Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Washer Pumps (Again)

Views : 1899

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 13:21   #1
DJ
VOC Member

Default Washer Pumps (Again)

Does anyone know if there's a significant difference between the front and rear washer pumps as used on 240s? I posted a thread which included a query on sourcing a replacement pump. I followed the advice and acquired a couple from Lea Valley (extras as future spares).
My original front pump works but leaks where the tubes connect. I've taken delivery of one of each plus a spare. The visual difference is that the plastic housing around the electrical connector is black on the rear and opaque/clear (pump body colour) on the front. One of the new arrivals, a rear type, looks nearly new with no sign of past leaking whereas the replacement front one has a rusty baseplate and a slight weep. I'm wondering if it's OK to put the nicer newer "rear" one on for the front.
Ideas please, guys.
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 15:36   #2
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

All mine are at the front, with a long pipe to the back. So if the long run requires a higher pressure pump, then there must be two kinds of front pump, just to complicate (or simplify) the situation.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 16:59   #3
DJ
VOC Member

Thumbs up Washer Pumps (Again)

Thanks, Clifford-
Perhaps I was confusing people with "front" and "rear": What I meant was that there are two together at the front next to the washer bottle- one supplying the front and one the rear, as on yours.
I suspected that it might be a higher pressure for the rear one to supply the longer run to the tailgate (best not fit a rear to the front or I'll drench pedestrians with the headlamp washers)!
Dave
PS The Tee piece with a black cap on the tubing supplying the headlamp washers (behind the rad. grille) was leaking badly where the black cap is and I've replaced it with a new one. This is better but there's a still a slight "weep"- is this normal (pressure relief, perhaps)?
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 20:06   #4
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Not sure about weeping. I know I've often had trouble with these pipes. I think the T-piece is also a non-return valve, or anti-syphon, or something. I know I have had trouble with the bottle spontaneously draining itself by dribbling from the headlamp washers.
I confused the front/back question by half remembering that earlier models had a separate washer bottle at the back, rather than sharing the front bottle and using a long tube.
To come back to your question, I don't know whether the pumps have different pressure ratings. A converse factor would be that there is only one jet at the back, but 4 windscreen and two headlamp jets at the front. I only know that one or more are always blocked, but not always the same ones each time!
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 20:50   #5
DJ
VOC Member

Thumbs up Washer Pumps (Again)

Thanks again, Clifford-
Good point regarding number of jets, though, my 92 Torslanda (and my now sold 91 GL) had single jet windscreen washers which I replaced (while sorting out the pump and tubing, etc), as a matter of course, with Scantec ones. These have twin jets- this would be the only "upgrade" to an otherwise oiginal spec car . I'm tempted to put a signature with this as my "mod" so I don't feel left out among all the other members with their declared "tweaks"!
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 14:41   #6
wujtehacjusz

My washer pump is gone. Would you be able to share the name of supplier from which you acquired yours (I am aware that last post was made in 2006)?
wujtehacjusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 17:09   #7
chesters6
Master Member

i think they are both the same ,the rear probably isnt more powerful because of its distance because the front washes (or has the ability to wash) the headlamps through bigger diameter hose.I refurbed mine when i had the headlamps out and to me both looked identical.
as they are remote to the bottle pretty much any pump will do if its fed via a suitable fitting for a hose to connect to and out of IE some actually sit in the bottle or fit into the bottle, my 240's sit on a frame in front of the bottle.
one had stopped so i removed its base (4 little screws) and found the tiny rotating dooda had become crudded up so the outlet was blocked after cleaning it and carefully siliconing the base and screwing it back together it works fine.
i expect blowing in through the outlet (fit a longer bit of hose) and listening for bubbles in the bottle would let you know if the impeller (remember the doodas name!) or channel was clogged ,the motors themselves are very basic so a clean may work wonders

Last edited by chesters6; Jan 16th, 2010 at 17:19.
chesters6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chesters6 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2017, 19:28   #8
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Default Rear wash, not working.

Well 2006/10 is as good a place as any to pick up relevant old conversation to begin my question. Why re-start the plough when there's an already established furrow.

I've replace the valve in the rear offside wheel arch, and had a go at cleaning the tailgate jet, so as to get those dealt with out of the way. But anyway I don't get a buzzzzz on pressing the button to use the rear wash wipe. So there are connection or motor problems. The rear wiper does work so not the button itself.

Is there any difficult technique to prise the connections off the motor? Does the motor fix to the bottle bracket by those difficult to get at screws past the side of the motor barrel? They look at first glance like Allen key screws, so the ball ended Allen Keys I guess.

I can't find the wiring diagram yet. Is black earth and is the pump activated by connecting it to earth?

If I have to replace the pump, I'll ask FRF Volvo Swansea.

And I see Parts For Volvo have pumps - http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=6475 - for £19.09.

Or I just might get a non-Volvo bottle and pump to put in the rear wing. e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACP-Univer...IAAOSw3EFZjA03 for £11.28 looks suitable. 1.2 litre with pump moulded in to the bottle. Would power come from the wiring in the roof that supplies the rear wiper motor? Which colour wire on which side of the roof? I'd have to check amps and whether a relay was needed.

But first, I must find what the fault actually is.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 20:29   #9
BrianH
VOC Member

Talking about drowning pedestrians

I seem to have two exits jets on my headlight washers, one goes vertical sweeping across to the pedestrians.

Does puzzle me, must use some epoxy to sort this one day!

BrianH
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 11:28   #10
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Talking about drowning pedestrians

I seem to have two exits jets on my headlight washers, one goes vertical sweeping across to the pedestrians.

Does puzzle me, must use some epoxy to sort this one day!

BrianH

There are two holes. The jet nozzle and the other is perhaps a breather hole. Are the jets themselves a bit blocked?

Have you any info re the washer pumps? How to get them disconnected and removed from the bottle frame? Which way the wiring works? I'm in thick and slow condition at the moment and can't spot the answers to simple things.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote