Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Start / stop

Views : 3275

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2018, 19:37   #1
MOzS90

Default Start / stop

2017 S90.

I’ve read the online manual but can’t get my head around this annoying trait as it does not mention it.

I use eco mode. I come to a halt at my final destination and the engine stops as my foot is on the brake.

As I start to move the gear selector from Drive to Park the bloody engine fires again very briefly just before I twist the starter around to stop, killing it again. I can’t imagine what damage (or more likely increased wear and tear) this I doing and I’m not in the habit of remembering to turn off start stop as I start my journey.

The system seems too sensitive and really annoying.

Has anyone else had this happen? Remembering to turn start / stop off would fix this I guess but is there any other way around it???
Old May 15th, 2018, 19:54   #2
MOzS90

I haven’t tried to turn the engine off whilst still in drive then moving the lever to park after the engine has stopped. Is this possible???
Old May 15th, 2018, 20:57   #3
sdrennan

You cannot turn off whilst in Drive (even if engine stopped)

I can confirm my V90 does the same.

You arrive at destination and brake.
Engine Stops
Move to park. Engine starts again then stops.

I am assuming that Park needs Engine to get Gearbox in correct state
sdrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sdrennan For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2018, 21:31   #4
DeZemBer

Weird... I don't recall having the issue.

The car stop and I apply brake. Engine cuts off and while still pressing the brake, I shift to Park. Release foot on brake and turn off engine. Don't recall the engine fires back....

hmmm...Let me observe it tomorrow again.
Old May 15th, 2018, 21:38   #5
MOzS90

I wonder if I need to keep more pressure on the footbrake whilst selecting Park on the selector?

It’s all I can think of.
Old May 15th, 2018, 22:54   #6
Bernard F

As stated above you cannot switch off whilst in drive, it has to be in park. The car will not be harmed or wear out any quicker. It’s designed to cope with umpteen thousands of stop starts. If you want to keep the engine running whilst changing to park brake far more gentle and hold the brake just as it stops not harder which will cause stop start to work., you may need to practice to get it right.
Old May 15th, 2018, 23:33   #7
Roosterb

Yes it’s appalling. It cuts in coasting to a stop and has no intelligence when you’re in traffic. The BMW system stops cutting out when it realises you’re nose to tail. Not this Volvo pile of crap. Yesterday it took me 4 hrs to do 100 miles down the M6, with the stupid engine cutting out every time I stopped.
I’m sick of this. Volvo if you actually read this please give me a test car and I’ll sort out all this garbage for you.
Old May 15th, 2018, 23:45   #8
BillyJay

But surely you can inactivate the stop/start in the settings menu.
BillyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 23:50   #9
Whiterdesign
Master Member

Roosterby, suggest you sell your Volvo and buy a bmw, you’ve done nothing but mone about for a long time.
Old May 15th, 2018, 23:55   #10
Bernard F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterb View Post
Yes it’s appalling. It cuts in coasting to a stop and has no intelligence when you’re in traffic. The BMW system stops cutting out when it realises you’re nose to tail. Not this Volvo pile of crap. Yesterday it took me 4 hrs to do 100 miles down the M6, with the stupid engine cutting out every time I stopped.
I’m sick of this. Volvo if you actually read this please give me a test car and I’ll sort out all this garbage for you.
The whole point of stop start is that it’s supposed to cut the engine every time you stop and start up when the car starts moving. You can either stop it altogether if you hate it so much, learn to feather the brake and keep the engine running or swop it for a BMW.