Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Soot Filter driving me crazy...HELP !

Views : 123679

Replies : 276

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 02:54   #221
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz Newell View Post
I have been having this problem for over a year now.
When it first happened I had gone on holiday over 200 miles on motorway then 4 or 5 times we used car around there then on way home I give it some throttle and the 'soot filter full' came on...read up on google what to do and after approx. 30 miles it was back to normal but still went into limp mode with code on if given a foot full.
I had it into local garage after one morning it was like it couldn't breath,,wouldn't rev up anyhow they blasted the dpf out and all was well...for about 2 miles ir really went as it used to do but then into limp mode.
I took the large black pipe off that goes from top of engine to egrand it was nearly blocked solid with the dreaded gunge....I have sourced a video on you tube to clean the egr so am going to do this soon.
My car always re gens itself if I travel around 30 miles with revs at 2500-3000.
Really need to sort this but its an 07 and don't want the expensive garage bill.
I don't think the EGR will affect the DPF though. They are two different systems. The EGR should only affect Nox emissions although a completely blocked EGR will generate a fault message. Your engine may have some other fault causing the problem as the DPF doesn't normally cause a problem if the engine is running OK. Also the EGR only works at low RPM.

Roy
Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 06:48   #222
Daz Newell

cheers Roy....am gunna clean it anyhow as it cant be good for it all the gunge in it.
Its driving me mad am close to having it chopped out and re-mapped but really don't want to go that route
Daz Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 21:45   #223
The Landshark

If the intake is blocked with crud from the egr the engine won't achieve full combustion and would throw out black smoke except that the dpf is catching it.
A clogged intake will definitely cause dpf problems.
Mind you it will have to be very heavy clogging to have any effect.
The Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Landshark For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2016, 06:10   #224
Daz Newell

The black pipe that goes from egr to top of engine had only probably the gap of a 5p...that's how bad it was....
Daz Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2016, 03:07   #225
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz Newell View Post
The black pipe that goes from egr to top of engine had only probably the gap of a 5p...that's how bad it was....
If the previous post was true you wouldn't be able to block off the EGR with a metal plate as some people do.

Roy
Old May 15th, 2017, 13:57   #226
Dogtired

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhon72 View Post
And use a decent branded diesel fuel.
On the subject of which, anyone used the Shell V-Power diesel? I've had good experience with the petrol but what about the black stuff?
I have been using Shell V-Power Diesel for a number of years now in both of my diesel cars a 2005 V70 D5 185 and a 2005 Ford Mondeo 2.0 130. Initially I couldn't tell the difference but after a tank of fuel and some initial extra smoking both cars showed improved response, better fuel economy and better running. Also when performing the MOT emissions test both cars record lower emission. I have not used any other diesel since except once when the garage had run out. Normal diesel then made my Volvo feel it was lacking power. Next refill with V-Power all back to better running etc. Soot problems even with short journeys hardly ever but occasionally do do a longer run just to be sure.

So yes I would certainly recommend using Shell V-Power Diesel even over the BP Ultimate stuff which is more expensive than Shell.
Dogtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 17:09   #227
Ashe

Hey there,

I recently bought an used 2014 V40 Cross Country. It has the D3 2.0 engine and geartronic gearbox.

Thursday i drove 600km at 130kmh with no issues. Over the week end i did some short runs, and finally today (sunday) while drive to the town (road going down, -5% or so) the Soot Filter message popped up, and just after that the engine system, maintenance required system came too.

I drove back from town, which took approx. 40 minutes on a mountain road, so kinda constantly over 2k rpm.
As soon as the DPF message popped up i had like 70BHP instead of 150. I am wondering if there is any chance the regeneration process could be working, or if it just means it is either faulty or if this is a sensor issue.

Thanks in advance for your insights.
Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 19:16   #228
1969wolfie

I have been reading through this thread with interest as we are experiencing the same problem. I got my XC60 D5 175bhp drive model back from the garage yesterday after having a new steering rack fitted. On test driving the “ soot filter full “ warning comes up on the dash and the engine instantly went into limp mode. We’ve had the car for a little over four years and have not experienced any dpf issues until yesterday. When we bought the car it had done 106000 miles and in the four years we have put another 80000 miles on it with the only issue being replacing the clutch 2000 miles ago. Then having to have the garage replace the steering rack after they put the bolts back in the wrong locations. Now whilst the steering has been dodgy the car has not really been used much instead of being the main car and used daily. So I understand that the filter has probably become clogged due to lack of use but I have been out for a run in it today for over an hour hoping that this would trigger a regeneration but to no avail. So my question is if the limp mode has activated is it a main dealer regeneration only to fix or can it be triggered by a long run as we were due to go to Scotland tomorrow but due to the car issue are not going now thinking that a main dealer visit on Monday morning is needed
1969wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 20:37   #229
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969wolfie View Post
I have been reading through this thread with interest as we are experiencing the same problem. I got my XC60 D5 175bhp drive model back from the garage yesterday after having a new steering rack fitted. On test driving the “ soot filter full “ warning comes up on the dash and the engine instantly went into limp mode. We’ve had the car for a little over four years and have not experienced any dpf issues until yesterday. When we bought the car it had done 106000 miles and in the four years we have put another 80000 miles on it with the only issue being replacing the clutch 2000 miles ago. Then having to have the garage replace the steering rack after they put the bolts back in the wrong locations. Now whilst the steering has been dodgy the car has not really been used much instead of being the main car and used daily. So I understand that the filter has probably become clogged due to lack of use but I have been out for a run in it today for over an hour hoping that this would trigger a regeneration but to no avail. So my question is if the limp mode has activated is it a main dealer regeneration only to fix or can it be triggered by a long run as we were due to go to Scotland tomorrow but due to the car issue are not going now thinking that a main dealer visit on Monday morning is needed
These DPF systems are pretty Robust on the D5 It could well be a DPF sensor wire or pressure pipe left off after the job , it needs a bit of investigation at the dealer as to what is going on .. Generally when SOOT FILTER FULL comes up it will regenerate and clear itself after a 20 minute drive ..
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 20:14   #230
big doug

Default dpf.soot filter blocked

has anyone tried taking the dpf off their v70 as mine is getting blocked regularly and getting on my neves.ive been told it can be done any ideas thanks
big doug is offline   Reply With Quote