Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LPG Cylinder Tank expiry

Views : 1446

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2019, 14:38   #1
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Default LPG Cylinder Tank expiry

I reckon I must call on 'classicswede' for this one. This question was brushed over in another thread.
I can tell you about CNG cylinder expiry, but where do we stand on LPG tanks?

I pulled two stonking great 60L LPG tanks off recently. I know for a fact they were 18 odd years old - at least. Had they been Type 3 CNG cylinders, despite being £2000-2500 each new, they'd be scrap. These LPG tanks looked solid enough, but I threw them anyway.

I've searched this, I failed to get a proper answer. What is the general rule?

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Apr 6th, 2019 at 14:43.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 20:29   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The offical status is after 10 years old the tanks should be retested.

In the UK there is no requirement for retesting and the UK body will register conversions with tanks way over ten years old.

Provided the tank looks clean there is no reason to replace

With that said tanks fitted outside exposed to grit and teh weather can rust through and be leaking within 3/4 years. I have had to replace a few tanks that have rusted through and started leaking. The factory paint on tanks is not enough for outside tanks. I always add extra rust protection
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 11:54   #3
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

I'm thinking without the magic ingredients, an LPG tank isn't all that dangerous anyway? Run with me a mo'

The main issue with CNG is that it can be wet. Hence after 10-15 years, you've a pint of water swilling in an outwardly mint looking cylinder. Also CNG tanks tend to get mounted in the salt-spray, and come caked in mud. All this conducive to decay, and I understand steel and most polymers lose their ductility with age. And we're at 3000psi. Oops.

Before anybody leaps to conclusions, I'm not recommending this: Surely Shirley, any salt-sprayed LPG tank is going to 'let-go' gradually, so it's not quite the hazard the alarmists would have us believe.

OK, don't smoke, and don't have it parked in an enclosed space at the time, but an externally mounted LPG tank, sitting in a driveway isn't all that dangerous. Without ignition, it's not 3000psi, it's 150psi ish. A can of furniture polish/brake-cleaner/lighter fluid/ WD40/whipped-cream has about that in it. You've got those in your garage/kitchen now.

The only real issue is that LPG/butane/propane etc is heavier that air so without a breeze, sits about. Methane floats up.

- WITH THE ABOVE CAVEATS - You won't smoke, sit in an enclosed space....
As long as we're thinking, it's not something to get in a 'tizz' about. Even if we wanted it to be dangerous, it can't be. I'm guessing you've seen your fair share of tired LPG tanks. By the time you get ot see them, they've near vented anyway. Am i wrong?

And does LPG come wet?

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Apr 7th, 2019 at 12:37.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 01:34   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post

And does LPG come wet?
Not usually! It has a suspended grease in it which causes your "heavy ends" to builkd up in the reducer/vapouriser but they are usualy caught by the filter or can be drained off. Other than that it's "dry" as far as i'm aware, essentially propane gas.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 11:54   #5
dingov70
Master Member

Morning all , this firm based outside Haydock on the A580 appear to perform hydraulic testing of cylinders & recertification

https://www.gas-uk.co.uk