Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 Turbo Intercooler estate for sale in Coventry...beware!

Views : 4543

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 18:46   #1
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Default 740 Turbo Intercooler estate for sale in Coventry...beware!

Hi all,
As you may have read in my previous post, last month I placed a £200 deposit on a 1990 740 TI estate being sold by a dealer in Coventry, after being assured that it had "no issues", "drives fantastic", and "fires off the key first time". He said for the asking price it would come with a full MOT, hence me putting a deposit down.

I arrived after a lengthy train and cab journey (I live in Dorset!) To find the car was an utter shed, not at all as described, had a blown head gasket, no coolant in it, various sensors missing, disconnected vacuum pipes with nails and bolts shoved into them to blank them off, no PCV vent hose or flame trap, a wooden bung shoved into the intake bellows where the PCV normally vents to, oil literally dripping from the (faulty) turbo, barely any oil in the car, damage to the bottom of the dash, a smashed handbrake surround, the centre console of the dash damaged and the stereo and equaliser hanging out, and found on a brief test drive that the engine had horrendous valve train noise, the turbo pulsed rather than engaging (making the car kangaroo embarrassingly), it would only go into second gear with extreme force, and the overdrive didn't work at all. To add to this, the tailgate wouldn't shut properly and initially the car wouldn't start at all, without initially needing more fuel (ie in tank pump shot) and then jump starting (battery shot).

Of course, I rejected the car. I didn't trust it to get me home, and it wasn't at all as described.

The dealer at the time was contrite, apologised and assured me that he would return my deposit by bank transfer as soon as possible.

Predictably, this didn't happen, so I called him today to see how things were progressing. First he flatly denied that he was himself (despite having the same name, phone number, business name and address when questioned on it!) Then denied ever having met me, then denied assuring me that my deposit would be returned, then denied that anything was wrong with the car, then blamed ME for him having to spend £400 on getting it through its MOT (somehow, with a NSF tyre that was bald as a coot!) before I came to have a look at it, and told me that because I rejected the car after he had had it MOTd, he now couldn't find anyone to buy it at the £2k asking price, and said I'd inconvenienced him massively!

I thought he had never met me...?

Anyway, just a word of warning to anyone tempted to go to view the car...it's not worth your time. Gerry of Gerry's Cars & Vans (also previously known as Park Cars and Carz & Vanz) is not someone I would wish on anyone as a car vendor...caveat emptor.
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 20:22   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

My wife and her dad went and looked at a 2006 Honda Civic, I told them not to go without me (none of this would have happened if they had have listened). They went and looked at it and put a deposit down. We went to collect it a week later 2 hours from home. We got there and I said let me look at it before you buy it, I could see the floor underneath the car was rotten above the rear beam, rear beam bushes knackered, brake discs were all pitted and heavily scored, battery was completely flat and the fuel was as low as possible in the red! I said don't buy it but unfortunately while I was looking at the car they paid for it!!!

I instantly had a bad feeling about the car before even looking at it and even more so about the guy selling it.

We went to the petrol station (luckily it was less than a mile away, then got on the motorway and within 5 mins there was a massive bang and what looked to be smoke out of the back. We pulled over, waited 2 hours to be recovered and got taken back to the garage. We left the car there and my father in law drove us all home.

It turned out it was just the metal engine undertray had dropped down, the recovery driver told us that in the area the garage was renowned for selling dodgy cars! One customer they refused to refund he ended up driving the car through their gates to get his money back!

They said we could have a refund, then they denied ever saying it once we asked for it on paper. They then said they would pay for it to be inspected by an independent garage (the same one that just gave it an MOT with no advisories even though it had several fail points). The garage found it was the undertray and secured (probably bodged it) back on.

However at this point my wife had been shaken up by the whole ordeal and did not want the car back and wanted a full refund.

I didn't deal with this side of things but my father in law went to citizens advice and filled out the relevant paper work with the credit card company to get the money back. It had to go through several stages but the garage tried throwing up obstacles at every point to try and stop us/drag it out. They even sent a letter out saying they were charging us £13 a day for storing the car on their property, we didn't put it on their property as they were shut, so they did. They also sent a letter saying they had CCTV footage of us driving the car back and it was never recovered (we had the paperwork from the recovery company plus photos I had taken so that shut them up straight away).

In the end the day before it was all set to go to court they agreed to send us a full refund. Lucky for them as we were going to take them for everything we had spent including postage for all of the letters we had to send as recorded delivery as they were lying saying they had never received any of it. They obviously realised they didn't have a leg to stand on and gave in.

So it can be done but it will take time and patience plus a lot of paperwork. You should talk to your bank straight away about how to get the money back.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 21:54   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Sounds like he talked himself into a corner Phil!

I can't see how it would pass the emissions test in the MoT if the head gasket was shot either.

It's a real shame you didn't take photos of how bad the car was when you were there, it would help to prove your case in court for your deposit to be returned, your expenses for going to collect a totally misrepresented car and anything else you're out of pocket for.

Didn't you say your other half went with you to collect it? You have an eye witness in that case not only to the state of the car but to the fact matey promised you your deposit back as well.

Sue the eejit from ****hole to breakfast time!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 23:22   #4
XCR
Master Member

Seems you are one of many.
https://www.facebook.com/Dont-Buy-Ca...3744937573127/

Lots of good info on there if you desire redress.

Last edited by XCR; Jan 3rd, 2019 at 23:26.
XCR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XCR For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 23:47   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Now i've seen that i seem to recall seeing them on "Can't pay, we'll take it away" where others have sued them for cars that weren't as they should have been!

Sue them, get a CCJ against them, wait a week and pay the £700-800 to escalate it to the High Court, a writ is issued and bailiffs then execute it and recover your dosh plus all expenses.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 00:23   #6
Ross Slaughter
No longer Volvoless

I think the fact he states in the ad that it ‘even still wheelspins!’ was always a bad sign...
That and its had 10 owners

Last edited by Ross Slaughter; Jan 4th, 2019 at 00:30.
Ross Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ross Slaughter For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 02:34   #7
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Thanks all!

I'm going to do whatever it takes to rinse the b*stard. I've been doing all I can online to warn people off the car, on FB and forums etc. The fact that the owners of the garage have been jailed for selling dangerous cars, ringers and vehicles with hooky MOTs is definitely going to help my case methinks. I literally couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the car.

He said on the phone today (after I reiterated the gigantic list of issues the car had, as opposed to the "no issues" in the advert) "if I knew you were a f*cking nerd about old Volvos, I would never have sold you the car" to which I replied "with respect, who else but a f*cking nerd about old Volvos would spend two grand on a 28yr old example of one?"...he came back with "you obviously have no understanding of what to expect when buying a 28yr old Volvo", to which I replied "hold on, am I a f*cking nerd about old Volvos or am I not? This is getting confusing!"

He talked himself around in circles for a good ten minutes and managed to say nothing. I wish I'd recorded the conversation for comedy value, he and his two jailbird accomplices appear to share one braincell between them on some sort of timeshare basis.
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 07:41   #8
TheLeeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
.........He said on the phone today................
I wouldn't even waste the phone bill talking to people like that. Just send him a letter before action, giving him 14 days to return your deposit, then if he fails to do so, issue county court proceedings against him. It's easy, and you can even do it online these days (money claim online).
The fees are recoverable against the defendant assuming you obtain judgment against him. The good news is if he ignores the summons (called a default summons) you can apply for a judgment against him without having to go to court.

It's been my experience that less than 10% of county court proceedings issued actually end up going the whole way as far as a hearing. Most people ignore the summons because they don't read the bit that says the claimant is entitled to apply for a judgment if the defendant doesn't admit or defend the claim.

A lot of people will pay as soon as you get a default judgment against them, to avoid messing up their credit rating, because any county county court judgment which remains unpaid for longer than a month after entry of judgment is added to the register of county court judgment and stays on there for 6 years.

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 13:07   #9
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeeds View Post
I wouldn't even waste the phone bill talking to people like that. Just send him a letter before action, giving him 14 days to return your deposit, then if he fails to do so, issue county court proceedings against him. It's easy, and you can even do it online these days (money claim online).
The fees are recoverable against the defendant assuming you obtain judgment against him. The good news is if he ignores the summons (called a default summons) you can apply for a judgment against him without having to go to court.

It's been my experience that less than 10% of county court proceedings issued actually end up going the whole way as far as a hearing. Most people ignore the summons because they don't read the bit that says the claimant is entitled to apply for a judgment if the defendant doesn't admit or defend the claim.

A lot of people will pay as soon as you get a default judgment against them, to avoid messing up their credit rating, because any county county court judgment which remains unpaid for longer than a month after entry of judgment is added to the register of county court judgment and stays on there for 6 years.

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome
I will do exactly that, thankyou!

It turns out that the three guys who run the garage have all been banged up over the last few years for unscrupulous motor trading...

http://www.coventry.gov.uk/info/30/t...sing_reviews/5

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cov...rs-8817499.amp

https://www.yell.com/biz/longford-pa...entry-4341899/

The plot thickens...
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 13:24   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Grrrr!!!!!

"All three men have previously traded under various trading names from a premise in Longford Road."

From the report in the first link ^^^^^

Re-written using alternative words that mean the same thing :

"All three men have previously traded under various trading names from a theory in Longford Road."

Premise as defined by the OED :

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/premise

What they really meant :

"All three men have previously traded under various trading names from a premises in Longford Road."

Premises as defined by OED :

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/premises

If the reporter can't even get things right it doesn't bode well! Why have they stopped teaching English in schools???

Rant over!

I hope you can get everything back that this car has cost you Phil, those three characters need retribution against them, one way or t'other!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: