Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Low power at times and ECM-1507

Views : 5516

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 13th, 2018, 20:55   #1
George Rio

Default Low power at times and ECM-1507

Hello Volvo fans

I have been checking a lot of threads related to S60 D5 limp modes, turbo low pressure and error number ECM-1507 in particular, but I do not find anything matching my case.

So here is the story - for over a year I own S60 D5244T5 mod. 2008, manual transmission, and I experience a very strange low power behaviour - that happens at times (around 60% of engine starts) and the result is that the car lacks power - it seems that turbo compressor does not work and it behaves like a regular diesel car.

The low power "mode" usually happens when:
  1. on start - when I start the engine the car is already in low power mode
  2. if the start is normal and car goes just fine on 1 and 2 gear, when I get to 3rd gear, around 1500-1600 RPM the car looses power, the orange triangle notifications and "ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED" message appear on the dashboard.

After checking the error codes with Volvo diagnostics tool, ECM-1507 appeared:

--------------------------------------------

284: ECM-1507 Turbo control. Too low pressure

----
Possible sources
  • Air leaks in the induction system
  • Faulty air temperature sensor inlet
  • Damaged turbo control motor
  • The EGR-valve has jammed in open position
  • Damaged turbo charger (TC)

Fault symptoms
  • Poor perfomance

--------------------------------------------
So, the journey began...

For maintenance I go to a Volvo garage, but it is not the official dealer (I am reluctant to go to the dealer, because of the really poor service it provides - I will not go into the details, it's not my point) - and I really trust those guys, since they are more than VOLVO fans and drivers themselves, they also built a really strong Volvo and Saab community - generally, they are honest guys, doing excellent job and they do it because they want to, not only for the money.

So, I checked the error with them (apart from an air conditioning sensor error, ECM-1507 was the only one that appeared) they also checked the system for air leaks (several times on different occasions) - nothing was found. I had the swirl flaps replaced, and I have asked them to clear the EGR-valve - so that was done.

I put a lot of hope on the EGR cleaning, because the car has had a really strange behaviour - it could start with the error, I can drive it that way for some time, but if I had to stop and drive again in - let's say 10-15 minutes - when I start it again, there is a very high chance that the limp mode is away and the car has power again. I can drive it, the turbo charger seems to work, no problem for some time - the limp mode can reappear on the very next stop/start or after a couple of starts.

So I thought the EGR valve jammed because of working temperature.... But cleaning it did not help for the limp mode problem.

As I mentioned above at times the car has power as it should - no problem with low or high RPM/speed, it goes just fine. That's why I hope it is not the turbo charger that is the problem - much more that it had been serviced/cleaned before I bought it.

Well, I am wondering if any of you, ladies (I hope we have ladies in the forum too ) and gentlemen, can share your piece of advice - do you think it is the "turbo control motor" (which I imagine is the turbo control valve) playing tricks? Or else? I thought of replacing the pressure sensor (MAP), but I have not found any similar problem related to it... and honestly, I can imagine that if it fails, it fails for permanent...

I would very much appreciate if you can share your experience and thoughts, thank you in advance!

Last edited by George Rio; May 13th, 2018 at 20:58.
George Rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 23:35   #2
drone

Try removing the connectors to the turbo control motor and give them a spraying of contact cleaner, when either removing or replacing the connector give the turbo control motor a "technical tap" with a small hammer.

Take the pre cat lambda sensor out and give it a clean with carb cleaner also spray the connections with contact cleaner, take the greatest of care whilst removing the lambda sensor.
Clean the contacts on the exhaust gas temperature sensor, the connector is a pain to separate btw.
It may well be none of those things but the technical tap may work
The Following User Says Thank You to drone For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2018, 23:53   #3
drone

Forgot to say, take the main ecu connectors apart and give them a spray with contact cleaner.
It can't do any harm and it doesn't take much oxidisation to create digital ripples.
The Following User Says Thank You to drone For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2018, 22:18   #4
George Rio

Hi drone - thanks for the idea! I have not noticed any significant oxidisation, but I guess that the not so obvious might be the key. The "technical tap" you suggest makes me think that you would lean towards a further check on the turbo control motor..?
George Rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2019, 20:56   #5
vaidasvai

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Rio View Post
Hi drone - thanks for the idea! I have not noticed any significant oxidisation, but I guess that the not so obvious might be the key. The "technical tap" you suggest makes me think that you would lean towards a further check on the turbo control motor..?
Hi, how you solved this problem?
vaidasvai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecm-1507, limp mode, low boost pressure, low pressure