Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Screeching noise XC60

Views : 9636

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2017, 16:34   #11
Deadloak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick440 View Post
Im sort of airing to it being a wheel brearing noise, as it seams more road speed than engine rpm releted.
Only lasts a short while then stops and only seams to be from a cold start.
Mine has done it twice now.
Monday, was the worst one and started after about a mile and lasted for probably half a mile down the road.
Today i noticed it again, diffrent road but again after about a mile but this time was not a pronounced as it was on Monday.

Car has done aproximatly 10,000 miles
Mine is about the same mileage, but has be doing it on and off (mornings only - on moist mornings) for the last 2 months.
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 16:50   #12
Maverick440

Car booked into dealer on the 30th for diagnosis.
Happened again today exactly the same after one mile and lasted about two minutes.
Defiantly rotational / road speed related and stops immediately any break pressure is applied so I'm thinking its a break pad issue.
Old Oct 15th, 2017, 11:05   #13
844PHW
Master Member

Just a thought, but my xc60 once had a problem where for a few seconds under particular circumstances there was a very metallic screeching noise from somewhere underneath. It turned out to be the underbody heatshield vibrating in resonance to certain circumstances. A couple of the fasteners needing tightening and the problem went away.
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 11:26   #14
Deadloak

I drove the technician in the car this morning, although it only sounded mildly like the noise (typical). He took is straight into the shop and replaced the nearside and offside parts as fro the XC60 fix (I'll post the specifics once the manager has emailed them). I'll wait a few days to ensure this is the definative fix before doing so. Fingers crossed as the technician said the offside was indeed corroded, hence the noise.
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 13:52   #15
Maverick440

Be interesting to know as typically mine has not made a noise the past few days.
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 12:42   #16
Deadloak

Well this seems to have fixed it. Sorry but due to the bad communication from Volvo(never returning calls, even call backs). All I can suggest is that you get your technicians to ring Snows Winchester directly to get the information. Silly as a simple return of the information would reduce their call numbers. Not very customer focused or efficient.
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 13:51   #17
Maverick440

Thanks for the information, mine goes in on Monday so it's usefully to be able to pass on that info in case that draw a blank
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 22:16   #18
Benjybobs

Mine is doing this exact same thing. Last two mornings when cold. For a few miles then stops. Speed related but not engine speed. Ill be very interested to learn what it is so I can tell Volvo as right now i cant reproduce it on demand.

Mines a v60 d4 with about 11,000 miles manual

Please update this when its figured out!
Benjybobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 23:16   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick440 View Post
My XC60 has just developed a very intermittent screeching noise. Appears to be coming from the front right hand side and can be heard from the outside of the car when driving.
Only seams to appear after the first two miles from a cold start. If you Barack of the gas when it starts and break gently the noise stops.
Found this video on YouTube of the exact same noise.
Any one any ideas?
https://youtu.be/UFz6-wE2vNw
what this is .... There is a rubber seal on the back of the wheel bearing , you can see it when you look at it behind the hub . the whole seal is rotating in the housing instead of remaining still , a little too much grip around the driveshaft .. just trickle some locktite in the join between seal and housing , apply it with a pointed rod or similar ...
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 23:23   #20
Maverick440

I won't disagree with you on this diagnosis, however as she's still under warranty I think it's up the Volvo (Dealer) to sort out.