Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No more diesel then

Views : 4286

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2018, 15:15   #11
Fantastic
VOC Member

Paragraph quote from AutoExpress article...
"As well as market trends in Europe, the decision also reflects the key target market for the S60: the United States, where diesel accounts for a small percentage of sales. The new car’s global production base will be in Charleston, South Carolina."

Does this mean what it appears to say, i.e. All S60's are to be made in USA? If it is, then there's no surprise about engines as America don't build many diesel engines, apart from trucks, with "gas" prices being so cheap.

Still think there is a place for the modern, fairly clean diesel engine, especially in larger heavier vehicles. Surely a diesel achieving 40 odd mpg is better for the environment than the same with a petrol engine doing 18-20mpg.

Last edited by Fantastic; May 21st, 2018 at 15:22.
Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 15:26   #12
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantastic View Post
Surely a diesel achieving 40 odd mpg is better for the environment than the same with a petrol engine doing 18-20mpg.
A petrol engine consuming twice the fuel of a diesel??
Old May 21st, 2018, 16:00   #13
Fantastic
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
A petrol engine consuming twice the fuel of a diesel??
Yes, based on some of my experiences, eg...
Towing a trailer full of animals
LD Disco solo start stop running (diesel v V8 petrol)
Volvo S40 diesel v petrol towing caravan.

I know if 'steady away' on motorways with an egg between your right foot and the accelerator, or in a small type car, it won't be half mpg, but in a lot of cases with larger suv type vehicles, as is becoming the current trend, it will be approaching half.
Old May 21st, 2018, 16:01   #14
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
I think it is a good plan, and tbh Diesel's according to the motoring industry, 30% more likely to break down, cost far more now to service than petrol.

Drive a petrol well and you still get a very good return mpg
Ad Blue
Fuel going up and up
charged to go into towns
Tax Rates will go through the roof, including BIK
Cars were more expensive to buy originally, now they are not, but that will change again.

Although they may be clean now, what are some going to be like in 10 years time, like the current batch, although the MOT now should sort them out.

I see it atm you need to be doing 50k miles a year plus to warrant a derv.
That figure is old hat now, it was printed years ago when diesel cars cost more than petrol,
Its the other way round now.

The XC90 T6 is thousands of pounds more expensive to buy than the D5 and MPG far less, and the T8 even more expensive with limited electric range. And if you tow a trailer the Diesel is really the best option,

People are getting their knickers in a twist over this, stop panicing,

Last edited by nu11eaf; May 21st, 2018 at 16:27.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2018, 16:19   #15
Ringthane
VOC Member

I’m in a quandary now.

I ordered the D4 because the overall MPG figures were 10 MPG better overall, than the equivalent T5 (I know that is nor representative of the real world driving figures but it’s all I have to go on), but my typical driving doesn’t suit a diesel, given that I do a couple of longish drives a month, maybe two trips to the south of France a year, and the rest is driving to Waitrose and back.

Would a T5, given the above, be worse or better in terms of fuel economy.

Also, who’s to say that in five years time, The UK and the European governments turn their attention back to the issue of greater CO2 emissions (148 compared to 173 units of CO2), therefore negating my deciding to go with the T5.

It’s hard to gauge what will happen, I know, but there does seem to be a lot of hysteria around diesels. I still have until the beginning of June before the order lockdown date, so I would appreciate your thoughts. D4 or T5?
Old May 21st, 2018, 16:57   #16
Surboy

@ Ringthane, I was in the same quandary last week when I ordered my new XC60 but decided to go for the T5. I test drove the D4 version and although the engine felt quite responsive it was noisy at low speeds. In addition I am concerned about diesel engines being phased out and further penalised by the government and those factors having a negative impact on resale values. Truth is no one knows if that will be the case but overall I felt the petrol option was right for me.

One thing to take into account is that a lot of people online complain about the fuel economy of the T5 engine but I guess you’re getting a lot more HP, faster acceleration and a smoother drive so it just depends what you’re looking for.

Last edited by Surboy; May 21st, 2018 at 17:00.
Surboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Surboy For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2018, 17:04   #17
ukden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
I’m in a quandary now.

I ordered the D4 because the overall MPG figures were 10 MPG better overall, than the equivalent T5 (I know that is nor representative of the real world driving figures but it’s all I have to go on), but my typical driving doesn’t suit a diesel, given that I do a couple of longish drives a month, maybe two trips to the south of France a year, and the rest is driving to Waitrose and back.

Would a T5, given the above, be worse or better in terms of fuel economy.

Also, who’s to say that in five years time, The UK and the European governments turn their attention back to the issue of greater CO2 emissions (148 compared to 173 units of CO2), therefore negating my deciding to go with the T5.

It’s hard to gauge what will happen, I know, but there does seem to be a lot of hysteria around diesels. I still have until the beginning of June before the order lockdown date, so I would appreciate your thoughts. D4 or T5?
I would expect you to get at least 10 Mpg more from the D4 compared with a T5.
The only problem with a diesel being used only for short runs is the DPF will not regenerate, however you say you are doing a couple of longish runs per month, so that should not be a problem.
The diesel is a definite bonus on your couple of long trips to the south of France because of the lower cost of diesel in France.

I am getting around 45 mpg from my D4 in general use, which for me are trips of between 6 and 25 miles. On some journeys when the conditions have been suitable (i.e. 50-60 mph) I have often exceeded 50 mpg.

Towing a caravan (1550 Kg) at 60 mph on motorways I get 28 mpg. The last petrol car I towed with was a 110 HP Fiat Tipo 1.8 ie, that would only manage 18 mpg towing a much smaller and lighter caravan (900 Kg).

Previously: MY2018 XC60 Momentum D4 Auto, Winter Pack, Volvo On Call, Rear camera, Electric deployable towbar, Tempa spare wheel.
ukden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ukden For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2018, 17:18   #18
andyg
S80 D3 Geartonic 2013

Default Maybe sit out the fuss for a year.... or three?

Politicians are pretty much incapable of getting policy correct on this issue. They are more interested in splashing around meaningless headline-grabbing announcements than listening to the experts. Politicians don't like experts because they tend to tell them the truth. For example... But Mr Gove, even you cannot change the fundamental laws of physics that govern the known universe!

There are loads of reasons why the diesel engine will be around for a long time yet. But based upon the Government's recent confusing and contradictory announcements I can understand why many private buyers will not want to buy a new vehicle with a diesel engine right now. Despite the fact that for larger estate cars and full size SUVs, plus anyone who wants to tow a trailer, diesel remains the only real-world option.

I reckon the best thing to do right now is sit out the fuss for a few years. Either keep running your older Euro 4/5 diesel for longer than you might otherwise have done (which is what I am doing), or take out a personal contract purchase (PCP) on a brand new diesel car. With a term of 3 or 4 years it is the manufacturers' finance company that is taking the risk on the future value of the car, not you. After all, that value seems to be at the whim of headline-grabbing politicians, not the actual experts!
2000s: 1 x S60 diesel. 1 x S80 diesel.
2010s: 1 x S80 diesel.
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andyg For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2018, 17:22   #19
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantastic View Post
Does this mean what it appears to say, i.e. All S60's are to be made in USA? If it is, then there's no surprise about engines as America don't build many diesel engines, apart from trucks, with "gas" prices being so cheap.
You’re on the right track here.. Same with S90 and why they transferred the production to China- Europe is traditionally buying Volvo station wagons and SUVs- sedans’ sales are a statistical error compared to wagon and XC line sales.. With sedans they primary target North America and China- hence the petrol engines.. BTW, last I checked (2017 figures..) Volvo sales in Europe were nearly 80% diesel..
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 17:33   #20
MaDProFF
Master Member

@nu11eaf

That figure is not old hat at all, it is only in the last year or so that Manufactures are selling diesel's far cheaper, and doing better deals on them, and that is only to screw every possible pony out of something before it is banned. (that might be 10 years earlier too) Although PCP is an option but the residual prices are pretty poor as that is where the risk is.

And once again I stress my figures are based on everything not just MPG.

It is a bit of a gamble, and I agree if you are towing constantly, or large loads, so Vans although even VW had bought in a petrol transporter again.

it is easier to get more mpg from any style of driving in a diesel, but drive a petrol engine correctly even an AMG 380 BHP like mine I can still return up to 38.6 on a round trip driving at a reasonable pace faster than most traffic on the motorway, and just with general traffic on A / B Roads.

In the Real world most people only do like 12k miles a yr and a lot of that is just short journeys.

I again add, yes now they might be great for 1 or 2 even 3 years from new, it is when they are 10 years etc. if everyone who owned a diesel actually thrashed every now and again they would run a lot cleaner, same as the Government should subsidise V power or supreme diesel as that runs a lot cleaner too, inside of ripping us right off over cleaner fuel.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote