Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60: Towbar mounted bike carriers

Views : 2912

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 18th, 2015, 07:21   #1
dty

Default XC60: Towbar mounted bike carriers

Folks,

Does anyone have any specific experience/recommendations for a towbar mounter carrier for 4 bikes, please? Ideally one that tilts so I can still get into the boot.

Thanks!
dty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2015, 08:07   #2
HeliTV

I got the Thule 3+1 bike rack for my xc90.. Tilts so you can get into the boot as well.
Not cheap but good quality. Haven't got round to putting a towbar on the sc60 yet...
HeliTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2015, 10:54   #3
andymcp
Premier Member

I've got the Thule 3 + 1 carrier as well, worth the money, it's so much sturdier that much of the competition. We were going to buy a cheaper one until we got speaking to a family who always have a carrier on their towbar - the I had been through 4 cheaper models before finally stumping up for the Thule, which according to them was in a different league when it came to build quality. They still have it 4 years on (and ours is still going strong after 4 years too), so they seem to have been right.

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2015, 12:42   #4
Gilesme

I have a 10 year old Thule EuroClassic - cost about £400 at the time, but feels pretty bomb-proof !

I would go Thule again, or possibly Atera (instead of tilting, theirs slides out like a kitchen drawer).

As an avid reader of AutoExpress, you get 5% off from here:

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/AUTOEXPRESS
Gilesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2015, 20:48   #5
Pitvar

I've bought the Altera with the 4th bike adapter as it was lighter for SWMBO to take on and off the car when out with the kids and was about the same cost as a Thule. Really solid feeling rack off the car and the 4th bike adapter went on well. I like the built in light board and electrics - just need an XC60 to try it on now...
Pitvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2015, 21:10   #6
kimball808

I bought the volvo 3+1, still made by thule but at the time it was a fraction of the thule price...still amazes me that you can load four bikes on it, and it is all resting on something the size if a golf ball, yet rock solid...well worth the money
kimball808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2015, 21:17   #7
Waggatron

I'm just back from a week in the Scottish Borders where I used my Atera Strada DL bike carrier for the first time to take the families four bikes.

Works very well. Light and easy to fit. Very sturdy and I really like how it slides out the way to allow boot access. Sat quite happily on the motorway and didn't seem to effect the handling around the flowing Border roads.

I carried the bikes on the roof on my previous XC60 but do prefer them out back. It's quieter and doesn't hit the fuel economy anything like it did with them on the roof (oh and no danger of ripping them off on a low carpark barrier...which I've done before!).

You've just got to be mindful you're about a meter longer.

I got mine from roofbox.co.uk. Great price, swift delivery and if you don't get on with it you can swap it for a different one (they do Thule too).
Waggatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2015, 01:56   #8
inego

Another fan of the Thule G6 3+1. Expensive, but easy to use once you work it out. The tilt is fantastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1404.jpg (22.8 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1402.jpg (23.8 KB, 73 views)
Old Apr 19th, 2015, 20:17   #9
dty

Thanks folks.

The Volvo one looks like it's just a rebranded Thule G6. I can't find any pricing on the Volvo one (in fact, it took me 20 minutes just to find it on their ridiculous web site), but I can't imagine it'll be cheaper than just buying a Thule.

I like the look of the Thule VeloCompact.

Will def checkout the Atera ones too. But Thule have the advantage of showing theirs mounted on an XC60 on their website. :-)

Cheers!
dty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2015, 22:58   #10
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dty View Post
Thanks folks.
The Volvo one looks like it's just a rebranded Thule G6. I can't find any pricing on the Volvo one (in fact, it took me 20 minutes just to find it on their ridiculous web site), but I can't imagine it'll be cheaper than just buying a Thule.
I like the look of the Thule VeloCompact.
Will def checkout the Atera ones too. But Thule have the advantage of showing theirs mounted on an XC60 on their website. :-)
Cheers!
The Volvo "Branded" one is £475 towards the end of the latest XC60 MY16 price list on the page marked Accessories (Exterior)