Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Start / stop

Views : 3271

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2018, 20:29   #21
renesis

I’ve always been a fan of the start stop system as it’s always worked pretty well on both manual and auto cars I’ve driven.

However my18 XC90 D5 appears to be very sensitive in that as I am coming to a stop in traffic before the car stops the system kicks in which makes the car slow a little harsher than I would like so to compensate I ease off the brake to enable to car to come to a smooth stop rather than jerking forwards. In doing this it causes the engine to start up again! Madness! Maybe it’s just me getting used to it, I find it even worse in eco mode.
Old May 17th, 2018, 08:29   #22
Lexman8
Premier Member

If auto handbrake isn't switched on the engine will start as you release the foot brake.

The idea is that if you use the foot brake to hold the car stationary then as you move your foot to the accelerator the engine starts and the car is ready to go by the time your foot is on the accelerator pedal.
Old May 17th, 2018, 09:22   #23
biogoo

I came to the forum this morning to search for this exact issue, so was gratified to find this thread right at the top!

I had thought that something was wrong with my MY18 XC60, as the behaviour of the stop/start seemed inconsistent and so different to other cars I've driven with the feature. Whilst it usually works as expected, stopping the engine shortly after the car comes to a halt, it can also cut out in slow-moving traffic before the wheels have even stopped turning - sometimes sending quite a jerk through the car.

At the very least I'd expect the car to have stopped before the engine cuts out, as it can otherwise lead to jerky progress at slow speeds as was mentioned elsewhere in the thread. The ideal for me would be that the engine stops a couple of seconds after the auto-brake kicks in, assuming I still have the brake pressed. That would work nicely in crawling traffic, but would also mean that I could pull up to a junction and lift my foot off the brake as soon as the auto-brake comes on, leaving the engine running for a quick getaway. If I could subsequently re-enable stop/start by putting my foot back on the brake then all the better.

I live in hope that Volvo add an option in the menus to control how quickly the stop/start feature works after the car completely stops, but I won't hold my breath. What's the best way to give feedback to Volvo on subjects like this?

biogoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 09:34   #24
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard F View Post
It’s helping to improve the environment and even save you a little money.
I would argue otherwise- but I don't want to take this topic sideways.. Start stop is just a way for auto manufacturers to achieve better emissions/city mpg numbers by playing with statistics/averages.. It does nothing for the environment and it ends up costing you more than just keeping your engine running.. But yeah, it's there and we gotta learn to live with it..

I personally turn it off as soon as I get the car started and keep it off under normal circumstances. Should I get stuck in a major traffic jam- eg. being stationary for prolonged periods- I turn it back on.. But that's just me
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2018, 09:52   #25
2funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
I would argue otherwise- but I don't want to take this topic sideways.. Start stop is just a way for auto manufacturers to achieve better emissions/city mpg numbers by playing with statistics/averages.. It does nothing for the environment and it ends up costing you more than just keeping your engine running.. But yeah, it's there and we gotta learn to live with it..

I personally turn it off as soon as I get the car started and keep it off under normal circumstances. Should I get stuck in a major traffic jam- eg. being stationary for prolonged periods- I turn it back on.. But that's just me
You could be right: if your daily drive is , say, 30 minutes, and the time your engine is off is roughly 2-3 minutes in total (depending on the number and duration of stops), that would make 5-10% decrease in emissions/consumption.

But I say: why not?
2funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 09:55   #26
familymangreg
Premier Member

Another view is from the perspective of the pedestrian. Consider a busy city street where the lights turn red. Several cars pull up all with start stop and the engines cut out, the positive effect this has on noise pollution alone is quite significant.

The XC90 is the first car we've had with start stop, so cannot compare to other brands, maybe it is a bit keen to cut out, but this has never cause us any problem or concern, just let it get on with it.

For those who argue the system is dangerous and not able to react to sudden prods of the accelerator, then I would argue that perhaps you need to take a look at your driving style, if you are not able to foresee your next manoeuvre until a split second before you wish to make it, maybe your driving style is in fact the danger.

:wq
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2018, 09:59   #27
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterb View Post
They could make it easier to switch off then instead of scrolling and picking from a mass of options. Maybe a big button in the middle of the steering wheel.
Have you considered re-arranging the icons on the setting screen to place the start stop option up at the top left where you can always find it easily?

Alternatively, consider setting up individual drive mode as you like it, with start stop disabled, then you can switch it off quite easily by selecting indeividual with the scroll wheel.

Old May 17th, 2018, 11:01   #28
chrisfr

I live in rural France and have an xc60. It is a 220 bhp d5. Start stop is not really needed as we do not have traffic jams. The only thing it has done for me is that it reduced the cost of french registration when i imported the car from the uk from 2300 euros to 700. This is all because it is start stop. The french charge a eco tax on first time registration which applies to new cars. It also applies on import.
So the first time registration tax is reduced by two thirds simply due to the start stop function. I obviously think for that reason that it is great! I didnt even realise the car had it when i bought it until i drove it over to france. As i do not use the car every day it is not always available immediately due to battery voltage or one of the other ten reasons it wont work. One day it was because it was 38 degrees outside and there was too much difference in temperatures inside and out. I feel like the dreaded dp filter it is here to stay.
chrisfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 11:48   #29
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Another view is from the perspective of the pedestrian. Consider a busy city street where the lights turn red. Several cars pull up all with start stop and the engines cut out, the positive effect this has on noise pollution alone is quite significant.

The XC90 is the first car we've had with start stop, so cannot compare to other brands, maybe it is a bit keen to cut out, but this has never cause us any problem or concern, just let it get on with it.

For those who argue the system is dangerous and not able to react to sudden prods of the accelerator, then I would argue that perhaps you need to take a look at your driving style, if you are not able to foresee your next manoeuvre until a split second before you wish to make it, maybe your driving style is in fact the danger.

^^ this. If 50,000 cars in a city stop their engines for just 5 minutes each that's a lot less noise and pollution.

I really don't have a problem with it on my XC90.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2018, 14:34   #30
Fursty Ferret

I would add that if you're struggling to come to a smooth stop when the engine cuts out at about 5 mph, you will get used to it. Needs a delicate touch on the brake pedal.

As you approach a stop, squeeze ever-so-slightly harder on the pedal. The system seems to sense brake force applied and you'll notice the engine cut out promptly. At this point you can gently relax your foot as the "creep" effect disappears and you can do a smooth stop with no jerking.

I spent a month pogo-ing between having the engine cut out, then restart as I lifted my foot off the brake, to cutting out again at a stop. Doesn't happen any more and careful control lets me creep all the way down a long will without the engine restarting.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fursty Ferret For This Useful Post: