Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

20" Wheels - excessive road noise

Views : 102226

Replies : 1289

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2016, 09:47   #21
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basoom View Post
I test drove ( year ago) inscription on 20" and noticed the road noise to be as issue however decided to order an XC90 because I loved everything else. I went for the R design expecting for the road noise to be as much. I was surprised when I drive it and found the noise not as much as intrusive as in the inscription.
Don't get me wrong, road noise is still excessive but found it not as bad the test drive car. Now I don't know is this me getting used to it with biased biew or there's actual difference.
I am sure none of them have air suspensions.
I have not changed tyre pressures on mine as they are 260-270 on all fours.

Have anyone notice a difference between the two?

Bassoon
This is an interesting point basoom. As I stated at the top of the thread, my garages demonstrator which we had for about 80 miles last week is an R Design, with same wheel size, tyres and air suspension like ours. The sound levels were different, and a little more acceptable. I don't know what the difference is. The demonstrator had B&W which my car doesn't, and I wondered if this was the effect of some form of active noise cancellation.

Do you have B&W and know if the Inscription you test drove had it?

:wq
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 10:09   #22
basoom

Neither the inscription nor mine have B&W speakers.
I also test drive momentum with B&W on 20" at the time and found the noise similar. At the time no R design was available to test drive.

Is it possible the difference in alloys design plays some parts or it just got older with less hearing?

Basoom
basoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 10:48   #23
familymangreg
Premier Member

All, there is also a dedicated thread on this subject on this thread on the Volvo Support Forum, its been going over 6 months and contributors claim recognition from Volvo, but no resolution.

I'd encourage anyone who hasn't to have a read and add there experience, the more voices on the subject the better.

Old Jul 6th, 2016, 10:57   #24
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
I have laminated sides. I think they are a waste of money as the noise is coming through the chassis
I ordered laminated for security, nothing else, just thought should mention in case it is relevant.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 12:00   #25
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
I ordered laminated for security, nothing else, just thought should mention in case it is relevant.
You mean crash Safety not Security right? I believe tailgate window is not laminated so a keen person with a hammer can still get inside.

I am sure they are helping you with noise reduction as you don't have the tyre noise coming in. For those of us who do - they are pointless.
Deman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 12:10   #26
Denedriver

Default Road noise XC90

Volvo are aware of the problem, it is two fold: Inadequate insulation and a fault in the B post that transmits noise up to the side of your ear. On early MY16 with 20 inch alloys there was a very significant resonance at 70 mph on concrete motorway. I had an MY16 on 20 inch cross cut alloys. Changed the wheels to 21 inch inscription which could run with Pirelli noise cancelling tyres (foam strip inside tyre). This stopped the resonance but still too loud. Despite some very good endeavours from my Volvo dealer, I could not live with the car and PX'd for a new model Q7. It is much better on noise, ride and performance, if not as design aesthetically nice as the Volvo> I look forward to driving it, which sadly I did not with the XC90.
Denedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Denedriver For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 12:19   #27
eax

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
I know, I notice Steve Fowler from Auto Express is running at D5 Inscription on 20's as a long termer at the moment. I've mailed him for his thoughts.

This Steve Fowler? http://www.automotiveworld.com/news-...ear-running-2/

He (Autoexpress) just awarded them best car of the year again. 2nd year running.
eax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 13:13   #28
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eax View Post
This Steve Fowler? http://www.automotiveworld.com/news-...ear-running-2/

He (Autoexpress) just awarded them best car of the year again. 2nd year running.
Yes that's right. I hadn't seen that award though, good spot! The car pictured in this article on the Auto Express website is the car Steve Fowler is running as a long termer, see here.

I'll start a new thread for this award to keep this one on the road noise topic.

Old Jul 6th, 2016, 15:43   #29
shortword

Just my 2C on this, I've done 200Km in my car since yesterday. Country, town, motorway (140kph) etc and I do not find any issue with road noise. I've come from a 2014 MY Audi A7 sports sedan on 20" rims also.

My XC90 is a T8 R-Design on 20" with Conti SUV tyres. it's an absolute dream to drive.
shortword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2016, 15:49   #30
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortword View Post
Just my 2C on this, I've done 200Km in my car since yesterday. Country, town, motorway (140kph) etc and I do not find any issue with road noise. I've come from a 2014 MY Audi A7 sports sedan on 20" rims also.

My XC90 is a T8 R-Design on 20" with Conti SUV tyres. it's an absolute dream to drive.
Good info to hear, thanks. Can I ask what country you were/are in?

The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post: