Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Polestar I couldn't resist.

Views : 11498

Replies : 138

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2017, 20:16   #11
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Once you have flavoured the Polestar tune, you will NOT look back!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NewVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 20:17   #12
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
One thing I meant to ask them is if the car (or should I just say the AUTO BOX) needs to re - learn your driving style, as I was told it did after a hardware/software re-set, or generally you know when you get it back after it’s been staying at the dealers for a few hours!
The fact I will only have owned the car less than 2 weeks from new, it probably not really learned my driving style yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobby2000 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2017, 22:28   #13
cheshired5
Premier Member

I know they're technically "run in" but on a brand new engine, I'd loosen it up a bit first before assessing its merits.
I doubt it's realised its full potential with so few miles covered.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2017, 03:56   #14
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
I know they're technically "run in" but on a brand new engine, I'd loosen it up a bit first before assessing its merits.
I doubt it's realised its full potential with so few miles covered.
I know exactly what you mean and do agree about having more miles on the clock, but the special offer is the reason for having it done now. I wouldn't dream of having it done if it wasn't backed by Volvo.
I expect that special offers will be repeated in the future, but I also think the initial cost will tend to go up over the years. It just seems like a good time, all the reviews of Polestar seem positive, and I had on my previous car. Only time will tell I guess, but with the 14 day trial I haven't really got anything to lose.
Old Oct 7th, 2017, 08:47   #15
bod

I have just rung my Dealer about this offer, could I ask where it has been offered?
They are looking into it for me! but didn't know anything about it.

Cheers Andrew
bod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bod For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2017, 08:57   #16
Jcbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bod View Post
I have just rung my Dealer about this offer, could I ask where it has been offered?
They are looking into it for me! but didn't know anything about it.

Cheers Andrew
Go to Volvo UK, Use person icon (top right) to sign in (what used to be called "My Volvo" I think)

Once signed in go back to person icon and select "Offers". You should see "Polestar Performance Optimisation £200 discount" listed. You can get more details and print it off to show them.

I've been umming-and-ahhing over this for a few weeks now. general consensus from reading the various posts is it is good. Think I might nip down my local dealer this afternoon and see what the can do
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 10:34   #17
Beckhamboy

Thumbs up Thoughts on the Polestar upgrade

I bought my XC90 D5 (MY 2016) with 9000 miles in January 2017 to replace a 2014 BMW X3 MSport and now 11,000 miles later I'm still delighted.
A couple of weeks ago, after much thought and persuaded by the £200 discount, I had the Polestar optimisation installed by my local Dealer, Holden's in Norwich (I didn't buy the car from them but they have been most helpful, even collecting and returning the car free of charge).
So what difference has the Polestar made?
Firstly I notice that the engine doesn't sound quite so typically diesel when I first start it in the garage. It's not gone quiet, but it does seem to have lost some of the rattle that diesels typically have.
Secondly, whilst the car was not exactly slow previously, it now seems to have an eager athleticism about it and small increments of pressure on the accelerator produce significant results. Most importantly the 40-80 or even 90 acceleration seems much more rapid with a noticeable push in the back. It's no tyre shredding boy racer, but then neither am I, but it is responsive and good to drive.
Thirdly, prior to Polestar I was experiencing a slight hesitation at times - often when coming into a roundabout on a trailing throttle at about 15-20mph, ready to brake if necessary, then seeing that the way was clear and on pressing the accelerator again the car would take half a second or so to react before seeming to drop one gear too many and then accelerating fiercely. Not as bad as it sounds but I like to pride myself on being a smooth driver and there were times when the car caught me out! I'm delighted to say that this behaviour has now completely gone and the gear changes are now imperceptible and the correct gear always seems to be selected.
Fuel consumption doesn't seem to have altered, but perhaps I'm just enjoying the improved performance and a long run may prove me wrong.
Finally my Insurance Company did not wish any additional premium from me.
And am I going to take the option to have it removed after 14 days? certainly not, I'm enjoying it too much.
Beckhamboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beckhamboy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 10:58   #18
KNVXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckhamboy View Post
I bought my XC90 D5 (MY 2016) with 9000 miles in January 2017 to replace a 2014 BMW X3 MSport and now 11,000 miles later I'm still delighted.
A couple of weeks ago, after much thought and persuaded by the £200 discount, I had the Polestar optimisation installed by my local Dealer, Holden's in Norwich (I didn't buy the car from them but they have been most helpful, even collecting and returning the car free of charge).
So what difference has the Polestar made?
Firstly I notice that the engine doesn't sound quite so typically diesel when I first start it in the garage. It's not gone quiet, but it does seem to have lost some of the rattle that diesels typically have.
Secondly, whilst the car was not exactly slow previously, it now seems to have an eager athleticism about it and small increments of pressure on the accelerator produce significant results. Most importantly the 40-80 or even 90 acceleration seems much more rapid with a noticeable push in the back. It's no tyre shredding boy racer, but then neither am I, but it is responsive and good to drive.
Thirdly, prior to Polestar I was experiencing a slight hesitation at times - often when coming into a roundabout on a trailing throttle at about 15-20mph, ready to brake if necessary, then seeing that the way was clear and on pressing the accelerator again the car would take half a second or so to react before seeming to drop one gear too many and then accelerating fiercely. Not as bad as it sounds but I like to pride myself on being a smooth driver and there were times when the car caught me out! I'm delighted to say that this behaviour has now completely gone and the gear changes are now imperceptible and the correct gear always seems to be selected.
Fuel consumption doesn't seem to have altered, but perhaps I'm just enjoying the improved performance and a long run may prove me wrong.
Finally my Insurance Company did not wish any additional premium from me.
And am I going to take the option to have it removed after 14 days? certainly not, I'm enjoying it too much.
Exactly my experience. Haven't come across a post that says, they got Polestar removed after the 14 day trial.
MY17 XC90 D5 PP P* Inscription, MagicBlue, Amber VentilatedMassage Seats, Birch, Homelink, Winter+HUD, Xenium, 7SeatComfort, Air, 20", Laminated&Tinted, AuxHeater, BLIS, AndroidAuto, B&W, RunningBoards
MY21 Kia e-Niro 4+
Prev: MY02 Mazda 6 TS2
KNVXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KNVXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 16:03   #19
AB-UK
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckhamboy View Post
Secondly, whilst the car was not exactly slow previously, it now seems to have an eager athleticism about it ......... it is responsive and good to drive.
Thirdly, prior to Polestar I was experiencing a slight hesitation at times - often when coming into a roundabout on a trailing throttle at about 15-20mph, ready to brake if necessary, then seeing that the way was clear and on pressing the accelerator again the car would take half a second or so to react before seeming to drop one gear too many and then accelerating fiercely. ...... this behaviour has now completely gone and the gear changes are now imperceptible and the correct gear always seems to be selected.
This is how a car of this price and "luxury" should behave - you shouldn't have to pay £800 to remove the imperfections you and others have identified by their absence on application of Polestar. Volvo are selling an under-performing vehicle and then asking customers to pay for the dubious privilege of now having it work at optimum levels - adjustments which should have been performed before the car left the factory.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 20:14   #20
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
This is how a car of this price and "luxury" should behave - you shouldn't have to pay £800 to remove the imperfections you and others have identified by their absence on application of Polestar. Volvo are selling an under-performing vehicle and then asking customers to pay for the dubious privilege of now having it work at optimum levels - adjustments which should have been performed before the car left the factory.
Totally agree. I don't have a problem with Volvo selling an enhanced performance option that produces more power/torque and/or remaps the engine for those that want the extra oomph. But asking us to pay to fix the under-performing gearbox is really taking the p1ss.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post: