Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ATF: AW-1 vs JWS 3324

Views : 2686

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 15th, 2022, 13:44   #1
bananarama

Default ATF: AW-1 vs JWS 3324

Westway Lubricants have AW-1 and JWS 3324 but what's the difference? I'm wondering if they're the same. I've emailed them but wondering if you guys have come across this already?

Also, Volvo quoted me £7.20 for part #30713220; a small aluminium washer!
bananarama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 11:00   #2
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Looking at the history of automatic transmission fluids for Aisin Warner gearboxes, it looks like the first standard encountered on Volvo cars was JWS 3309. As Aisin Warner introduced transmissions with increased numbers of gears they needed to reduce the viscosity of the fluid used and introduced JWS 3324. Both these fluids conformed to their overall transmission fluid spec AW-1 but when they put in the lower viscous oil they started to refer to it by the AW-1 overall spec nomenclature. So in answer to your question, JWS 33324 is an AW-1 spec oil but is for use in cars with more than 5 gears. Older boxes with less gears use JWS 3309 which, while it is an AW-1 oil, is not referred to as such to avoid the possibility of wrongly using the thinner oil in the earlier boxes.
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 11:23   #3
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
Looking at the history of automatic transmission fluids for Aisin Warner gearboxes, it looks like the first standard encountered on Volvo cars was JWS 3309. As Aisin Warner introduced transmissions with increased numbers of gears they needed to reduce the viscosity of the fluid used and introduced JWS 3324. Both these fluids conformed to their overall transmission fluid spec AW-1 but when they put in the lower viscous oil they started to refer to it by the AW-1 overall spec nomenclature. So in answer to your question, JWS 33324 is an AW-1 spec oil but is for use in cars with more than 5 gears. Older boxes with less gears use JWS 3309 which, while it is an AW-1 oil, is not referred to as such to avoid the possibility of wrongly using the thinner oil in the earlier boxes.
My understanding is that the TF80-SC which was the first 6 speed auto was initially released with 3309. This has caused quite considerable confusion for owners of change over models (2010-2011 predominantly). The box was changed in 2010/2011 with the previous specified 3309 referred to as ‘gen 1’ and the later models referred to as Gen 2.

The Gen 2 models were sealed for life and came with AW1 which has a lower viscosity and hence was determined sealed for life (under degradation the viscosity remains within 3309 parameters).

In conclusion (and it’s a bit of a minefield) I would stick with AW1 as it’s an Aisin Warner box and AW specify AW1.

I use Volvo fluid myself. I wont lie, it is quite expensive. I do this because the alternatives I saw had a disclaimer to say something along the lines of ‘formulated to meet AW1 spec but not approved to AW1.

As it’s another £100 to use Volvo I stayed with them (I am about to do the second change now so that’s £200 additional cost in 200,000 miles (as next change will be 200k for me.

In reality if you go with a sound and approved supplier such as smith and Allen, westway lubricants or Granville I would be pretty sure of no issues.

I will stick to AW1 myself from Volvo and pay the extra but each to their own.

Just to add owners of 2010-2012 should check with Volvo what fluid was initially put in there and replace with that. It appears that 3309/3324 are both suitable fluids for earlier boxes - based on my research and I am not a mechanic and don’t KNOW for a fact but that 3309 and 3324 can not be moxed. So it’s important given that you won’t get all the fluid out.

Last edited by XC90Mk1; Jun 16th, 2022 at 11:25.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 14:16   #4
bananarama

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 18:36   #5
bananarama

Doh! Didn't realise I didn't have a 17 hex

Only managed to drop just over 900ml via the 40 torx. Seems like Mr Volvo has never done an oil change so this is probably 110k old oil; it smells VERY old. Despite this, the box seems to work reasonably well, but bare in mind I have zero autobox experience. I'm curious to see what differences there will be as the oil becomes newer, especially in terms of sound.

The cherry on top: the £12.42 for the o-ring and aluminium washer. Volvo must be low on cash...

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Last edited by bananarama; Jun 18th, 2022 at 20:26.
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 16:36   #6
MotorDiagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananarama View Post
Westway Lubricants have AW-1 and JWS 3324 but what's the difference? I'm wondering if they're the same. I've emailed them but wondering if you guys have come across this already?

Also, Volvo quoted me £7.20 for part #30713220; a small aluminium washer!

Based on my experience, I mistakenly used the wrong oil (JWS 3309) in my Volvo S60 2011. I purchased 12 liters from eBay based on the seller's suggestion, which turned out to be incorrect. After changing the oil three times, using 4 liters each time and it was partial change, I realized that only about 70% of the oil had been replaced. Subsequently, I noticed a significant increase in fuel consumption, rising by 20% from 40 mpg to 35 mpg.

Upon further investigation using VIDA, I discovered that my gearbox requires AW1 oil, previously known as JWS 3324. I obtained the correct oil from Westway Oils and performed a full flush. Here's the detailed process for a full oil replacement, i suggest you to buy 20 liters in advance :

1.Remove one of the hoses from the radiator which drives oil back to gearbox and connect a spare 2.transparent hose, which will lead to an empty bottle. This allows for clear visibility of any bubbles flowing out.
3.Remove the bottom bolt from the gearbox to drain all the oil.
4.Replace the Oring on the bolt and put the bolt back, then add 4 liters of new oil ( can be added 5 liters) .
5.Start the engine and observe oil coming out from the hose.
6.Shift gears every 2 seconds (parking, drive, reverse) until bubbles appear.
7.Turn off the engine, add 2 liters more ( can be added 3 liters for better oil flush), then repeat the procedure only in parking mode.
8.repeat the procedure with another 2 liters in parking mode again.
9.Finally, add another 4 liters of oil.
10.Start the engine and and shift the gears periodically, wait until the oil reaches 55 degrees Celsius in Vida Dice and adjust the oil level accordingly.
11.Reset the oil counter in Vida Dice.

It's crucial to note that a full oil change must be performed if JWS 3309 was mixed with AW1 (JWS 3324) because JWS 3309 is mineral and AW1 is synthetic. Following these steps, your car will operate smoothly. If you require more detailed instructions, I'm happy to provide them.

Last edited by MotorDiagnostic; Apr 17th, 2024 at 16:58.
MotorDiagnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 21:50   #7
Rcdean

Which hose the top one or the bottom one?

Cheers
Rcdean is offline   Reply With Quote