, 22:58   #6
Jonv50D

Angry **Update**

Update*-*
Hi, today I have cleaned the throttle body out and noticed the EGR valve had a blanking plate (Full plate –no hole) I have removed the blanking plate and drove it but it appears to be the same. I haven’t driven it much since, but it doesn’t seem any different.
I would of assumed an EGR blanking plate would of flagged the engine management light? The EGR electric connector was still connected even though it was blanked off. On searching the internet people advised against blanking when you have a DPF? Does anyone know why is this?
Hopefully I am going to get to the bottom of this, I adore the car!
Thanks
Old May 26th, 2018, 07:13   #7
harveys
Master Member

Have a good look at your boost hoses for splits and intercooler for leaks .
good chance it will be oily.
Old May 26th, 2018, 08:23   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Check your air filter, if it's blocked/dirty then you won't get enough air into the engine to burn the diseasel completely.

Black smoke is excess fuel, yes you will get a puff of it when you floor the throttle but it shouldn't last longer than a couple of seconds at the most.

Also try running it on decent fuel (BP, Shell but NOT Tescos!) and putting an injector cleaner through it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2018, 08:35   #9
chrisfr

I would certainly agree with the above. Injectors are fickle things. I had smoke once on a discovery which was as soon as i put any load. It just appeared out of nowhere, but was probably happening gradually. It was on a long run.I stopped driving the car and had it recovered. A landrover dealer cleaned the injectors but also changed one of them and it never happened again. My discovery was a simpler beast to a volvo but the principles are the same.Good luck. I think working through the list of suspects is key, which is what you seem to be doing. Im sure you will find the culpret soon.
chrisfr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisfr For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2018, 08:42   #10
chrisfr

One other thing, was you said the turbo was a bit noisy. How does the engine tick over. Is it smooth or lumpy? Do the revs wobble or stay level.When you start to raise the revs in neutral do you get smoke?
Have you checked the oil level in the engine? Volvos have this habit of the oil level rising due to fuel dumping into the sump during dpf regeneration.
chrisfr is offline   Reply With Quote