Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electronic Oil Level Sensor reset

Views : 3621

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 11:15   #1
Frank B

Question Electronic Oil Level Sensor reset

I have a 2016 XC70 D5 AWD 220 bhp, bought s/h 6 months ago. I'm old school and like an oil / filter change every 6 months, dont mind if I'm wasting my money but my previous V70 D5 185 was running well when I sold it after 8 years and 131,000 miles.

Question is, after refilling with the requisite 5.9 litres of A5 B5 O/30 is any action needed to reset the electronic oil sensor (AKA dipstick) or does it reset itself after 30 miles ?

Thanks
Frank B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 12:09   #2
apersson850
Premier Member

It will reset itself. But it may take a while.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 06:55   #3
green van man
Premier Member

And may not be very accurate.
Mine happily showed oil level at 100% when in fact it was barely over the min mark on the dipstick. Was told by the dealer they recalibrate it every service. I assume via Vida. I asked they did a better job next service.

I had thought the oil capacity was 5.7 litres but you have a newer engine than me so may be different.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 07:18   #4
straightsix
I've Been Banned

Wink

Best thing they ever did getting rid of those primitive dip sticks ...There just so last century darling...
straightsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 08:29   #5
apersson850
Premier Member

Replacing the accurate dip stick with an electronic gizmo, which only will tell you two levels, "Fine" or "You're toast", wasn't any real development.

The older cars, like my 2012, does at least display several levels with the electronic measurement.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 10:34   #6
straightsix
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
Replacing the accurate dip stick with an electronic gizmo, which only will tell you two levels, "Fine" or "You're toast", wasn't any real development.

The older cars, like my 2012, does at least display several levels with the electronic measurement.
Agreed my comment was somewhat tongue in cheek...Have electronic monitoring by all means but retain the good ole dipstick ..it is incapable of lying...
straightsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 12:30   #7
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Quote:
..it is incapable of lying...
If the car is on level ground!
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 12:50   #8
Frank B

Question Follow up query

so how far up the service dipstick should the oil go ? on the old car 2008 D5 it was only filled to about 3/4
Frank B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 09:04   #9
green van man
Premier Member

I would stick with the 3/4 full recommendation. The D5 as far as I am aware were not re designed after the mods that came in around 2010 to combat the failed dpf regen dumping fuel into the sump.
While I have perceived no rising oil problems in my P3 D5 I am told it is still a posibility, and my dealer adheres to the 3/4 full still.

There is a police spec conversion hopefully still available that re instates the full sized dip stick. It's certainly on my wish list as I'm tired of skinned knuckles and dirty cuffs.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2018, 16:28   #10
rcpilot

Thumbs up electronic dipstick

What a load of rubbish those electronic dipsticks are, I was coming back from a touring caravan holiday when the DIM flashed up the electronic dipstick saying it was low on oil, so I slowed down for the rest of the journey home. I put in some oil, the electronic dipstick did not show this until I had driven the car for a short distance, it still said it required oil, so I put some more oil in. I left it at that but had not yet driven the car, being a retired mechanic I thought that as the car had only done 30,000 from new and had the oil changed at the recommened intervals, by me, and it never burns oil and no leaks I thought I would investigate. I drained the oil into a bucket which had been marked at 5.9 litres by filling it with water from graduated glass jugs, low and behold the oil level was well above the 5.9 litre mark by some 2 litres yet the electronic dipstick was reading half full.
I took out the little manual dipstick which is left of centre at the bottom of the engine block cleaned it and put it back, I then made sure the oil in the bucket was at 5.9 litre mark and poured it back (only just did a oil change so not going to waste it) took oput the little dipstick it showed the level at about 2/3 way up so I cleaned it and put a little saw mark on the dip stick for future reference. so in fact the oil level was ok when the DIM flashed up the warning. I have a launch digun so will see if the electronic dipstic can be reset to full now I know there is 5.9 litres of oil in the engine.
rcpilot is offline   Reply With Quote