Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Split in Drivers Seat

Views : 11115

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2012, 07:22   #1
Squirrell

Default Split in Drivers Seat

2010 Active with Marstrand Cloth / Leathery effect seats, after 26k miles I have noticed a small split about 20mm long in the leathery bit of the bottom bolster of the drivers seat (door side where you get in and out) Doesn't look like a cut, can't remember doing anything untoward, it's been looked after, not been abused, the rest of the seats all ok and heaviest person to sit on the drivers seat is 11 stone! Anyone else have any similar problems, if so any luck at the dealers getting it fixed or replaced as it's still under warrentry.
Squirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 18:59   #2
tnpali01

Default Seat Trim

I've done quite a bit of research into this area on XC90 as I found the leather seats in SE upwards seem to wear quite badly especially along seams, piping. All used examples I had a look at had some form of seat wear which I considered excessive for the age/mileage. Either Volvo leather quality doesn't seem to be as good as it used to be or XC owners were doing something to the seats.

When i've discussed this issue with dealers when looking at prospective used XC90s I was advised that the seats were often damaged by owners getting in and out therefore it was a characteristic of the model. Volvo may consider replacement under warranty if the issue is not fair wear and tear... . ie manufacturing fault or unreasonable wear for age/ mileage. Is the damage to your seat along the seam? What one persons fair wear and tear may differ to what Volvo consider though. Never got a firm assurance issue would be resolved under warranty prior to purchase though so discounted lots of cars.

If you are sure you haven't damaged the seat, i'd suggest requesting replacement, or confirm if the seat can be repaired under warranty? It's amazing what some of the smart repairers can do. find a good one and the repair may be invisible

Good luck with the dealer... keep the post updated to let us all know how you get on.

Last edited by tnpali01; Nov 21st, 2012 at 19:02.
tnpali01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 19:14   #3
paultyler1

I have a theory is that its the height of the car that is the reason the seats wear. On a "normal" car you tend to be above the seat when you get in therefore you don't slide across the seat. As the XC90 is higher people of normal stature tend to slide across the seat to get in. Probably a load of codswallop but that's my theory!
paultyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2012, 21:55   #4
judgeman

Had split in the leather-look (it's a plc vinyl) when my 90 was 4 years old. Tried to sort with dealer and Volvo Car UK, both couldn't be bothered and said its normal wear and tear. VCUK even told me as the car was over three years old it was out of manufacturers warranty and so I would need to pursue it with the dealer.

It's absolutely disgusting, I had numerous faults and got quite stressed over the whole thing.

Upshot is in my opinion as a product designer and having some experience with upholstery I would suggest that the choice of material is a very poor one. Shame I realised this after I had purchased when the drivers seat split. I foolishly believed the 90 would have been a quality product from a premium manufacturer.

Any-road-up, haven't had anything to do with main dealer since the whole shambles, and car is only touched by a very trust worthy indy who knows Volvos very well.

With the number of posts on the forum about the seats splitting I'm afraid it seems to be yet another fault that should never have happened in the volumes it appears to have.

Managed to get a set of leather seats on the forum and fitted myself in an afternoon 16 months ago, and now very happy - I don't have to look at a 3" long split in the drivers seat each time I get in and out of the car!
judgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2012, 22:22   #5
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgeman View Post
Had split in the leather-look (it's a plc vinyl) when my 90 was 4 years old. Tried to sort with dealer and Volvo Car UK, both couldn't be bothered and said its normal wear and tear. VCUK even told me as the car was over three years old it was out of manufacturers warranty and so I would need to pursue it with the dealer.

It's absolutely disgusting, I had numerous faults and got quite stressed over the whole thing.

Upshot is in my opinion as a product designer and having some experience with upholstery I would suggest that the choice of material is a very poor one. Shame I realised this after I had purchased when the drivers seat split. I foolishly believed the 90 would have been a quality product from a premium manufacturer.

Any-road-up, haven't had anything to do with main dealer since the whole shambles, and car is only touched by a very trust worthy indy who knows Volvos very well.

With the number of posts on the forum about the seats splitting I'm afraid it seems to be yet another fault that should never have happened in the volumes it appears to have.

Managed to get a set of leather seats on the forum and fitted myself in an afternoon 16 months ago, and now very happy - I don't have to look at a 3" long split in the drivers seat each time I get in and out of the car!
so you bought a vehicle knowing it had an issue with the seat? and then complained about the warranty only being 3 years (which is only 2 years manufacturers directly) on a 4 yo car?
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 18:03   #6
Pieter11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrell View Post
2010 Active with Marstrand Cloth / Leathery effect seats, after 26k miles I have noticed a small split about 20mm long in the leathery bit of the bottom bolster of the drivers seat (door side where you get in and out) Doesn't look like a cut, can't remember doing anything untoward, it's been looked after, not been abused, the rest of the seats all ok and heaviest person to sit on the drivers seat is 11 stone! Anyone else have any similar problems, if so any luck at the dealers getting it fixed or replaced as it's still under warrentry.
I have a 59 Active and had the exact same problem - I went to the dealer and when I said there was a split in the seat they said 'driver's side?' as it must be a known fault. All they did was take a photo to send to Volvo and then they arranged a time to fix it - no questions asked.
Pieter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 18:52   #7
berkshire

Squirrell, I have a 2010 Active which had exactly the same problem as you describe at about 30,000 miles. Dealer replaced seat cover under warranty. The research I did then about 9 months ago showed that the cracking is fairly common and a known issue. Some, those out of warranty I expect, have been told it is "wear and tear". As yours is still under warranty I would get down to the dealer.
berkshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 16:23   #8
CapitalJambo

Hmm funnily enough I've just noticed exactly the same thing on my 59 Plate Active, was racking my brain trying to think when I'd done it (but was sure I hadn't ripped it), sods law the warranty is out... Hey ho, still love the car!
CapitalJambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 19:51   #9
Measure Up

It is a very common problem, our '10' plate had the seat base cover replaced at 21000 miles. It doesn't tear, just splits. Volvo are well aware of the problem but don't seem too bothered by it. Just make sure if you have an Active you check the o/s bolster of the drivers seat before the warranty runs out!!
Measure Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 20:53   #10
gray 3

Default Drivers Seat

I have a 59 Active 39,000 Miles and had the exact same problem - I went to the dealer to day about bits and bobs when I said can you look at a split in the Drivers seat and a split in the door rubber they said we will look under Warranty as it will be 3 years end of the month. Had a phone call Yes all going to be fixed under the Warranty.
Is the seat PVC or Leather ? And whats the best cleaner to stop this and to keep it soft.
Thanks
Gray 3
gray 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gray 3 For This Useful Post: