Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

From XC60 to Porsche Macan or BMW X3?

Views : 160786

Replies : 1567

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2017, 17:53   #1361
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw View Post
One small point Arianne - you talk about the Velar being £70k and you mention it being £10k more than the F Pace.... I havent done much research but when I was looking I was finding F Pace with reasonable spec was £56 or £57k - now with some discount available... So isnt the Velar under normal circumstances more like £15k extra - - or more than 25% of the price of the Jag?

It was top of the list of cars to look at for me but its just too expensive for me to consider. The F Pace is out as my son in law has sent his back due to electrical gremlins and I dont really like the looks.

I've binned off the Macan as a facelift version is due that may or may not have revised exterior, new dash and new engines....

So back to the drawing board. Had promised myself petrol so GLC43 or new X3 M40i are top of the list on that front. But starting to wonder whether I can get a better car for no more money if I go for a normal estate like a 540i X Drive or E43 estate (slightly second hand in the case of the latter).

Or an X5 M50d as a pre reg for not dissimilar money...
To access the 3.0d V6 meant a starting price of about £62k, if my memory serves me correct. I then added some options to bring it up to the same approximate standard as my F-Pace S. That took me to about £67k. My F-Pace was £57k.

Later, Mrs A suggested she fancied a sunroof. Meanwhile, I fancied the full extended leather pack (for the reasons I have stated in my review) and also an upgrade to the audio system. And that friends took us to £70,245.

As an exercise in financial management it probably comes close to your average public sector IT digital project outturn! I will win no awards on that count.

On the other hand, we have the financial firepower and we both agreed that, having been given an opportunity to swap the F-Pace for the Velar, we would configure it to be exactly what we wanted ...... for ourselves.

That's how I arrived at my +£10k to broadly match the F-Pace we had with the Velar. Of course, the Velar comes complete with a pile of bits & bobs as well as cabin design that pumps the price up anyway.

As an aside, I forgot to mention that the Velar has a rear wiper tucked away out of sight under the rear tailgate spoiler. I hadn't noticed it as you cannot see it but the demonstrator had the tell-tale sweep of the wiper blade across the rear glass. And the Velar comes with LED headlamps as standard on our car but it was an upgrade on the F-Pace. We didn't find the F-Pace bi-xenon headlamps very good at all. Our XC60 had great bi-xenon and we expected the same from the Jaguar. But they were night and day (excuse the pun).

Hope this explains a bit about the pricing and my rationale?

Regards,

Arianne
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 17:57   #1362
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Now bear with me here......I think I am going bonkers......
We have for years had an MPV as our second car.....from Zafira to Mazda 5 to the last couple of S-Max's
The SMax is an amazing vehicle if you need a 7 seater: handles well for a barge, incredibly flexible and reasonably comfortable. So MrsMikeIOW enjoys her SMax.
But I'm now thinking about changing it for an AWD SMax.
180bhp, HUGE carrying capacity (compared with XC), reasonable perf/mpg claims, we certainly know how good they are
When I look, they do some pretty swish options these days (our current one is a 2013 model), including stuff like the adaptive cruise, flippyflappy active headlights, reverse cameras (& even parking option!), etc etc.
Would clearly cost considerably less than an equivalent XC60. List top price new would be no more than about 40 with EVERY option ticked, and we all know Ford will discount heavily, or we could look for a 6-12 month used one.

So I am (half) considering changing hers for one of those - with the possibility in a year or two of later swapping my XC for something smaller (XC40 perhaps....or maybe a full electric something for local runs).

Might depend how nicely the SMax feels - the seats are the one thing that Volvo do exceptionally well, & IMHO way better than the SMax, but we have done long runs in our SMax before, & maybe the newer ones are also improved.

Just a brief diversion from the £50-70K vehicles that this thread extended into....wonder how an SMax AWD handles snowy mountain runs.... !!
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 19:19   #1363
Braehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeIOW View Post
Now bear with me here......I think I am going bonkers......
We have for years had an MPV as our second car.....from Zafira to Mazda 5 to the last couple of S-Max's
The SMax is an amazing vehicle if you need a 7 seater: handles well for a barge, incredibly flexible and reasonably comfortable. So MrsMikeIOW enjoys her SMax.
But I'm now thinking about changing it for an AWD SMax.
180bhp, HUGE carrying capacity (compared with XC), reasonable perf/mpg claims, we certainly know how good they are
When I look, they do some pretty swish options these days (our current one is a 2013 model), including stuff like the adaptive cruise, flippyflappy active headlights, reverse cameras (& even parking option!), etc etc.
Would clearly cost considerably less than an equivalent XC60. List top price new would be no more than about 40 with EVERY option ticked, and we all know Ford will discount heavily, or we could look for a 6-12 month used one.

So I am (half) considering changing hers for one of those - with the possibility in a year or two of later swapping my XC for something smaller (XC40 perhaps....or maybe a full electric something for local runs).

Might depend how nicely the SMax feels - the seats are the one thing that Volvo do exceptionally well, & IMHO way better than the SMax, but we have done long runs in our SMax before, & maybe the newer ones are also improved.

Just a brief diversion from the £50-70K vehicles that this thread extended into....wonder how an SMax AWD handles snowy mountain runs.... !!
I've had two s-max, the second being the 210bhp titanium x Sport model with all the ford toys at the time. It could shift! Just watch out for reliability of the powershift gearbox (do some Google time). I almost bought the new model and fancied the AWD but it cuts down on boot spec and I couldn't find a dealer that had one to try. The gearbox issues I had in the last one put me off a bit too. I then decided on a brief affair with a Disco 4 HSE lux before seeing the light and buying my current XC90 R design. Gave strong consideration to staying with LR but the D5 just didn't do it for me and stacked up poorly in the value for money stakes against the XC90. I never regretted my two S-Max and they were great cars but they never really brought a smile to my face the way my XC90 does.
Braehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Braehead For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 19:56   #1364
NigelDay
Premier Member

What a thread. We started with the Macan and X3, had a diversion to F-Pace and RR Velar, and now we are discussing the SMax. Wonderful !
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 21:00   #1365
tem
Premier Member

I can only think that the Moderators like this thread.
In the past, when a thread became basically a non Volvo topic, they moved it over to the "Lounge".

tem.
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 21:48   #1366
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
In the past, when a thread became basically a non Volvo topic, they moved it over to the "Lounge".

tem.
I think once we get a few 'new XC60' folk on board, the great debate may re-focus.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 22:00   #1367
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
I think once we get a few 'new XC60' folk on board, the great debate may re-focus.
The Moderators have moved the new "60" series onto the XC90, V90 and S90 forum.
If all goes to plan, you will not see many new XC60 threads here.

tem.
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 22:22   #1368
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post

tem.
Noooooo!

The Lounge is a strange place. I went there once but I didn't like it. It was spooky.

I have only really ever posted on this part of the forum since ordering my 2014 XC60. And prior to that the XC90 forum.

To the Moderators out there - give this humble, understated but eclectic thread a Wild Card and let it meander along its undefined path here on the friendly and mainstream '60 technical forum. Here the banter is mainstream and the folk 'sound in mind' and of good taste!

Best wishes,

Arianne

PS. Can we stop talking about those fully loaded S-Max AWD Fords? At approximately half the price of the Velar it is beginning to hurt! I am wondering whether it might have been better to have chosen one of them. Okay, the alloys will be corroding after 12mths but, at that price, who cares. You can buy two sequentially after three years and probably still have saved compared to the Velar. What a seed you boys have planted in my head! Anyone want a delivery mileage Velar? Available from September....
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 22:58   #1369
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
PS. Can we stop talking about those fully loaded S-Max AWD Fords? At approximately half the price of the Velar it is beginning to hurt! I am wondering whether it might have been better to have chosen one of them. Okay, the alloys will be corroding after 12mths but, at that price, who cares. You can buy two sequentially after three years and probably still have saved compared to the Velar. What a seed you boys have planted in my head! Anyone want a delivery mileage Velar? Available from September....
And then there is the fully loaded Skoda Superb L&K 4x4.
Now I'll shut up !
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 23:03   #1370
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
And then there is the fully loaded Skoda Superb L&K 4x4.
Now I'll shut up !
In all truth, the Superb is my fall back Plan B if the Velar goes back!

Arianne

Tags
bmw x3, porsche macan