Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What I did today thread...

Views : 323540

Replies : 3017

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2018, 14:08   #1361
alanoconnor

What I did today...

Watched the Wedding from 8.30 this morning. I thought it was ace, especially the preacher who went on for ages and half the congregation couldn't stop laughing at him.

That woman in the polka dot dress made my day.

The day even got better - I finished off the mixed kebab I found in the fridge that I bought last night and had forgotten about - took my mind off the 3 bids I put on eBay last night when I was a bit tipsy. I have no need for any Mulberry, leather travel bags...I could end up with 3.
alanoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2018, 17:19   #1362
eternal optimist
Master Member

Changed the oil (Shell Helix 5/40), oil, air, fuel and cabin filters (all genuine Volvo), fitted a Towbar and put the wiring loom in for the subwoofer. Picked the loom out of another XC70 in a local scrapyard. All good except the violet wire to switch the sub on doesn’t appear to work. If I earth the wire the sub starts, so I know the sub is OK.

Cleaned up the rear wheelarches whilst the bumper was off including unbolting the bump stops to get all the mud out and dealing with a bit of surface rust on the bumpstops.

Not yet put the new decals on the tailgate after it’s been painted and I’ve not taken enough brave pills to drill holes in the tailgate to fit the spoiler.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2018, 18:37   #1363
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Default Why?

Don't bore a bunch of holes through your sheet metal in order to attach a nonfunctioning appearance option.
Rust, non-matching paint, peeling paint, loosening fasteners, absence of listing on the build sheet such that no discerning millionaire will ever buy your car.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2018, 19:09   #1364
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
Don't bore a bunch of holes through your sheet metal in order to attach a nonfunctioning appearance option.
Rust, non-matching paint, peeling paint, loosening fasteners, absence of listing on the build sheet such that no discerning millionaire will ever buy your car.
Thanks for the helpful input!

The tailgate is not metal; I like the appearance; there’s nothing to go rusty; the paint matches; it’s no more likely to peel than that on the rest of the car; there’s no reason why the fasteners will loosen; not sure what you mean by ‘absence of listing on the build sheet’ as it was a factory option (same as the rear skid plate and the sill skid plates); and this discerning millionaire did buy it.

Last edited by eternal optimist; May 19th, 2018 at 19:31.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2018, 19:54   #1365
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
Thanks for the advice Georgeandkira...IMHO the spoiler only makes a difference to rear grip if you exceed 155mph.......

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2018, 22:46   #1366
Dancake
Premier Member

Replaced the small bushing in the gearbox torque mount with a Powerflex one, fitted two new exhaust hangers and cleaned up the front fog lights and fog light protectors.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 19:49   #1367
alanoconnor

Well, finally got the call I had been waiting for so got the bus down to Birkenhead where the 'Funniest mechanic in the North West' was waiting for me with my keys

Gloria has been naughty. Said mechanic replaced CEM, his mate couldn't reprogram it so said mechanic loaded it onto a truck and took it to a Volvo dealership, where it was sorted. On driving back to garage he pulled over as the T5 was lacking power - phoned Volvo dealer and they said it had an issue with throttle so my new found best mate sorted it - he's had the car for nearly 2 weeks, done a few bit to it like replaced spark plugs, swapped over an ABS module and pump, taken out old CEM, effectively stored car for 2 weeks, put in new CEM..and wanted £300. I gave him another £40. More than happy.

So, got the car back home. Ripped out the aftermarket stereo and fitted a HU-650, sorted out the passenger side washer - pipe was disconnected (perhaps that caused water ingress into CEM?) and - lo and behold...my parking sensors started working)) Bonus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gloria1 (1024x768).jpg (221.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg stereo1 (1024x768).jpg (149.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg stereo2 (1024x768).jpg (192.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg stereo3 (1024x768).jpg (232.3 KB, 29 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to alanoconnor For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2018, 19:51   #1368
alanoconnor

I do have a problem though - I dropped a screw down by the gear stick and cannot find it - will have a look tomorrow after I have bought a magnet of some kind. And I haven't fitted the stereo too well but it works.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 22:13   #1369
alanoconnor

I have a cup-holder now...yay
Old May 23rd, 2018, 08:19   #1370
Longhouse21
Master Member

Car just passed MOT with no advisories yesterday (except for the note that plastic sill covers are fitted) after a fail on Monday. Handbrake failed on the Monday test - cable on off side pulled through the retaining lugs on the expander. Glad that happened on the test bed and not on a hill! Wouldn't mind too much but I'd only checked everything over the weekend including adjusting the handbrake to 5 clicks.
A quick re-build and check of both sides on Monday evening and back in for the test Tuesday morning.
On the retest, I was complemented on how good the handbrake was. Should be, I rebuilt it a few years ago with all new springs, shoes, cables, expanders and yes, I did fit the adjusters in place of the H bar.
Got treated to a full clean, hand polish with Autoglym SRP & High Gloss finish and all plastics treated with Autoglym plastic & bumper trim.
Need to get the aircon sorted & wheels re-finished now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Longhouse21 For This Useful Post: