Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter tyres?

Views : 2050

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 15:14   #1
Timothy2

Default Winter tyres?

Hi all
As the weather is now getting colder I'm thinking about putting winter tyres on v60 r design.
But the tyres on at the moment are nearly new so I don't want to lose them.

I assume I just by 4 new winter tyres and store my summer tyres in shed.

Does anyone do this or is there a better way?
Do any companies offer a tyre Hotel?

Thanks
Timothy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 16:51   #2
soleil

We use MERItyre who change over our winter rims and tyres. They store the summer rims and tyres until they need to be swapped after the winter and vice versa. There is a small charge for this after buying the tyres through them in the first place. The Goodyear Ultra Grip Gen 1 are waiting at the garage for us to swap in early November. The Merityre price for these tyres was just a few pence/pounds out from the internet prices with delivery when we ordered them. Helpful and polite every time we go. Yes we could change them ourselves but then buying a jack, storing 4 tyres (with/without rims) horizontally takes up a fair bit of room in the garage...
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 18:58   #3
Rooster
Speed freak

If you can find another set of wheels to put the winter tyres on then it is less hassle to be swopping tyres about every 6 months,

Most s60/v60/v70/s80 wheels fit and there is plenty about, saves any risk of damaging your existing wheels and tyres
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 23:40   #4
buzzman

Default Tyre TLC during storage

If you plan to store tyres yourself. It's a good idea to read up on the dos & don'ts of tyre storage. There is plenty of material on line but this is one link that covers the topic: http://www.continentaltire.com/news/...-storing-tires

You'll be storing tyres all year round if running both summer & winter sets. Make sure the chosen location conditions are suitable for winter and summer. This will probably rule out the garden shed.

I'm currently caring for a set of wheels & tyres, with the spare guest room being used as the storage location! So I've a kind of tyre hotel atm! lol
buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 20:02   #5
Timothy2

I'm looking more for a Type hotel really, as I think it will be easier and possible cheaper!

I'm not keen on storing the tyres myself as I just don't have the room.
I've considered buying a second set of alloys but its pricey, specially when you add on the TPMS sensors in the tyres. Plus I'd still have to store the wheels somewhere!

Anyone know of any decent companies in West Yorkshire that do tyre hotels?

Thanks
Tim
Timothy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 21:26   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy2 View Post
I'm looking more for a Type hotel really, as I think it will be easier and possible cheaper!

I'm not keen on storing the tyres myself as I just don't have the room.
I've considered buying a second set of alloys but its pricey, specially when you add on the TPMS sensors in the tyres. Plus I'd still have to store the wheels somewhere!

Anyone know of any decent companies in West Yorkshire that do tyre hotels?

Thanks
Tim
Can’t think of a decent company...... but Kwikfit do it (only if you buy the tyres from them though....)
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2017, 08:52   #7
JMI

If you have the room to store your summer tyres, but you don't want a second set/winter set of wheels, the best way is when you take your summer tyres off the rims, clean them, put them in black plastic bags in a dry place sitting upright. Don't store a tyre without a rim on it's side, because it will bend and by next spring it'll be useless.
I personally would not pay anyone to get my tyres stored. It is a waste of money. If you can get a second set you save the hassle to swap tyres every few months and cut down the expense of £40-60 every time you do that.
There are also benefits to drive on smaller rims and winter size tyres. First you save money by buying the tyres cheaper and generally your car will behave much better with slimmer tyres in the snow.
Hope this helps.
JMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2017, 09:11   #8
MikeIOW
Premier Member

I've also always used spare old rims - on my last Saab I bought some rims from a fella who had discovered a massive rip on the *inside* sidewall on his old rims when he replaced them - made me think actually swapping them every 6 months isn't such a bad idea - it means your tyres get checked far more (perhaps 4-5 times as often) than normal (where normal may be every 2+ years for folk just replacing worn tyres).

Same reason I am 'happy' paying Costco (<insert your preferred garage here>) £30-40 to change the set and rebalance.
Tyres are THE most important thing on your car.....worth a little investment every now & then ;-)
Old Oct 26th, 2017, 09:15   #9
JMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeIOW View Post
I've also always used spare old rims - on my last Saab I bought some rims from a fella who had discovered a massive rip on the *inside* sidewall on his old rims when he replaced them - made me think actually swapping them every 6 months isn't such a bad idea - it means your tyres get checked far more (perhaps 4-5 times as often) than normal (where normal may be every 2+ years for folk just replacing worn tyres).

Same reason I am 'happy' paying Costco (<insert your preferred garage here>) £30-40 to change the set and rebalance.
Tyres are THE most important thing on your car.....worth a little investment every now & then ;-)
Your summer wheels should be balanced and checked every spring before you put them back on the car anyway. This is the proper way.
JMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2017, 11:23   #10
domhart10
Volvo S40

thought I might chip in to this section of the forum.

Yes as said if you are storing the wheels yourself you need to keep them on either their own wheels or just get some cheap steel wheels to put them on while in the shed. Tyre places that keep them for you are a bit expensive really, last year I was in a flat and kept my winters wrapped up under the bed or where every they could fit

I have a set of 18's for one half of the year and a set of 17s for the other half which has the winters on it

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter tyres