Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V40 XC 2.0 D2 engine cutting out intermittently

Views : 3401

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 19th, 2019, 19:56   #11
volvo for ever
Premier Member

my understanding this correct it can cut out and it happened too me 2 days ago .if in wrong gear or low revs car can cut out
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2019, 17:19   #12
julianps
Master Member

I was discussing a similar problem with my dealer earlier in the month and he shared a bulletin with me where Volvo states emphatically this "stalling" is not a Stop/Start system fault - the cutting out is the system operating to save the DMF from destruction. If the management system senses a stall (vehicle in the wrong gear, etc) it will, at the first chance, stop the engine.

How the system handles it from there depends on whether the driver's foot is on the clutch and whether the vehicle is moving not stationary. Volvo says although this may feel like the Stop/Start system failure, it isn't. That it is almost always a driver error.
Quote:
Q; how many posters have this issue with automatic versus manual vehicles?

I'll bet Zero.
However there's a complication.

If the vehicle cuts out on you, place the gearbox into neutral, release the clutch, then put your foot under the clutch-pedal then pull upwards. If the pedal flicks upwards then the issue almost certainly lies with a damaged DMF - where the failing flywheel is dragging the clutch and causing the system to sense a stall.

Just had my DMF/clutch/slave changed for the second time in 25,000 miles.

Volvo apparently offers dealer warranty support on DMF till 2021.
julianps is offline   Reply With Quote