Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wildly inaccurate MPG

Views : 1750

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2017, 07:22   #11
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPedal View Post
Interesting... How much difference do you get in (real) mpg between the two? I'm using Tesco at the moment but could be persuaded to try Shell if it was going to work out more economical overall.

It's funny that it would make a difference since the ECU will be doing its mpg calculations based on how long the injectors are open for rather than any sort of power measurement. The only way I can see the fuel brand making a difference to the accuracy is if the shell fuel was more viscous so less flow for the same injector time.
IIRC Using Shell the Car was generally optimistic by 2-3mpg, with Tesco it was usually a difference of around 5mpg.

All the stats are available on my Fuelly profile in you want to have a look.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 09:45   #12
krzemien

Ditto (and I stopped using supermarket fuel nearly the moment after I started - did not like slightly different engine clatter) - I use Shell V-Power or Total Excellium Diesel only
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 17:35   #13
poiuytre111

I once had a BMW diesel with wildly optimistic mpg readings that had been given a fairly crude remap - primarily an increase in fuel rail pressure. I always assumed the two things were linked - has your car been remapped perhaps ?
poiuytre111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 18:15   #14
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiuytre111 View Post
I once had a BMW diesel with wildly optimistic mpg readings that had been given a fairly crude remap - primarily an increase in fuel rail pressure. I always assumed the two things were linked - has your car been remapped perhaps ?
Shouldn't be

The engine control unit opens the injectors for xx microseconds

Given known fuel rail pressure and injector size and injector opening time, the amount of fuel used can be measured exactly. Regardless of remap.

Combine exact fuel usage with exact distance travelled and you can calculate the MPG (or km/100L)

I think it may be more a sampling size issue

At any rate, it is entirely software driven and no adjustment is possible....
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 19:41   #15
Desperate

Doesn't matter what fuel we use the display reckons 38-40 mpg whereas in reality we get 32mpg in our manual xc90 which although I figure isn't too bad it does indicate that the makers inhabit some kind of parallel universe.

Desp
Desperate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 07:42   #16
huron
Master Member

Smile

V70 Tdi, run from Cornwall to Gatwick then on to Eastbourne, return the following day. Good steady limit plus speeds with little stop/start. Full tank to start and full tank when home, 51 on comp. 51 actual. Only time they ever matched. Normally comp. 2/3 optimistic and all on Morrisons fuel.

Last edited by huron; Sep 16th, 2017 at 07:43. Reason: spelling
huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 00:42   #17
aland

I have a 163 D5 on 255k, most of which I've driven.
Mine is not AWD, and is manual.
Currently the (optimistic) trip computer reads 53.4 mpg. I expect when I calculate it brim-brim it'll be about 45-48 mpg, which is typical for my car.

BUT... I've found that my best MPG is consistently from V-Power and the worst from Tesco diesel.
When I was doing 200 miles per day on a commute, I ran various fuels to compare them. I worked back to a cost per mile.
For me, Tesco worked out the most expensive per mile, and v-power the best. Other supermarket fuel was marginally better. BP Ultimate was similar to v-power.
On the first tank of premium diesel after poor fuel, mpg will be better.
On the second tank it will be better still - and will remain similar while you use the same fuel.

Your auto box and AWD will reduce the MPG considerably compared to my car however.
I also tend to sit in lane 1 on the motorway if in no rush, it's much more economic at ~60 mpg than 70+.

With a combination of decent fuel and infrequent 'foot to the floor' 700-750 miles per (70L) tank is easily achievable.
aland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 14:52   #18
Proghound
Volvo and Audi owner

Previous 180hp D5 manual would almost always get MORE mpg when calculated brim-to-brim against mileage, than the computer suggested with reset at each fill-up. Current D3 Geartronic gets almost exactly what the computer says in reality. Both cars were/are used mainly on 40-60mph long runs (15 miles or more with each start-up), light foot on the loud pedal and no more than 65mph on cruise control on longer motorway runs. D3 gets 43-45mpg, D5 would get 46-48mpg. Shell standard diesel throughout.

Current: 2012 C70 D3 SE Lux Solstice Geartronic, Caspian Blue.
Also: 2002 Audi A2 TDI SE, Crystal Blue
Previous: 2008 C70 D5 SE manual, Flint Grey.

Last edited by Proghound; Sep 26th, 2017 at 14:58.
Proghound is offline   Reply With Quote