Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

440 Turbo Back from the Dead?

Views : 6688

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2017, 20:36   #21
Hell Driver

I've started to try to get to the bottom of this running problem. As yet the CAT is still on as it needs the sensor to run properly I believe. Just checked the compression, 150,148, 150, 150, so all OK there. The crank sensor is off as I've got a new one to put on. I cleaned the plugs a couple of weeks ago (all were black with carbon) and since running a bit to move the car around 1 and 4 are black again. The middle 2 are clean. Am I right in thinking this points to a fuel/spark issue on just these two. The plugs although old (10 years) did not see much service before I took the car off the road.
Hell Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2017, 00:32   #22
Jiff Lemon

I'd take a look at the ignition side - Plug leads, cap and rotor arm. If they're been stood around for a while, moisture can get in and play havoc with them
Jiff Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 00:06   #23
Hell Driver

Good point, look at the simple stuff before looking for more complicated answers! Today the leads, cap and rotor arm were changed, still not running right, 1 and 4 plugs still covered with carbon straight away with 2 and 3 staying clean. I put some injector cleaner in the petrol and as if by magic, plugs 1 and 4 once cleaned now stayed clean. (I also swapped them to middle positions to discount plug problems.) I also put in a gallon of fresh petrol on top of the one I put in a couple of weeks ago to dilute the old stuff in there (which was minimal). The engine was still running a bit rough at low revs, sounded better at higher revs but still not quite right. Also every so often it began hunting faster and slower. One thing I did notice was that the plug nearest the cam belt end was always wet (petrol) when I took them out. (maybe the engine always come to rest with injection of petrol on this cylinder?). As it's coming off anyway I decided to take the cat off. Now with the sensor off and no back pressure I assume the engine will not run correctly anyway! It appears to be no worse now, maybe the lambda sensor was not working anyway? The cat looks OK inside on the engine side.

Last edited by Hell Driver; Apr 30th, 2017 at 00:09.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 22:02   #24
Hell Driver

Went for the last simple fix I've not done as yet today, plugs. At the local motorists shop, I found out that the plugs in it were the wrong ones! Case solved, now running as it should. Very strange as I put those plugs in 10 years ago and drove the car without issue (although only for a few hundred miles). I can only think that they were getting degraded or sooted up and got many times worse due to cold starts over the last 10 years of occasional moving the car around. The electrodes were too short and must have not been giving a spark in the right place, causing carbon to build up around the insulator. Lesson learnt! Never trust the plugs you are given over the counter without checking yourself! Many thanks to the chap today checking up and not just giving me a new set of the wrong ones I took with me today.

Last edited by Hell Driver; May 3rd, 2017 at 22:04.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hell Driver For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 21:40   #25
ciderman

Default 440 turbo

I have one, a seaside car with rust in the strangest places--- BUT, it has foam cancer. all the foam of the interior is breaking up like old sponge cake....
All of it!
ciderman is offline   Reply With Quote