Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 soft brakes - please help!

Views : 4659

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2018, 13:37   #1
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

Default 240 soft brakes - please help!

Hello all - really appreciate your advice/thoughts on this one...

The brakes on my 1991 240 estate were firm, positive and worked as they should do but needed maintenance

4 x new calipers, pads all round, rear discs, 6 x new flexible hoses were fitted along with with fresh brake fluid. When I collected the car, the brakes were shocking with several inches of brake pedal travel

I returned the car and this time additionally a new master cylinder was fitted. The brakes are better with less pedal travel. However, the pedal still moves 2-3 inches before anything happens, and probably nearer 6 inches if any real braking is needed - it's borderline terrifying!

With the engine off, the pedal can be moved and with the engine running moves much further. The brakes are smooth, don't pull and are better after about 500 miles of mixed driving (the discs/pads have bed-in)

The brakes have been bled at least four times now. So what's going on? Any help/thoughts/advice please?

Nick
Nicholas Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 15:21   #2
eternal optimist
Master Member

If you out your foot on the break and press down then start the engine, it’s normal for the pedal to sink further until it firms up again - that’s a sign the servo is working.

If you release the pedal then press it again, it shouldn’t go down as far as before you lifted it.

Assuming the pedal stays hard when you press it down, I’m not sure you have a problem with air that needs bleeding. If it is at all spongy, then there’s still trapped air. That can happen when the calipers are fitted on the wrong side of the car such that fluid enters at the top and the bleed nipple’s at the bottom, below the fluid inlet. Bleed it as much as you like, it will stay spongy.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 19:23   #3
morsing
Premier Member

Hi,

I had this problem for years with my 240 and it turned out to be the anti-squeal shims. Take them out, you don't need them...

Thanks
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 00:28   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Because the system has been drained (best not to unless unavoidable) the spider block will need bleeding
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 15:38   #5
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

Thanks to all of you for input - very useful

A couple of local journeys later and the brakes are certainly biting better - in other words they are bedding-in just fine. The problem is to get that bite (and we're not talking unduly heavy braking or a load greater than two adults) I need to use 3 or 4 inches of travel on the pedal and at one point when I needed a bit more brake quite a bit more. That's not right to me...

So, Dai, what's a spider block? Please!

Cheers all

Nick
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 21:54   #6
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default Spider Block

On the near-side chassis leg, if you follow the pipes from the master cylinder, you'll find a piece of kit with 8 pipes coming out of it. This is the "spider block" or "octopus" and it splits the fluid among the various calipers.

There is also a switch on the unit, made of nylon so very fragile. This switch needs to be cracked open to let the valve centre itself; you may(probably will) need to re-bleed the brakes themselves afterwards if any air gets into the system.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 09:01   #7
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I don't think a 1991 car has the sliding valve inside.
Earlier cars did, and the valve was triggered to warn of a pressure difference between the two braking circuits.
Later cars dispensed with this, and instead the warning light was simply triggered by a fluid level detector on the master cylinder reservoir.Check if there is actually an electrical connection to the octopus.

I'm not sure when the change-over happened, but none of my cars from 1990 onwards had the sliding valve.
You can bleed the octopus thing by slackening a pipe coupling on each circuit and gently expelling some fluid, like bleeding a house radiator.

I've had your symptoms once, and it was when I'd fitted the kind of front brake pads that have a massive chamfer. I was alarmed when they arrived that they had such a reduced surface area, and they took so long to bed in that I replaced them with the ordinary non-chamfered kind.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 15:20   #8
morsing
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
I'm not sure when the change-over happened, but none of my cars from 1990 onwards had the sliding valve.
My '89 has it...
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 10:13   #9
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

Thanks all for continuing thoughts. An update:

So garage #2 had a go at bleeding the system and now it's worse! Dai kindly spoke to them directly particularly regarding bleeding the distribution valve (aka spider block/valve). They'll have another go at it next week and see how things are after that

I have no experience at all of hydraulics so altho I understand the principles, I don't want to get directly involved in something as important as brakes

Keep you posted. Meantime I'm keeping extra distance and only driving locally!

Thanks all, Nick
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 10:44   #10
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I've heard it said that the pressure-limiting valves in the pipe run to the rear brakes can cause problems if the system has been completely emptied. They are at the highest point of the run so air bubbles can stick there.
The advice is to jack the car up as high as possible at the back, or park facing downhill.

My standard advice at this point is never to drain the entire system at once. Seal off each section, bench bleed the components, and bleed air out of the joints as you re-connect them.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote