Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help with 185hp d5 egr removal.

Views : 5710

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2017, 11:25   #1
Vol S80 Lux
My first Volvo

Default Help with 185hp d5 egr removal.

Hello

Iv been told my trusty mechanic that I need to clean the egr valve on my s80 2.4 d5.

Iv located it, removed the necessary pipework and removed the 2 10mm bolts at the top but I cant find any more bolts presumably underneath the egr.

Is the a 'how to' for this or any advice for where I need to look to remove the egr?

Thanks in advance.
Vol S80 Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 11:35   #2
Vol S80 Lux
My first Volvo

My vin is YV1AS714171005896 if that helps.

Hope it does
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 13:04   #3
tt82
Forum Support Team

The EGR valve bolts to the EGR cooler from the cooler side. This means the bolts are hidden underneath the high pressure fuel pump. When I cleaned mine, it was a case of removing the pipes to the EGR valve on both sides, remove the undertray, cover the engine/radiators with a bin bag and do the best job you can, allowing the gunk to fall down in between the bags to the floor underneath.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 16:33   #4
Vol S80 Lux
My first Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
The EGR valve bolts to the EGR cooler from the cooler side. This means the bolts are hidden underneath the high pressure fuel pump. When I cleaned mine, it was a case of removing the pipes to the EGR valve on both sides, remove the undertray, cover the engine/radiators with a bin bag and do the best job you can, allowing the gunk to fall down in between the bags to the floor underneath.
So it looks like a cooler pipe removal job. I think thats a bit too much for me. Might have to let the mechanic have a go.
I have seen a few pics and vids of this online. I was hoping i could avoid that.
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 16:52   #5
Dancake
Premier Member

The cooler will be full of soot and carbon as well, so removing only the valve for cleaning would be a pointless exercise if it was possible. All you have to do is clamp the top coolant hose to prevent the block from draining, then remove the hoses from the cooler as well as the three screws holding the cooler and valve to the engine block. There really isn't much to it. The Euro 4 EGR is a bit more complicated than the Euro 3 equivalent, but if you have time and patience it's well within the remit of a diy mechanic.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 17:16   #6
tt82
Forum Support Team

Indeed the cooler will be full of soot as well, I have a suspicion that eventually this soot will block it up as the pipes through the cooler are only narrow and the issue will resolve itself. As to whether there is merit to only cleaning the valve and not the cooler as well? Well the intake manifold will also be full of soot but removing this is a bit more complex and if you follow Volvo's instructions about using new injectors seals - £40 per injector- also quite expensive!

I have added a picture of a D5 engine with the associated EGR Valve/Cooler, would it be possible for you to show us where the bolts for the cooler are, as I've not been able to see them previously.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (190.6 KB, 148 views)

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 16:29   #7
Vol S80 Lux
My first Volvo

Iv just spent a few minutes to follow the cooler pipe but i cant locate any screws/bolts for it. The battery cage gets in the way which might need removing.

Is there any clear info/diagram out there I could use to find out how to go about the egr and cooler pipe removal?
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 19:09   #8
tommyweaves
Premier Member

If you have an early P3 D5 185 then isn't it the same engine as the late P2 D5 185?

If that's the case then have a look on that forum.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2017, 19:43   #9
Vol S80 Lux
My first Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyweaves View Post
If you have an early P3 D5 185 then isn't it the same engine as the late P2 D5 185?

If that's the case then have a look on that forum.
What Iv done is left the egr bolted on the car and removed the pipework from both ends and cleaned all the way through. Its still not any better. Thats what Iv found on other forums too. The car is still sluggish in lower gears/revs and the smell of diesel is still there when I put the heaters on.

At least Iv had a go. Must let the mechanic try now. But I will be watching him. Might takes some pics as well.
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 21:13   #10
Vol S80 Lux
My first Volvo

Update.

I didnt go to the mechanic. Instead I took the four 8mm bolts on the end if the egr off and removed the butterfly on the air filter side. Not sure what the exact name for it is. With that out of the way, the view was much better, and so I realised the egr was still coked up. I spent a good 2hours cleaning the egr. I used petrol to clean the black right angled pipe that connects the egr to the top side of the engine and an old toothbrush and rag.

Result; all is well. The power delivery/throttle response is brilliant again and the smell of diesel from the air vents has gone too. Really pleased to see 40 pounds in my pocket and the car back to how it used to be. Havent done anything with the cooler pipe but I assume it wasnt too bad anyway.