Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 Oil residue in inlet manifold

Views : 5310

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2017, 21:37   #1
AdventureDriver

Default D5 Oil residue in inlet manifold

On my CX90 2004 D5 with 240.000 km I found a huge oil residue buildup in the inlet manifold and the hose and aluminium tube before that. The source of the oil is from exhaust gas entering the inlet air in the aluminium tube.
I don't know where those exhaust gasses comes from (waste gate? environmental feed of exhaust gasses back into inlet? Sump breather?)

Any ideas what the cause of this is?

AdventureDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 23:43   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

It's from the EGR or possibly leaking turbo seals.
I've no idea how that compares with a perfectly running engine though as people don't really open that up.

What running issues are you having?
Any live data?
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 23:47   #3
dingov70
Master Member

Evening there The deposits are caused by the engine drawing partially burnt exhaust into the inlet manifold via the exhaust gas recirculating valve ( EGR ) .

It is not a fault ( as such ) but a stupid idea aimed at cleaning up exhaust emissions ( not a bad idea ) . On engines driven slowly & on short journeys the effects are far worse , literally cutting off air flow due the gunk build up in the inlet ports .

Careful cleaning to remove the mess without scratching the metal below is easily done & pays huge dividends
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 14:01   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

+1 ^^^^^ what he said.

Strip it, clean it, reassemble and it will probably feel a different car. The looks normal to me for a car with that mileage. The deposits are a combination of oil leaking past the turbo seals and soot from the EGR system - again completely normal.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 22:15   #5
Henners29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post
Evening there The deposits are caused by the engine drawing partially burnt exhaust into the inlet manifold via the exhaust gas recirculating valve ( EGR ) .

It is not a fault ( as such ) but a stupid idea aimed at cleaning up exhaust emissions ( not a bad idea ) . On engines driven slowly & on short journeys the effects are far worse , literally cutting off air flow due the gunk build up in the inlet ports .

Careful cleaning to remove the mess without scratching the metal below is easily done & pays huge dividends

Just what I’m doing now.. what’s the best way to clean this!

I’m worried I’ve got car. Cleaner in there a bit. So trying to carefully scrape out anything that looks damp in case it’s got carb cleaner in. As worried there’ll be a big old knock when I fire it up

Is there a way of cleaning out people?
What about bits that drop down? Will they burn off?
Henners29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 23:24   #6
huron
Master Member

Vaccum it out if the wife will let you
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 01:04   #7
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Is there a way of cleaning out people?...

Well, colonic is one...

Worry more about ensuring there is no loose matter hanging around to get in places you dont want it. Carb cleaner evaporates fast, and the amount released from saturated deposits will barely affect anything. Squirt it into intake then try and start, you might get a reaction, but damp deposits arent a real concern.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 21:55   #8
osullivant

I used a Liqui Molly cleaner on my Saab and it worked a treat, it consists of a long straw like tube attached to an aerosol, which is fed into the manifold whilst the engine is running...
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d5 engine, inlet, oil, residue