Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 30,000 miles

Views : 527

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2017, 08:44   #1
FauxSven

Default V90 30,000 miles

Hello to all. Just a quick note to update you on the progress of my D4 inscription V90 after 9 months of ownership and 30,000 miles.
Let's start with the bad bits. Surprisingly (and no doubt I am about to jinx myself) nothing really to report. No real issues with Sensus, it once went off and rebooted no real drama, as it's a computer and they do that from time to time. My arm rest in the back had a major rattle from the cup holder, Riverside Volvo replaced it at first service, it still rattles, so it is a design flaw. Anyone else got this problem? As we should all feed things like this back to make the cars better. I think it is down to the plastic used.
Other than that all good. I am still on the first set of tyres, I had a nail removed at 16k from the front right, all 4 still have lots of life - just wonder what the expectancy is on tyre mileage these days? I am aiming for 50k, let's see... I am picking up a wheel bearing noise on certain road surfaces more often than not on the last mile of my journey home. It's an off camber, unloaded section of road on the right front. I will report it at second service, unless it gets really 'whiny' - is that a word? If it does I will take it in early for fixing.
Only other gripe is the quality of the leather on the drivers seat. I am not sure it will be so good in another 30k. I am not enormous (14 stone) so not a skinny lad, but I would expect the seat to keep its shape and form for longer on the base. Plus the leather marks real easy. Don't get me wrong it is sublimely comfortable and soft - it's just maybe too soft - consumers hey. Maybe a halfway house between normal and nappa or whatever they choose to call it...
So other than those gripes, all is good. The car returns 59 mpg on a run, when empty around 54 mpg with the family in and fully loaded. Both a mix of enthusiastic speeds and traffic conditions. This is based on Sensus reading so I don't know how accurate it is and I am not inclined to check it. It seems OK.
Safety and Comfort Tech is good I am not sure how I will now drive without it. One gripe when pulling around things the bloody beeping and flashing is a bit wearing... Then when a Fox ran across the road in front of me and missed the front end by inches not a peep or flash. Bah! Just how big an animal is large animal detection designed for? Elephant/Blue Whale? Having said this active cruise and pilot assist are good, I can often fulfil a long journey under no stress and let the car get on with it.
Now it's getting dark again on an evening the headlights are reminding me just how good they are, with the active full beam working a treat. I have suffered for years with sub standard German crappy lights, being able to see at night is so refreshing...
In terms of drive I really enjoy the whole experience, it's fun to drive, involving and you can throw it around when you need to, yes it is a big car and you must pick your spots in car parks, but, it's as much fun to drive (if not more) in my opinion as a previous 5 series. It's great not having your teeth smashed out every time you hit a pot hole or cats eye, Cunard (as it's been nicknamed) avoids all of that nonsense.
As for the passengers the kids love it lots of space, comfortable rear seats apparently, great light from panoramic roof (if you have the budget, get one). Plus now it's dark the theatre lighting works well, really well. I am on purple...
Spotify, Volvo seems to have sorted it out and the standard sound system is pretty/very good. Try watching a movie on Sensus with the sound system cranked up its pretty impressive. I do however pine for more apps. Come on Volvo. Let's have them.
So if you are reading this and thinking should I, shouldn't I. My advice is buy one. I am already planning my next one which will be the hybrid. I just need to keep saving, £60k for an estate car, maybe the price will come down by the time I am ready for it, I live in hope!!
Anyway great to see more cars on the road, I shall be sure to flash my lights next time I see you on the British highways...
FauxSven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to FauxSven For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 08:58   #2
deepsix

Smile

Thanks for the encouraging report. i did about 1500 miles driving from Hampshire up to Edinburgh and around the lowlands of Southern Scotland last week and saw only one other V90. Have yet to see another V90CC on the road which makes me think how much people are missing out on.

I'm a Hornithologist, I love exotic birds.
deepsix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deepsix For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 09:22   #3
Capt Pugwash

Good feedback indeed...I can echo some of your comments as well, I have done 28k in 10 months in my XC90 since new.
It has been reliable, comfortable, economical on motorway work (44mpg the other day on a run!)
It even gave me a smile on the bends on the’Cat & Fiddle” the other day, as the disco 5 in front of me looked like it was going to tip over, mine just lowered down the air suspension in dynamic mode and stuck like poo on a blanket to the bends as I watched the driver of the new disco 5 fighting his body roll to try and keep ahead of me... 😂
Yet again I am amazed the pirelli’s are still ok after 28k miles and also think I have a slight bearing knock on front nearside...going to get it checked by VV soon.
Am already considering my next XC90, a T5 would be ideal if it ever makes these shores!
Glad to hear the V90 is a similar experience 👍

Last edited by Capt Pugwash; Oct 21st, 2017 at 10:16.
Capt Pugwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 12:26   #4
cassell
Member since 1988

Great feedback, I have a similar car to yours and can honestly say it's the best car I've ever owned and can echo your comments. Mine is going in for it's first annual service on Wednesday with only 4000 miles on the clock!.

It was a fully-loaded demonstrator registered on 29th November 2016 and when I bought it in July this year it had covered just 645 miles, so virtually a new car. I saved around 25% off the price when it was new so I was very pleased with the deal!

The only issue I have, which is being sorted by Holdcroft Volvo on Wednesday is that the offside rear door is very slightly out of alignment (someone else on here had the same problem), other than that no problems on mine. I had a genuine Volvo electrically folding towbar fitted in August (£xxx ouch!) and they did the Sensus 2 update for me at the time.

My only other concern is that with 20" wheels, kerb damage is likely to be a constant worry, my wife has unfortunately already christened the n/s/f one slightly but I've managed to cosmetically rectify it with a good quality alloy repair kit.
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post: