Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1966 Girling Front Rotors

Views : 661

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2022, 14:25   #1
Splinelube

Default 1966 Girling Front Rotors

Hello,
Can I assume that my 1966 122S has the three pot "piston" Girling brake rotors and single brake fluid lines?
Am having a devil of a time finding a rebuild shop stateside and the new ones ordered were machined poorly and could not be installed.
This is a real pain in the neck as a few years past this was never an issue. The rotors were purchased from a well known international source and apparently not an unusual/unheard of problem.
FINALLY: if one rotors is bad is it really necessary to replace both as I have been informed more than once. Appreciate your help.
Splinelube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2022, 14:41   #2
Volvo_133
VOC member

Default brakes

I had a 66 122S and can confirm it had single circuit, 3 piston calipers.
Changing 1 disc/rotor only, may cause the car to pull to 1 side when braking. This is the reasoning behind replacing them in pairs. Also fit new pads.
If you replace 1 only, Be aware the pads will not be "bedded in".
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2022, 16:36   #3
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

SL;

I agree if nothing has been been changed, a '66 122 likely has 3 Piston Girling Calipers, but assuming is never a good way to proceed, especially on a half century old car where one is not certain about previous work, and when verifying what you have is as simple as a glance under the hood (to see and check that you still have the oe single braking sys and that it hasn't been changed), then by also having a glance under the front wheels (or even simply through the holes in the wheels) to see the Calipers...OK...I can identify them with a quick glance, where others may not be able to, but have a look at them pictured at link below, and you will be able too also...there they are shown dirty, and clean...take your pick...!

If quality rebuilt Girling Calipers are no longer available (and I recommend staying away from the chinas**t nonames, see link!), and you were a capable mechanic, you could rebuild them yourself, prerequisite being the Pistons are free to move (and therefore able to be removed to allow the process!)...

Tip: Do not remove Calipers from the car thinking that you will apply the common tip of "using shop-air will push pistons out"...if pistons are at all sluggish or worse, the measly ~100PSI of shop air will likely be insufficient to move them! Instead, use the significantly higher and almost irresistible force of the car's hydraulic braking system to get them moving in preparation for rebuilding...remove Pads and substitute strategic sized wooden blocks to allow this...and remember, the first piston to fully come out, and this process is DONE, as you will no longer be able to make pressure in the system to move the others, which are even more difficult to move...BEWARE!

I have recently added a detailed documentation of such a process (the reassembly is not yet added) but I suggest you have a look...I will be using 316SS 54 and 38mm pistons at time of reassembly, and I feel pretty good about it...! The system will subsequently be filled and operated with DOT5 fluid.

See: http://www.sw-em.com/Girling%203%20P...%20Rebuild.htm

Cheers

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Dec 1st, 2022 at 16:38.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2022, 19:09   #4
Splinelube

Thanks Volvo 123 And Ron for the fast response. Your comments echo what I have been told as "replace one or both". Trying to save a buck. Ron I would never attempt to do a rebuild but will check your site, you do not say what the difference between a one line and dual line brake system looks like or what to look for but my masrer cylinder looks to be pretty simple so assume it is a one line system Regards, Russ
Old Dec 1st, 2022, 19:33   #5
Volvo_133
VOC member

Default brakes

Hi Russ,
If your brake master cylinder has only 1 pipe leaving and is mounted alongside your clutch master cylinder it is a fairly safe bet it is single circuit only.
If the brake master cylinder is mounted on the other side of the engine bay, a 2 circuit system.
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2022, 19:35   #6
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Russ;

Earlier chassis had a single hydraulic brake system, easily identified by the single line departing Master Cyl. Later dual systems in Amazons had two lines departing MC, additional plumbing, but still only 3 piston Calipers as an interim front/rear split systems on some late 122s. True 4 piston, dual sys Calipers, I believe were never fitted to Amazons by the factory AFAIK.

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2022, 22:14   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

69-70 131's had the 4 pot calipers as a true dual line system like the 140 and 240
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2022, 23:03   #8
Splinelube

Thanks Ron, That clears any doubts I had. Russ
Old Dec 2nd, 2022, 12:52   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

As said your '66 should be single circuit with 3 pot calipers. Not to confuse things, The very last B18 Amazons imported to the USA had a hybrid single/dual brake system with a hard to find dual master cylinder. No servo. This was USA market only to get round the regulations.
I'd suggest someone like Mike Dudek of iRoll motors for your brake parts. Calipers are available new now rather than exchange and discs are much cheaper now they are available as 1 piece items rather than the original ones where the disc was shrunk to the hub. Saving is around 50% so 2 for the price of one.
https://www.irollmotors.com/
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote