Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

From XC60 to Porsche Macan or BMW X3?

Views : 160637

Replies : 1567

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2017, 13:58   #1451
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
This is moving towards Porsche Macan money.......do you sometimes feel threads go round in circles. Lol
Not with much spec on it!

Interestingly, one of the weekly mags has tested a 3.0d Velar against its competitors this week - they chose an Audi Q7 (dont think that has been mentioned yet) and a Porsche Cayenne. The Audi was a 3.0d 272hp and the Cayenne a V8 D - the Audi listed at about £58k, the Velar at £70k....
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 14:27   #1452
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
This is moving towards Porsche Macan money.......do you sometimes feel threads go round in circles. Lol
It's okay for you. You just have to read the thread, I am actually living it!!!

Groundhog day anyone?

Arianne
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 12:56   #1453
Crockers
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw View Post
Not with much spec on it!

Interestingly, one of the weekly mags has tested a 3.0d Velar against its competitors this week - they chose an Audi Q7 (dont think that has been mentioned yet) and a Porsche Cayenne. The Audi was a 3.0d 272hp and the Cayenne a V8 D - the Audi listed at about £58k, the Velar at £70k....
The Macan is based on the old Q5 so yours has better architecture. The new Cayenne is based on the new Q7 architecture. I'm sure there's a new Macan in the wings. Only thing that puts me off Porsche is the arrogance of the dealership. When I was looking the opening gambit was "how long has it been your ambition to own a Porsche?" I actually laughed.

Mind you that may have been just the salesman.
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 14:11   #1454
Arianne
Premier Member

^^ must be dealer specific.

We have twice visited Porsche Edinburgh and found them to be the best of any Edinburgh car dealership of whatever brand.

They let us have unaccompanied, looooong test drives of their cars and there was absolutely no pressure whatsoever. They knew their cars but had a believe that, if you want to buy a Porsche, you will do so on the product and that the hard-sell isn't necessary.

We definitely left feeling that to own Porsche is to belong to a 'special group' of folk who love the Porsche thing! The trouble is...... the Porsche thing isn't something we love even though we tried twice and wanted to make it happen. It didn't. Like love then!

Arianne
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 16:06   #1455
isleaiw
Master Member

^^^ same with Land Rover

I only dealt with Porsche by email and phone, and didn't find them particularly customer focused or helpful, but very keen to get a deposit.

Local Land Rover dealer were crap though - thought all they needed to do was sit there and take an order. Mocked one or two of the options I said I was considering - big mistake. Decided I wasn't really their type of customer as all they talked about was the image and glitz and rarely the car. Maybe the difference between localities and type of customer in each I suspect....
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 16:11   #1456
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw View Post
^^^ same with Land Rover

I only dealt with Porsche by email and phone, and didn't find them particularly customer focused or helpful, but very keen to get a deposit.

Local Land Rover dealer were crap though - thought all they needed to do was sit there and take an order. Mocked one or two of the options I said I was considering - big mistake. Decided I wasn't really their type of customer as all they talked about was the image and glitz and rarely the car. Maybe the difference between localities and type of customer in each I suspect....
So what did you buy?
MY10 XC90 D5 R design Red MY04 XC90 D5 SE RED
95 940 2 ltr D Silver Auto /84 740 2ltr D Red
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 18:34   #1457
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
So what did you buy?
New SQ5 - petrol V6. With 21" wheels, pan roof, light and vision pack, B&O sound, and a few other bits. From the dealer where I had bought a previous A6, got a stock car too so no long wait either....
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 20:42   #1458
NigelDay
Premier Member

It is so often the dealer who makes or breaks a purchase. I had TWO bad experiences with different Audi dealers in 2015 when I was shortlisting. In a word, they displayed total indifference to a private buyer. I have owned VWs from 1984 to 2009, so was quite willing to give the Q5 a test drive, but I just thought the dealerships were going to be too much like hard work, so I never actually got behind the wheel !
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 21:17   #1459
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
It is so often the dealer who makes or breaks a purchase. I had TWO bad experiences with different Audi dealers in 2015 when I was shortlisting. In a word, they displayed total indifference to a private buyer. I have owned VWs from 1984 to 2009, so was quite willing to give the Q5 a test drive, but I just thought the dealerships were going to be too much like hard work, so I never actually got behind the wheel !
To be fair my then local Audi dealer had pretty much put me off the brand forever before I bought the A6 from Hull. Then I saw a car with them that when I enquirer had been sold, but found a sales guy who was willing to make an effort to find me a different one and do a deal to get it to right price. He kept in touch after the purchase too and earned the right to have a go at sellling me another - and came close enough to DtD to get the gig and found me a stock car with the spec I wanted (pretty much).

As you say, it's often the dealer. Shame he is 200 miles away and I will have to find somewhere to service it near home but hopefully it won't see the garage too often - and at least there are dealers to choose from unlike Porsche which are few and far between.
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 10:34   #1460
Chief inspector
Master Member

That seems familiar, a friend with an A6 wanted an S5 (new) Audi Glasgow - which I understand is the largest Audi dealer in the world (or was) repeatedly mis quoted the wrong car, didn't call back and were an utter nightmare.

I suggested he look at a smaller dealer near a train station he could get to, deal done eventually with Audi Carlisle, great service, found one in the pipeline for early delivery, better price and no ****e.

He loves the S5 but boy is it eating fuel!

Tags
bmw x3, porsche macan